Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro Exodus Enhanced - out of the metro tunnels and back on Steam

Ivan

Arcane
little things that grind my gears
-the floaty ass jump
-when nearby NPCs it's like being in a museum where if you take 2 steps to the left you activate someone's line, then take 2 steps back, you activate someone else's line. it definitely makes me crave a "talk" prompt IF they aren't going to give Artyom a voice/speech system
-funny bug where bringing up the map in the Caspian car bugs your view once you put it down
-I would have loved more incentive to explore/clear monster nests. maybe collect scalps or skins to craft gear. Often when I see a "demon" I'm like why would I bother wasting the ammo

+
The more I played Metro Exodus, the more I thought it could borrow from MGS3 or other games that take a stab at survival elements. Hunting wildlife for pelts, meat, scavenging for water, gasoline, alcohol and oil to maintain weapons. Needle and thread to repair clothing.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
The Two Colonels DLC: a machinima movie retelling the fall of the final Metro station. almost zero gameplay. completely on rails, completely scripted. EXTREME DECLINE.
:1/5:
nice credit song though:

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Sam's Story DLC: now we're talking, this DLC is what I was expecting and quite lengthy as well. There's linear bits and one major Hub like in the base game. They do introduce an annoying insta-kill trap, but aside from that, the level design is well done and the encounters are varied and enjoyable. I liked how the game let you go crazy at the final assault, as in the base game, I had conserved so many resources and didn't get to play with much of my toys. The main issue, as in the base game, is that the narrative talky bits are FAR TOO LONG, and boring. 4A really needs to figure out how to better marry the narrative with the gameplay b/c the talky bits feel like you're quitting the game to watch some machinima shit.
:3/5:

Ivan

Arcane
In sum, Metro Exodus's stealth is too popamole, its survival mechanics are barely present and don't make the open Hub sections feel justified. I'd love a greater emphasis on survival and looting resources to advance the progression of your equipment. That would be cool. As I said before, I was reminded of Metal Gear Solid 3 and Far Cry and feel this could do with some of those elements to really make exploration feel worthwhile. Since the stealth is too easy, it makes looting the open world boring, since you don't really need ammo/explosives very much at all. If they introduced some truly tough enemies that required that stuff, that would be a cool way to balance it.

It's heart is in the right place, but the overall experience is too casual for my personal liking. It is gorgous, the audio is fatnastic, but the movement is a bit jank, and the talky narrative bits are fun crushing and make me feel like I'm watching Machinima.
:3/5:
Gonna give Sam's Story another run for 2nd ending. Play more aggressively.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In sum, Metro Exodus's stealth is too popamole, its survival mechanics are barely present
Probably bc it's not a stealth or survival game.

Metro is basically filling the void Valve has been unwilling/unable/too lazy to fill with Half-Life 3, doing a p. good job too.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Two Colonels DLC: a machinima movie retelling the fall of the final Metro station. almost zero gameplay. completely on rails, completely scripted. EXTREME DECLINE.
:1/5:
nice credit song though:

i just completed it and i thought i like the DLC, but mainly because of the story and setpieces. true, it was pretty on rail even for metro standard but i love the atmosphere and the fall of the stations are pretty tragic and it was pretty well written, and directed. 3/5 or 7/10 would be fair,

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom