Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Metal Gear Survive - a co-op survival game to be left for dead

I was basically on board with this from the beginning since it's more MGSVS gameplay, and I love how that game controls. Interested to see how deep the survival mechanics go. Will weather enter into the equation, will the player need to craft warmer clothes? As is it already seems pretty interesting, but I'm wondering if there's going to be a lot more stuff shown off in the next couple months. They've been pretty quiet on this game.

Also wondering if that compass is an upgrade, or just replacement for what was shown before. In the older videos it was simply just a compass, now it's working like the compass in MGS4 and telling you when you're getting close to enemies.

kalganoat

Savant
No doubt the gameplay will be fun since it's basically MGSV. But you know the game will be fiilled with microtransactions/lootboxs. It doesn't matter how fun the gameplay is eventually the grind will hurt your enjoyment. In MGS5 the resource grind and timers already hurt the game just imagine how much worse this will be.

I never really had a problem with resource grind or timers in MGS4. I'd already beaten the actual game by the time it updated with the newer stuff that cost a lot, so those weren't even things I was ever thinking about getting. The only thing that was an annoying amount of time to get that was there from the start was the nuke, but then the nuke doesn't do anything either. The only real grindy thing that was in the game before I'd beaten it was how rarely I'd come across the highest level soldiers, but around the time they updated it with the super expensive stuff they also just started throwing the hightest ranked soldiers at you too.

Although I do see the timers in this newest video and I can imagine that being a nightmare, or at least annoying.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
why the fuck did konami waste money on this shit instead of just finishing MGSV or you know, releasing some hack "expansion" for it a year later while its hype was still lukewarm.
They'd have to pay Keifer Sutherland again and all kinds of expensive shit then.

That makes sense I suppose.

I dont know why they bothered with that nonsense in the first place. I dont think there is a single MGS fan out there who went "replace david hayter with keither sutherland? That sounds great!!" and Konami must've been balking at going from paying some dude upper-middle class wages to movie star bills
Usually, they have to pay the actor more when they're needed back too. I never understood why video games get Hollywood actors to do voice-overs. The people that do this shit for a living are always better. Reminds me of Fallout: 3 shelling out money to Liam Neeson to do a horrific voice-over where it sounds like he's taking sleeping pills.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I dont know why they bothered with that nonsense in the first place. I dont think there is a single MGS fan out there who went "replace david hayter with keither sutherland? That sounds great!!" and Konami must've been balking at going from paying some dude upper-middle class wages to movie star bills
Usually, they have to pay the actor more when they're needed back too. I never understood why video games get Hollywood actors to do voice-overs. The people that do this shit for a living are always better. Reminds me of Fallout: 3 shelling out money to Liam Neeson to do a horrific voice-over where it sounds like he's taking sleeping pills.

Mileage may vary. Ray Liotta did a good job in Vice City, so did Sam Jackson in San Andreas.

Anyway, to me, this Survive spin-off seems way more appealing than Phantom Pain.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Pre-order on Steam:

METAL GEAR SURVIVE builds upon METAL GEAR SOLID V’S enduring stealth action gameplay while introducing the new elements of exploration and survival to create a bold new experience.

METAL GEAR SURVIVE is a spin off from the main METAL GEAR SOLID V story that takes place in a strange alternative universe.

Create your own character and learn to survive. Scavenge resources, craft weapons, build a base camp and explore the unknown while developing the survival skills necessary in this hostile environment.

In CO-OP mode, assemble a team of four players to infiltrate and defend areas from hordes of creatures. Place fortifications and defensive weapons strategically to give you an advantage against ever intensifying enemies. Team work and resourcefulness are key in these fast paced co-op missions.

So I was playing this beta over the weekend because I kept getting dropped from the DBFighterZ one. From what I played, which wasn't a whole lot, this seems pretty good. It's the MGSV controls so it controls fantastically. Your XP (Kuban Crystals found growing in the environment and in the heads of zombies...you also get this as a reward for finishing missions) is used for crafting and leveling your character up. Leveling up your character gives you a Skill Point which can be used to raise your Strength, Vitality, Dexterity, and Endurance; or to buy and upgrade new skills like better attacks with the different kinds of melee weapons & hand-to-hand moves.

Interested to see how the single player turns out. I mostly just did the first mission in the multiplayer, so I never played around with the survival stuff like needing to eat or having to deal with dirty water.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Second beta thing is coming next week, and this time it includes PC, if you're interested.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I honestly had a bit of fun with this in co-op, it's very polished (again, with the engine) and there's a lot of depth to the crafting and class mechanics, surprisingly. Granted that's the impression I got from a beta. We found a few silly bugs, like a duplicating arrow glitch. That $40 price tag and onslaught of DLC is an unfortunate deal-breaker, but not exactly an unwelcome one.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
why the fuck did konami waste money on this shit instead of just finishing MGSV or you know, releasing some hack "expansion" for it a year later while its hype was still lukewarm.
They'd have to pay Keifer Sutherland again and all kinds of expensive shit then.

That makes sense I suppose.

Well generally the thing is that just as storytelling vidya as a medium is overall abysmal, video game voice actors are essentially bottom of the barrel for professional voice actors in Murrica (like the pecking order is something like Disney movie>movie>Disney animated series/direct to video>animated series/direct to video>other dubs>anime>vidya; this is just an attempt at a generalized pattern of "prestige" and paycheck). This has led to a kind of ghetto around English language video game voice acting because there's no similar overlapping industry like anime and vidya are in Japan (best example of this I figure is the excellent voice actor Tomokazu Sugita) and there's still a lingering stigma to video games as low brow and demeaning job for actors (and voice actors) lingering on from the 80's and 90's. Like, don't forget that back in original MGS1 almost the entire cast of English voice actors used fake names (that's also one long-lasting legacy of Metal Gear in that it has probably had the biggest positive influence to video games image as a credible form of storytelling, after MGS1 you don't see fake names for voice actors pop up so much anymore since the image of games had started to change even if just a little) and none of them had any idea Metal Gear would probably be the best thing ever to happen to them. So when video games started to have the budget to hire someone like Liam Neeson, they'll still look down on the job and just phone it in for a paycheck.

But MGSV was sort of an example of WHY they'd want to hire Hollywood actors besides just the obvious marketing aspect: Kiefer absolutely crushes the entire rest of the cast whenever he's given any material to work with, like the funeral.

We'll probably see some change in voice acting in the years to come, what with the rise of amateur voice acting which has already surfaced a lot of people who would definately outperform "real" voice actors.

Ground Zeroes is currently on sale for about 2USD in my region. Pricing isn't even remotely close.

Sentinel

Arcane
Played the beta and I thought it was pretty fun. If the Single-player campaign is any good I'll definitely grab it. It'll be REALLY fucking hard to be worse than MGSV anyway, and I paid 30€ for that piece of fucking shit.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Tried to get on three times. First time, I was in a lobby for five minutes. Couldn't get four people to stay and it was getting late. Later two times, it said that the servers were undergoing maintenance. Deleted. Don't care anymore.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, for some reason it's #3 on Steam global top seller right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom