Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Merry Prankster Take You To The World Tree

Section8

Cipher
Tags: Merry Prankster Games; To The World Tree

<a href="http://www.prankster.com/index.html">Merry Prankster Games</a>, a one man independent development house, have offered up an RPG project entitled <a href="http://www.prankster.com/ttwt/index.htm">To The World Tree</a> as a free download since late last year, but it has managed to skip under the Codex's all-seeing eye until now. From the website's blurb:
<br>
<blockquote>In To the World Tree you control first a lone adventurer, and later a party of adventurers, as they journey through a mystical world of magic, battle, and mystery, in a quest for the legendary World Tree. To the World Tree is a single-player, party-based, computer role-playing game designed for computers running Microsoft Windows. Best of all, To The World Tree is free for your personal enjoyment.</blockquote>
<br>
The developer, Geoff Dunbar, intends the game to be a proof of concept for bigger and better things, and a learning experience for himself. From my own pokings and proddings, it seems to be Baldur's Gate style gameplay in a Spiderweb-ish engine with a setting rooted in Norse Mythology. It seems pretty stable and playable, so head on over, check it out, and show some support for another indie. It's also worth having a read of the <a href="http://www.prankster.com/ttwt/blog.htm">development blog</a> for a bit more perspective on the game.
<br>
<br>
Cheers <b>UDM</b> for the heads up!
<br>
<br>
<br>

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Using the indie naming scheme, the following games become:
  • Fallout: To The Water Chip
    Fallout 2: To The GECK
    Oblivion: To The (Shit I've played this one and can't remember what it was to)
    Morrowind: To The Demon Heart Thing

Section8

Cipher
To Isengard-gard-g-g-g-gard-gard!

Anyway, my first impressions. The character generation is a little bit frustrating, because you can't unallocate points from anything, you have to cancel and start over. With the skill selection, it's not immediately obvious that the list scrolls and there are half a dozen more choices.

As for the game itself, it's pretty standard. Click to move, click to interact/attack. There are a few quirks (like having to drag and drop items to pick them up instead of simply single clicking) but on the whole it's pretty solid. However, I'd have to show rare patience to really get into the game. The developer himself admits that it starts slowly, and that's a serious fault which is good, but it feels too much like Baldur's Gate for me.

Anyone else tried it out?

Still, personal preferences aside, there's a lot of potential there, and I'll definitely be following the developments to see what comes of it all.

spacemoose

Erudite
looking at the screens I was about to get all indignant about how they could be asking money for this crap, then I noticed that it was free.

so now I'm gonna get all indignant about how they expect me to play this crap without paying ME

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom