Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

omega21

Arcane
Just let me skip the helicopter flight during insertion.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
ooo_zpsoupmikxr.jpg

1460434761434452650.gif

Kaz, im already a demon pachinko.

----------------------------------------------------------------

About what Belisarius said: I don't have any problem with the main mission structure in terms of design, excepting those GTA style about destroying tanks (Whose I started to find enjoyable thanks to the diferrent ways you can use against those tanks). Main missions are bounded in a certain area and the start points aren't too far of the objetives. Also you can make the landing zone closer destroying certain things in enemy basements.

My problem with the open world is with the secondaries missions, were the game doesn't explain properly about the fast travel system. The fact that you can't skip the chopper intro and the loading screens being a bit too long doesn't help either. I'm trying to get the 100%, I'm doing the secondaries mission and it's a bit heavy not for the mission itself, which I found fun to play, it's because the travel skipping that I'm doing returning to the main chopper from the star menu while You collect enough box tickets to travel faster. It's just too slow thanks to the things that I've mentioned.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Well, I played some MGO and it's basically a third-person CoD clone where half of the players have stealth camouflage. Wasn't expecting much, but oh well.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Metal Gear Solid V adds $0.99 horse armor, human outfits

314162-h1.jpg

Compared to what Konami is doing with microtransactions surrounding forward operating bases (FOBs) in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, this batch of cosmetic DLC is tame.

These outfits are $0.99 a piece and are currently available on Xbox One.

The Western Tack for D-Horse is "perfect for imaginary travels through the Old West," according to the description. As for Eva's jumpsuit, "the chest area can be unzipped for a tactical advantage."

DLC Horse armor? Kojimbo ruse?

Those four costumes are tempting me...

ultimanecat

Arcane
Well, I played some MGO and it's basically a third-person CoD clone where half of the players have stealth camouflage. Wasn't expecting much, but oh well.

Yeah, played about an hour myself. Other than lag being pretty awful (console of course), the cloaking seems to be the win-button. The hard counter are NVGs and maybe marking grenades, I think, but the first are useless most of the time. I don't have the patience for that sort of gameplay anymore.

They're pushing FOBs hard. My guess is that most people are avoiding touching that stuff, because the impression, which Konami seem happy to maintain since they're charging real money now to "insure" things, is that it's a good way to lose your staff and resources.

Time to replay MGS and mentally replace "nuclear weapons" with "microtransactions" to wash the taste from my mouth.

Caim

Arcane
DLC Horse armor? Kojimbo ruse?

Those four costumes are tempting me...
The Boss' and Eva's outfits only work on female soldiers if you go on missions with them, so you won't get a lot of mileage out of them.

It never gets old ambushing godless commies from a ditch with my 1911-alike and trusty dog.

It just feels so damn satisfying.
Yeah, there's something weirdly satisfying about clearing out enemy bases and fultoning everything inside.

Chapter 1 is great, but 2 just seems too short and the missing content seems obvious. I'm fine with the twist, shit like that makes sense in this universe.

Ideally it would have been:

Chapter 1 - 20ish missions about growing Diamond Dogs and stopping Skull Face. We meet Eli/Mantis/Quiet

Chapter 2 - 15-20ish missions completing Quiet's story and exploring the Skulls and Code Talker's creations, ditching Huey. Eli/Mantis make appearances/steal Metal Gear

Chapter 3 5-10 missions Chasing Eli/Mantis/Metal Gear, plot twist about the player character

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The Boss' and Eva's outfits only work on female soldiers if you go on missions with them, so you won't get a lot of mileage out of them.

I often play as the female soldiers that I recruit to the Mother base. In my case those costumes would be used but... I think they're too expensive for what they are.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Wish there was more buildup to twist.
There's several more-or-less subtle hints which I think is good enough.

1) Ishmael is also voiced by Kiefer. He also vanishes without trace.
2) Big Medic doesn't know Russian, Ocelot makes shit up about the shrapnel hitting your language center.
3) Mammal Pod doesn't recognize you.
4) The big red flag: DNA test with Eli is negative.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

2) Big Medic doesn't know Russian, Ocelot makes shit up about the shrapnel hitting your language center.

There are a couple more:

If you look carefully during the first two appearances of the Man on Fire in the hospital escape, he's actually ignoring Venom Snake and staring directly at Ishmael the entire time.

It explains why The Man on Fire just keeled over and died once he finally had Venom Snake in his hands and at his mercy; he finally realized he wasn't the 'real' Big Boss, which was enough to get him to finally keel over and die.

There's two more, very subtle one:

Venom Snake's reflection in the ACC helicopter is actually that of the custom player avatar

Venom's style of CQC is different from Big Boss'. While Big Boss relied on quickly subduing his opponents through quick grappling and disarmament, Venom focuses more on subduing his opponents through overwhelming force via haymakers, stomps, and blind-sighting them with a quick flurry of punches, essentially beating them into submission.

Still, what really kills it is how nothing is done with it. If they'd actually had this ending of chapter 2 lead on to a chapter 3 where they actually explored this idea a little further. My fan wanky idea of it would be to have Venom actually become a sort of idealized representation of what Big Boss (i.e. Big hero soldier man who loves his men and always saves the world), versus the reality (the barely moral mercenary who is essentially incapable of functioning without warfare, and is willing to set the world on fire to ensure he and his men still have meaning). If anything, I think the game should've pointed out that Big Boss has never truly been a good guy, and that we only thought that because we saw it from his perspective. He kidnaps and brainwashes soldiers to fight for him, he freely uses child solders to fight for him, and Peace Walker ends with him freely creating his own Metal Gear for no reason other than to make MSF stronger, with Ground Zeroes beginning with him lying to the UN about they're nuclear capability.

Really, we've had the reason for it all along, all that needed to happen to him was losing nine years of his life to really tip him over the edge into full-blown villainy. That way, it'd still fit in with MGS2's message (i.e. we're still not 'actually' Big Boss, and if anything we're better than him) while still arguably taking it in its own unique direction.

Vaarna_Aarne

To me the biggest concern is

that the whole thing with Eli is completely pointless since the real Big Boss never shows up.

But yea, there's just not much morally questionable going on most of the time, and that's a problem.

Also, Big Boss isn't exactly a good guy during MGS3, but in that game it's because the whole narrative arc centers around the fact that Big Boss starts out as innocent Naked Snake who is still untouched by war.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

On the Russian thing.
This seemed really dumb to me, it's a borderline plot hole. They can brainwash the guy into having all of Big Boss' combat skills and memories to the point that he actually believes he IS Big Boss - but they can't teach him Russian?

Vaarna_Aarne

Consider these possibilities:

a) The idea didn't cross their mind.
b) Teaching him languages he supposedly knew would risk the story they fed to Big Medic being plausible to him.
c) They didn't know what languages Big Medic knew besides English, so they couldn't risk compromising the lie.
d) While many of Big Medic's skills are things you can teach to anyone, being a gifted polyglot like Snakes are is a much harder thing to replicate, and would compromise the cover.
e) It's a play on the audience, who never considered the fact they've been playing as a character who fluently speaks languages they don't know even the bare basics of. Now they must actively have the game interpret for them instead of getting it for granted from their player avatar.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
or maybe ocelot didn't lie, and get this, he actually has braindamage. because there is shrapnel the size of a hand sticking out of his fucking skull.

would also explain him barely talking besides him being a quasi player insert.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's it, this game is going on my nerves. Fucking checkpoints killing me. I'm fed up with doing a mission, and if I do something wrong and want to retry, I have to restart from an hour ago, because there is only one checkpoint at every location. It doesn't matter if I completed several objectives on that location, if I fail, I have to restart.

And doing all these filler missions, which have nothing to do with the main storyline is just pure bore. I know I sound like a broken record, but the lack of story kills this game, there is nothing to pull the player through all these filler. I'm thinking to just gun myself through the game, because it is so easy to just play it as an action game. The AI and the enemies are designed for stealth, if you are just running and gunning, it is very easy.

Deleted member 7219

That's it, this game is going on my nerves. Fucking checkpoints killing me. I'm fed up with doing a mission, and if I do something wrong and want to retry, I have to restart from an hour ago, because there is only one checkpoint at every location. It doesn't matter if I completed several objectives on that location, if I fail, I have to restart.

And doing all these filler missions, which have nothing to do with the main storyline is just pure bore. I know I sound like a broken record, but the lack of story kills this game, there is nothing to pull the player through all these filler. I'm thinking to just gun myself through the game, because it is so easy to just play it as an action game. The AI and the enemies are designed for stealth, if you are just running and gunning, it is very easy.

I agree. Games like this don't work with a checkpoint system.

Malpercio

Arcane

Yeah, it's hella annoying. Reminds me of the first Forbidden Siren.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
the problem is you are not going nuclear.

these are not sneaking missions. this is a open world ambush simulator. you are supposed to bring the legend back to live by shooting people in the head and ballsack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom