Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Microsoft E3 2018 Press Conference: Cyberpunk 2077 Re-Announced

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; Cyberpunk 2077

The annual series of press conferences at E3 began rather dismally yesterday with a fairly pathetic showing from Electronic Arts, who had nothing of any real interest to reveal other than another look at BioWare's upcoming online multiplayer game Anthem. But today things were different. For the first time in years, we're posting about Microsoft's E3 press conference, which this year was packed with an incredible number of world premieres. That included an early look at Bethesda's apparent multiplayer Fallout spinoff Fallout 76, a new game from From Software called Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, a Gears of War turn-based tactics spinoff(!) called Gears Tactics, and most bizarrely of all, the on-stage introduction of Techland's zombie survival sequel Dying Light 2 by its narrative designer, Chris Avellone. What.

But that's not what you're here for. When its Twitter account reactivated this January for the first time in over four years, many people guessed that this would be the year when CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 would finally re-emerge after its premature initial announcement back in 2012. Although it seemed at first like it wouldn't, the game made a surprise appearance at the very end of Microsoft's press conference, in an amusing fake hacking stunt. Behold, our first real look at Cyberpunk 2077:

At the end of the trailer is an obfuscated message from CD Projekt, which has already been deciphered by observant fans:

It's been over 2077 days since we announced our plan to develop Cyberpunk 2077. We released a CGI trailer, gave some interviews and... went dark. Normal procedure for these kinds of things - you announce a game and then shut up, roll up your sleeves and go to work. We wanted to give you The Witcher 3 and both expansions first, which is why this period of staying silent was longer than we planned. Sorry for that.

As soon as we concluded work on Blood and Wine, we were able to go full speed ahead with CP2077's pre-production. But we chose to remain silent. Why? At some point, we made a decision to resume talking about the game only when we have something to show. Something meaningful and substantial. This is because we do realise you've been (im)patiently waiting for a very long time, and we wouldn't like anyone to feel that we're taking this for granted. On the contrary - it gives us a lot of extra motivation. The hype is real, so the sweat and tears need to be real, too.

But, to the point. Today is the day. If you're seeing this, it means you saw the trailer - our vision of Cyberpunk, an alternative version of the future where America is in pieces, megacorporations control all aspects of civilised life, and gangs rule the rest. And, while this world is full of adrenaline, don't let the car chases and guns mislead you. Cyberpunk 2077 is a true single player, story-driven RPG. You'll be able to create your own character and... well, you'll get to know the rest from what we show at our booth at E3. Be on the lookout for the previews!

Before we finish, you probably have some questions,

1. When?
When we told you we would only release the game when it's ready, we meant it. We're infinitely much closer to a release date than we were back then, but it's still not the time to confirm anything, so patience is still required. Quality is the only thing that drives us - it's the beauty of being an independent studio and your own publisher.

2. How big?
Seriously big, but..., to be honest, we have no bloody clue at this point in time. Once we put it all together, we will openly tell you what you can expect. And we promise we'll do this before we start talking about any pre-orders or ask anything of you.

3. Free DLC/Expansions/DRM?
Expect nothing less than you got with The Witcher 3. As for DRM, CP2077 will be 100% DRM-free on PC.

4. Microtransactions?
In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?

Once again, thank you for your patience. If you have a minute, do visit cyberpunk.net and share your opinion (about anything) with us. We read everything you post and we treat it very seriously.

Yours,
CD PROJEKT RED Team.
The trailer is proving to be divisive, with its vision of a bright and wacky cyberpunk future, seemingly more inspired by the likes of Judge Dredd's Mega-City One and the Grand Theft Auto games than by the noir aesthetics of a Deus Ex or a Shadowrun. The only thing we really know about Cyberpunk 2077 so far is that it features a protagonist called V, a young street-level cyberpunk who is just starting out on his first serious contract. But I'm sure we'll be learning much more about the game in the coming weeks.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Looks good (whatever trailers are worth) hopefully there is more meat on the bones than GTA:neonlasers
No gameplay though means two more years in my predictometer.

If they could make a GTA-esque world with a futuristic flavor, but with a strong RPG story, dialogue, characters, and choices that they are known for, and perhaps improve some of the shitty mechanics from GTA V, it would be a great game. That's a lot of ifs though.

Still, GTA V had a great world that was completely ruined by the shitty characters, storylines, and boring gameplay.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
GTA 2: Cyberpunk 2077

geek_mag_gta2.jpg

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cyberpunk looks damn great... I really hope they let you creat your own character but looks like it will be sort of GTA with several main characters to play with

Absinthe

Arcane
It looks like they turned it into a shitty GTA 3+ knockoff, and I only liked GTA 1 and 2. The old teaser trailer is much more interesting in terms of setting:

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It does look great but we still don't know a fucking thing about how it will play out. Either way I have faith because there is no game like it and I have no choice. I have to hope or I will drown in hate.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Impressive-looking trailer. I guess it was too optimistic to hope for gameplay footage. Eh, maybe we will see it at next years's E3.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The bright sunlight cyberpunl thing, general plasticky sheen of pretty much all the surfaces, and the abysmal featured character really makes this trailer look like a downer. Tone of the world seems really awful and if that guy is the protagonist I'm going to enjoy spending a game skipping dialogue whenever frat boy opens his mouth

Bigg Boss

Arcane
How can you fuckers really just say GTA though? We have not seen a fucking stitch of pussy in this bitch aside from pre-rendered trailer shit?

Paul_cz

Arcane
Gibson is so salty they are making Pondsmith's stuff and not his

Anyway, great trailer. Went against expectations and actually showed different type of cyberpunk, one that isn't all dark and rainy and night and blade runner. I applaud them for that even if morons are gonna complain about it. Obviously that dark stuff is there too, showing that daylight exists does not mean night time doesn't.

It seems they are trying to marry Witcher 3 level story telling with custom protagonist and more freedom, which would be fantastic. I remember how many people were sceptical that they could take writing and quest quality from TW2 and put it into open world, but TW3 did it and even improved upon it for the most part, so I am pretty sure they will succeed with this one too.

Ruzen

Savant
At first, I was like "oh no is this going to be another dark cyberpunk world" then BAM! The trailer was well done. Good thing I waited to update my hardware for this one. It probably wants the newest CPU's which will come up this fall.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom