Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft acquires Bethesda/Zenimax

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
This is really surprising

Wunderbar

Arcane
Imagine this.

Fallout: Beyond Vegas
The NCR has taken most of the lands of Caesar's Legion and the feuding warlords are fighting back against the anti-insurgency measures.
You the farmer fall in with one of the anti-NCR groups after being at the receiving end of a massacre and go on a quest to track down a stolen supply of Legion gold.
written by kate dollarhyde and carrie patel, graphics by tim "can't see colors" cain

RepHope

Savant
Holy shit. This is going to definitely to help Game Pass. Luckily for Codex nothing will change since MS puts its games on Steam. You will all get to enjoy Todd’s latest broken promise. Holy fuck I just realized Obsidian could now make another Fallout game. Bethesda, InXile, and Obsidian are all under one roof now.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I suppose certain PR fiascos and whatever else that happened with Bethesda since Fallout 76 actually put the studio management to a precarious position which made this deal possible. Microsoft also doing aggressive purchases for next gen consoles to not be left behind with W10/Xbox subscription model is sparing no expenses.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I don't think this will move the needle as much as many think; Bethesda has burnt a lot of goodwill by destroying Fallout (even for casuals), and everybody who enjoyed Skyrim is a boomer now. Doom is a nice IP to have but I don't think it's a system seller.

Cross

Arcane
The irony of Obsidian pitching a TES clone...and then Microsoft just goes and buys the real thing. :lol:

As much as Bethesda declined though, I don't see why anyone would be excited about this. The studios working under Microsoft have a consistent track record of making the most banal and mediocre games possible. Tellingly, some of the only exceptions to that are indie games that Microsoft had no involvement with besides paying for exclusivity (Ori & Cuphead).

Perkel

Arcane
yeah, you might miss out on bethesda's recent titles like

you are confusing Betsheda developer with Betsheda publisher and Zenimax itself.

:whynotboth:

CDPR has a market cap of about 10.5B, it should cost them at least 13-15B. Zenimax looks like a bargain.

From what we know both founders of CDP have like 51% stake in company. So unless CDP wants to sell they won't get bought.

Yosharian

Arcane
Holy shit. This is going to definitely to help Game Pass. Luckily for Codex nothing will change since MS puts its games on Steam. You will all get to enjoy Todd’s latest broken promise. Holy fuck I just realized Obsidian could now make another Fallout game. Bethesda, InXile, and Obsidian are all under one roof now.
Have you seen the fucking state of Obsidian recently? They are dead, frankly I'd rather have another abomination from Bethesda than give it back to Obsidian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom