Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Microsoft E3 2018 Press Conference: Cyberpunk 2077 Re-Announced

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Thats a shallow and unnecessary outburst Garfunkel. Go sit in a corner.

I think it's more particularly the GTA version of the american dream that we're seeing here. The American dream is a concept that promotes honest hard labor and ambition to become a self-made man.The American dream is a concept that promotes honest hard labor and ambition to achieve success and prosperity. This seems more like it's trying to turn the american dream into a criminal action movie.
Thats what it was maybe meant to be, but metastasized in reality. Then again, looking at the american history, ...

Nah, you're oversimplifying. Even if we're just limiting it to American cities, Kansas City, Detroit, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas, Washington D.C., Salt Lake City, Boston, etc. are all different beasts. There's a different vibe and spirit depending on the place.
Of course they do have different vibes and styles. But i wasnt talking about that.
I was talking about making a city open world game where basic behavior must be the same in the sense of how you traverse the world and get from point of interest to point of interest, mission, quest.
Theres just no way to make it that different from GTA at that surface level.

It's safe to say this isn't Gibson's take on modern-day cyberpunk though, judging by Gibson's own words.
I would be interested to find what is it these days. Havent been able to find anything more specific in his last talks available online, but maybe he wouldnt have one at all. Maybe he moved away from it and its now up to someone else to create a more modern rendition. Maybe like the Ian Mcdonalds India cyberpunk novel i saw mentioned.

You make a solid point on the dehumanization point. Certainly getting your ass kicked to the curb and beaten the shit out of you practically for sport doesn't do much for a person's human dignity. And yes, it remains to be seen how well those elements will be executed, but I find the trailer's priorities to be somewhat indicative of the game's priorities.
That but also the fact there are gangs going around kidnapping people to cut out their augments... Its pretty hard to avoid dehumanization aspects and themes in any cyberpunk - like setting.
The only issue is how well it will be done. But i dont see it being avoided. Or how it could be avoided.

The again, the trailer is way too short of a slice of the game to make definitive conclusions.
And it doesnt yet represent the actual game that will come out, since even the gameplay demo simply didnt show a lot of stuff and mechanics, a lot is still worked on and changed, and all of it was specifically made to please the shallow mass market desire for another superficial emotional quicky.

Looking over the cyberpunk rulebook on being edgy (see here), it's safe to say that Pondsmith's take is sooner a celebration of that sort of thing, the shallow materialism, addiction to adrenaline, and aimless spirit of "being a rebel" like being a punk just for the sake of being a punk like a damn excuse to act out than what proper cyberpunk reflects upon. There's usually an existentialist and reflective quality to cyberpunk, a certain perception of society and the world, that's so far just missing here.
Yeah its the whole "man wouldnt it be cool to like, live in neuromancer style all the time!?" notion pushed to the extreme. Which is exactly why there is a "cool" attribute there. Good bait for mass market though.
I would expect the writers to insert some of the more deeper themes in there, even sporadically, but we have to wait and see.

Not that you can count on the bloody journos to ask a few questions about any of that.

Absinthe

Arcane
I am looking forward to the autistic novel written by you once the actual game is out and you've played it through seven times. If you can sperg out this much over a 90-second trailer and bunch of Twitter posts, you must be able to write 100,000 words or more!
Welcome to the RPG Codex. You must be new here. Oh, and also, I guess you didn't know but... to tell the truth, game footage trailers are intended to provide a rudimentary first impression of what the game will be like.

Of course they do have different vibes and styles. But i wasnt talking about that.
I was talking about making a city open world game where basic behavior must be the same in the sense of how you traverse the world and get from point of interest to point of interest, mission, quest.
Theres just no way to make it that different from GTA at that surface level.
Well on that level you might be right (although you can still change the driving experience quite a bit from GTA's "traffic rules are for suckers" attitude).

I would be interested to find what is it these days. Havent been able to find anything more specific in his last talks available online, but maybe he wouldnt have one at all. Maybe he moved away from it and its now up to someone else to create a more modern rendition. Maybe like the Ian Mcdonalds India cyberpunk novel i saw mentioned.
Just ask him, I'd say.

That but also the fact there are gangs going around kidnapping people to cut out their augments... Its pretty hard to avoid dehumanization aspects and themes in any cyberpunk - like setting.
The only issue is how well it will be done. But i dont see it being avoided. Or how it could be avoided.
Agreed.

The again, the trailer is way too short of a slice of the game to make definitive conclusions.
And it doesn't yet represent the actual game that will come out, since even the gameplay demo simply didn't show a lot of stuff and mechanics, a lot is still worked on and changed, and all of it was specifically made to please the shallow mass market desire for another superficial emotional quicky.
I know. It's a damn shame CD Projekt didn't unveil that private demo screening for everyone.

Yeah its the whole "man wouldn't it be cool to like, live in neuromancer style all the time!?" notion pushed to the extreme. Which is exactly why there is a "cool" attribute there. Good bait for mass market though.
I would expect the writers to insert some of the more deeper themes in there, even sporadically, but we have to wait and see.

Not that you can count on the bloody journos to ask a few questions about any of that.
We should have a Codex interview of CD Projekt.

Last edited:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
trailers in fact exist so that people can formulate their early impressions of the game based on them.
haha... not really, no.

Well on that level you might be right (although you can still change the driving experience quite a bit from GTA's "traffic rules are for suckers" attitude)
You are still driving from one place to another, in a city. Thats my point, not some exact 1:1 copy of GTA style driving. Although, being forced to actually drive by real world rules would only piss off every player and make that part of the game fucking boring and last too long.
While it would require a huge amount of extra simulation, for no positive payoff.

We should have a Codex interview of CD Projekt.
hmpff! lol...

Absinthe

Arcane
haha... not really, no.
Current trailer features game engine footage. Marketing really does use them to create a first impression of what the game will be like. Doesn't mean it's the most dependable thing, but it is part of how it's used.

You are still driving from one place to another, in a city. Thats my point, not some exact 1:1 copy of GTA style driving. Although, being forced to actually drive by real world rules would only piss off every player and make that part of the game fucking boring and last too long.
While it would require a huge amount of extra simulation, for no positive payoff.
Just add fast travel options, really. And you can have more than just cars as your transportation. Speaking of which, it seems that Cyberpunk 2077 will feature a subway system. Does that mean we'd get to enjoy just standing around waiting for minutes until we arrive at our destination like in the video?

hmpff! lol...
Codex has interviewed a solid number of devs so far tbh. And the Codex tends to ask better questions.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Dude, you joined four years after me so at least try to learn Join Dates before throwing silly insults like that. Don't try to pretend that you're some wizened old sage, dropping information bombs. Your so-called analysis and now this "discussion" with hiver, while amusing, is the height of pretentiousness as I already said. Trailers are literally meant for generating hype and grabbing the attention of the average gamer. Going on and on about, even to the extent of using sophistry in order to try to re-define such common terms as cynicism and dehumanization, is another classic example of the same pretentiousness. I'm all for going 200+ pages when analysing a game thematically and mechanically but that's the full game. We've done that for PST and Kotor2 and MotB and Arcanum and Fallouts and more. That's fun. Sperging over a hype trailer, trying to do the same, is just ridiculous. Just move on and come to the main thread to make fun of the Twitter crowd going apeshit over the term "profane".

Absinthe

Arcane
Dude, you joined four years after me so at least try to learn Join Dates before throwing silly insults like that. Don't try to pretend that you're some wizened old sage, dropping information bombs.
:hmmm:

You actually took that comment literally. Wow. You'll always be new with that attitude, son. Since evidently you were too dense to figure it out, I'll just tell you outright: I am referring to your strange ignorance of the fact that digging into details and arguing over minutiae is a time-honored codex tradition. I have no idea how you managed to be on the codex this long without figuring out that tidbit, but now you know. Also, this is not my first account and I was lurking years before that as well. Dumbass.

Your so-called analysis and now this "discussion" with hiver, while amusing, is the height of pretentiousness as I already said. Trailers are literally meant for generating hype and grabbing the attention of the average gamer. Going on and on about, even to the extent of using sophistry in order to try to re-define such common terms as cynicism and dehumanization, is another classic example of the same pretentiousness.
Bitch please, if you have a disagreement over words, just point out your take on it. Whining that the other side is committing sophistry and being pretentious does nothing to sell your case or improve the dialogue any. You call me pretentious but you're the idiot trying to shit on a discussion just to try to prove you're too good for this shit. And in the scheme of things it sounds like your bitching and moaning stems more from your disagreement than any inadequacy in the conversation proper.

I'm all for going 200+ pages when analysing a game thematically and mechanically but that's the full game. We've done that for PST and Kotor2 and MotB and Arcanum and Fallouts and more. That's fun. Sperging over a hype trailer, trying to do the same, is just ridiculous. Just move on and come to the main thread to make fun of the Twitter crowd going apeshit over the term "profane".
We don't have the full game, so we make do with our early impressions. If you don't like people discussing their impressions of the trailer, then why the fuck are you even in the E3 trailer thread? Did you hit your head or something?

Seriously, post something constructive or fuck off already.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I don't think it's been said already,

Given everyone expects neon-lit nights among urban sprawl, it actually makes sense to put out a daylight trailer. Not in a "we're so edgy non-sheeple" way, rather "it's not a cookie-cutter-cutout game". Makes total sense to fuck around with genre expectations. Doesn't matter whether 75%, 50%, or 10% of missions take place at daytime.

I'm skeptical until the release. But I appreciated black people punching and kicking each other in the trailer. Sorry if it sounds too SJW.

Also Witcher 1 > Witcher 2

hpstg

Savant
About the actual game, there was a closed doors demo, and the trailer was basically running in 4k60 on a modern gaming PC (8700k, 1080Ti).

Considering the time to release and guessing that they will spend the last year for actual optimization, then I can see the trailer being how the final product might look. They said that they went for first person because of how the verticality of the world translates in it, vs the third person camera.

Absinthe, it's a pity that Mike and those idiots at CDProjekt didn't consult you beforehand and they released this mess.
:prosper:

Absinthe

Arcane
I don't think it's been said already,

Given everyone expects neon-lit nights among urban sprawl, it actually makes sense to put out a daylight trailer. Not in a "we're so edgy non-sheeple" way, rather "it's not a cookie-cutter-cutout game". Makes total sense to fuck around with genre expectations. Doesn't matter whether 75%, 50%, or 10% of missions take place at daytime.
Personally, I don't mind that it's a daylight trailer so much as I mind the heavy GTA vibe I'm getting here.

Absinthe, it's a pity that Mike and those idiots at CDProjekt didn't consult you beforehand and they released this mess.
If Gibson had been consulted I would've been a lot more interested, but what are you gonna do. I think it's clear enough that Pondsmith's vision of cyberpunk and Gibson's don't exactly line up, and the former is a lot more shallow and superficial than the latter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom