Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metroid Appreciation Thread

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
0QJFEeI.png

Just wanted to express my love for Metroid, in light of the announcement of 'Metroid 5' aka 'Metroid Dread' for the Switch, the first main sequence game since Metroid Fusion in 2002, now nineteen years ago. Below is a brief introduction to core games for anyone wanting to get into this science fiction series. Interesting science fiction is hard to come by in video gaming, and Metroid is atmospheric, compelling and beautiful in conception.

The core experience, with remakes of older games:
  • - Metroid 1: Zero Mission
  • - Metroid Prime 1
  • - Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • - Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  • - Metroid 2: Samus Returns
  • - Metroid 3: Super Metroid
  • - Metroid 4: Metroid Fusion
  • - Metroid 5: Metroid Dread
Essentially the core experience can be broken down into two main narrative sequences: The Metroid Series [Metroid 1-5], (each are exploratory platformers), and the Metroid Prime Series [Metroid Prime 1-3], (each first-person exploration games). Both are incredible series, possibly the best 2D to 3D transition in gaming, and there are no bad games among them, with at least three being regarded among the best games of all time.

42eTc5U.png

Protagonist: Samus Aran, a bounty hunter charged with hunting down the dangerous Metroid life-form

a9PwoBf.png

Arch Enemy: Ridley, a leader of the space pirates of Zebes, who wish to use the Metroid for it's power

kRZEhNY.png

Arch-Enemy: Mother brain, an ancient AI, allied with the Space Pirates to act as their overall director

PCJputi.png

Shrouded in Mystery: The Chozo were an ancient highly advanced civilization that spread knowledge, but entered spiritual decline

Falksi

Arcane
I loved Super Metroid on the SNES, but bizarrely haven't played any of the others.

Which others are the best of the series, and up to Super Metroid's standard?

I also tend to find that with most SNES games going back to earlier entries in the series on the NES is usually a let down, as the SNES versions are essentially upgraded carbon copies.

Trithne

Erudite
I loved Super Metroid on the SNES, but bizarrely haven't played any of the others.

Which others are the best of the series, and up to Super Metroid's standard?

I also tend to find that with most SNES games going back to earlier entries in the series on the NES is usually a let down, as the SNES versions are essentially upgraded carbon copies.

This is very much the case with Super Metroid being "Metroid, but more". Best way to get the Metroid story with Super Metroid feel is Zero Mission. Of the assorted Metroid 2 remakes I enjoyed AM2R, haven't played the official one.

Metroid Prime is Super Metroid, but in 3d. It's good. I felt the Prime series degrades in quality with each release, although they stay good throughout.

Riskbreaker

Falksi
You could go for the GBA remake of the first Metroid, and afterwards AM2R (which very much has the look and feel of a lost/unreleased GBA Metroid game).
Not as good as Super Metroid - what is? - but they are very smooth and worthwhile experiences.
Folks appear to be mixed on Fusion. I like it but it does have its share of gimmicks as well as less interesting setting compared to strange alien environs you'd generally associate with Metroid. I'd certainly leave it for later.

Machocruz

Arcane
Some hipsters will say ZM or Fusion are better, but they're hipsters. I'd put Prime ahead of either. But SM is king. One of the distinguishing traits of Metroid was being set in a labyrinth, and Super still has the best labyrinth design of the series, and maybe all of so called "metroidvania," with tons of hidden and optional pathways. Other games have lazy, basic level design in comparison.

Also most potent atmosphere and legendary OST. It's a GOAT by any measure.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
SM is untouchable, just tight, perfect.

Metroid Prime is excellent but the chozo collectathon at the end game can suck a dick. MP2 was weaker and the light/dark mechanic was irritating (and similar collectathon at the end), but the atmosphere was on point.

Never tried any of the portable ones or MP3. I played one well-regarded SM mod, but it was tough as nails. Can't remember the name.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
An online list ranked them like this:

56gEByi.png

1. Metroid 3: Super Metroid

Op0CZlL.png

2. Metroid 1: Zero Mission

9clNqlw.png

3. Metroid Prime 1

LhdwXT9.png

4. Metroid 4: Metroid Fusion

PTbUjEa.png

5. Metroid Prime 2

WI2TQDt.png

6. Metroid Prime 3

CNWloEI.jpeg

7. Metroid 2: Samus Returns

I've only included the best titles, and removed older versions of the same games. That is a pretty decent ranking, although I would place Metroid Prime higher than Zero Mission due to it being an important gaming milestone, and Zero Mission being a remake of an existing game (albeit superb). I agree that the Metroid Prime sequels are better than Samus Returns, but many would also rank them above Fusion, and some people even like Metroid Prime 2: Echoes more than the first Metroid Prime. Metroid Fusion is by no means bad, I'm playing it again right now, and it's gripping; you are never once bored. None of these seven titles are less than great games. Just think of Fusion as a one-off 2D game, where Samus had more mission objectives, text briefings and structure, because she was closer to civilization.

ZkkkXwK.png

cv8GikZ.png

m9W8B4L.png

I believe Metroid Prime was once the highest ranked game on either Gamerankings or Metacritic for the entire Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox sixth generation (Jesus Christ). I think it once held an average of 99%, although I dunno about now as I haven't checked in years, and Gamerankings no longer exists. That's how good this series is: a two GOAT franchise. Both branches of the series are in their own right great, whereas I have never played a 3D Sonic game that I liked. The opportunity to explore alien ruins at leisure and slowly take in the beauty of a crumbling world isn't that common in sci-fi sadly.

JDR13

Arcane
If it was me, I would have ranked the 2D Metroids and the Prime series separately. I think they're that different.

That said, I'd put all of the Primes above any of the 2D games except Super Metroid. Ranking Zero Mission and Fusion that high is pure nostalgia.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Never played the Primes. How playable are they with mouse and keyboard on an emulator?

Really enjoyed playing the 2D Metroid games on an emulator with the keyboard. Great games.
Super Metroid is the best of them. Peak level design and progression. Playing this made me fall in love with the "Metroidvania" genre.

Sadly, nothing else in the Metroidvania genre comes close to Super Metroid :(

Ivan

Arcane

personal favorite

:love:

My experience: Metroid Prime 2 is my favorite of the series b/c of the complexities introduced by the light/dark duality (something that worked far better for me than it did with A Link to the Past). I felt like the puzzles were stronger and more rewarding b/c of it.

As for the 2d entries, I enjoyed them all, but I can't say that I was floored by any one of them. Zero and Super shine bright in my memory, whereas Fusion I recall dimly b/c of it being more linear and artistically sterile.

Last edited:
Some hipsters will say ZM or Fusion are better, but they're hipsters. I'd put Prime ahead of either. But SM is king. One of the distinguishing traits of Metroid was being set in a labyrinth, and Super still has the best labyrinth design of the series, and maybe all of so called "metroidvania," with tons of hidden and optional pathways. Other games have lazy, basic level design in comparison.

Also most potent atmosphere and legendary OST. It's a GOAT by any measure.
Zero Mission's level design is pretty good. When you first play it it seems linear with the statues that give you hints on where to go next, but then it turns out there are secret routes everywhere so you can completely ignore them. Skip 90% of the items if you want, it's fine. Pretty cool.
You're right about Fusion though. Here's a area, go to the end. No alternate routes, no exploring, no options. Except for the one point where if you shinespark perfectly you can skip an item, except haha whoops just kidding, you get a cutscene where you get told to go back and get it.

I mean, this isn't to say Zero Mission is better than Super, I just think it's pretty good. It doesn't deserve to be compared to Fusion.

Ivan

Arcane
Metroid music nerdom I enjoy:

Edit: Shit, let's not forget about the AnotherMetroid2Remake project. Definitely a cut above Fusion and worth seeking out.

Last edited:

randir14

Augur
I played the Super Metroid Redux rom hack a few months ago, basically makes the controls feel much better and adds some QOL improvements.

JDR13

Arcane
Never played the Primes. How playable are they with mouse and keyboard on an emulator?

The first two are very playable. The third game has some difficulties because it was designed for the Wiimote.

That said, I think using a Wiimote with a USB sensor bar is the way to go.

spekkio

Arcane

The first two are very playable. The third game has some difficulties because it was designed for the Wiimote.

That said, I think using a Wiimote with a USB sensor bar is the way to go.
Copied from the "Emulation" thread:

Primehack

Mod of Dolphin, implementing proper M+K controls for Metroid Prime - Trilogy

Official releases
Guide

Enjoyed MP1 and MP2 immensely, gave up on MP3 after 1-2 hours (change of formula, gimmicky Wii controls).

JDR13

Arcane
The Wii controls are actually pretty immersive once you get used to them. M+K makes the games too easy imo.

Ventidius

Arbiter
It's nice to see so much love for Prime in this thread, though I personally think Echoes was mostly a straight improvement over the first: limited ammo and the noxious atmosphere of the dark world granted it a very much welcome 'survival' edge, the inclusion of the Screw Attack was glorious (fun to use without breaking navigation), and Dark Samus as a rival spiced things up quite a bit. I still remember getting a kick from reading space pirate logs throughout their base in which they at first thought she was Samus and progressively came to the terrifying realization that there were actually two hunters!

Perhaps I would give OG Metroid Prime an edge for exploring a more familiar corner of the setting (Chozo, Space Pirates, etc), not to mention featuring Ridley. But not every Metroid game has to feature Ridley (how many times has he been killed already, anyway? He's even returned as a mecha!) or tread the same old ground. In the case of Prime that was kind of necessary because it would be the first time we'd see that stuff in 3D, but IMO Prime 2 did well to move on and show us other parts of the galaxy. Speaking of that, Aether is a great setting in its own right, and I found the Luminoth, the Ing, and the planet itself very well-designed. Yes, the Light vs Darkness theme is a bit cliche, but what matters is the execution, and that was spot on. Prime 2's worldbuilding, exploration, lore, environmental storytelling and atmosphere was just as good as that of Prime (and it goes without saying that it was outstanding in Prime).

Either way, both games are great. Two of the very few successful attempts to translate the Metroidvania formula to 3D. They both had some great music as well:

Yes, it's a remix of the classic theme, but it's still one of the better (if not the best) renditions.

Metroid Prime 3 was a bit of a disappointment. More action-oriented, to be sure, and the exploration was not on the same level as in 1 and 2. Not to mention you were forced to put up with the ridiculous motion sensor controls gimmick of the Wii (yes, it was better than something like the Skyward Sword controls, but still annoying). Nonetheless, it was still a solid game, and some planets like Bryyo even had some of that classic feel of discovery combined with interesting lore that the the Prime series did so well.

As for the 2D games, Super Metroid is the one boasting the best design, no doubt. It's still unsurpassed in the genre, and, as some have said, is a strong contender for GOAT. That said, the Gameboy Advance ones weren't too bad. Level design was subpar in Fusion, sure, but the boss battles were some of the best in the series. Certainly an unconventional approach, but still solid overall. Zero Mission is just the OG game redesigned in the mold of SM, not a bad thing at all. I also liked the new Space Pirate section, even if Mecha Ridley was a bit silly. The 'stealth' as Zero Suit Samus was more fun than it had any right to be. It may not be as good as Super, but I'm still ridiculously fond of that game.

Anyhow, it's definitely a great series, it's good to see it getting some appreciation - and a thread - on the Codex. I'm certainly going to be playing Metroid Dread, it's high time this franchise got a resurgence. Yes, there are some things about it that seem worrisome already, but this is one series that I'm not going to give up on easily, not after it has shown the ability to successfully adapt and reinvent itself so many times before.

Last edited:
Prime 1 has way better art and environment design than Echoes, but Echoes is pretty strictly superior in terms of exploration, enemy design, difficulty, and just overall game design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom