Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Microsoft E3 2021 Showcase: Starfield and The Outer Worlds 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Obsidian Entertainment; Starfield; The Outer Worlds 2

E3 is back this year as a digital event and with it the traditional Microsoft E3 showcase, which is now combined with the Bethesda showcase. The show was kicked off by none other than Todd Howard, who gave us a first look at Starfield since it was announced back in 2018. The game is still a ways off and will be launching on November 11th, 2022 (an obvious homage to Skyrim's famous 11/11/11 release date). There's no real gameplay in the new teaser trailer, but I suppose it has a nice oldschool space exploration vibe.

Starfield wasn't the only space RPG to appear during the showcase. It's been obvious for some time that Obsidian were working on a sequel to The Outer Worlds, but it was still a bit surprising to see The Outer Worlds 2 announced today. Very little is known about the game right now other than that it's set in a new star system with a new crew. It's not clear whether it's coming before or after Avowed, which we've heard nothing about since it was announced last year. The cinematic announcement trailer is full of cliches, but it's self aware which makes everything all right, get it?

So, two big announcements but very little in the way of actual substance. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for more information.

Sentinel

Arcane
The only thing carrying Elder Scroll's ass is Michael Kirkbride and Kurt Kuhlmann's writings which give life to their world. Bethesda's in-house people are incapable of creating anything interesting. 0 interest in Starfield.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
The only thing carrying Elder Scroll's ass is Michael Kirkbride and Kurt Kuhlmann's writings which give life to their world. Bethesda's in-house people are incapable of creating anything interesting. 0 interest in Starfield.

The only thing carrying Bethesda's ass are the mouth breathers who continue to buy their games.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
2022... The Bloomberg Jew was right, so many delusional people guaranteeing the game would be out this year.

Microsoft is starting to have a big problem in their hands with lack of big name exclusives coming out anytime soon. this year they have halo, which can still be a pile of shit considering 343 is still at the helm.

Sony on the other hand, came out swinging with spiderman and DS, and now ratchet is getting rave reviews as the showcase of this generations potential.

That being said, gamepass is still the king of value. But as a former playstation gamer, I miss those big action adventure releases with polished Gameplay and shiny graphics.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
That Outer world trailer was the most obnoxious cunto shit, gives me infinite conniptions

It was literally - "We know you retards will buy any old shit, so we're not even going to pretend to put effort into the trailer (or the game as well probably)"

TOW was the most beige game I've ever played I reckon. Utterly forgettable, only thing I can remember from memory is some dinosaur style aliens, shitty art deco and fucked up colour schemes.

Preordered delux useless plastic physical edition!
:troll:

Quillon

Arcane
Is there any possibility that ToW 2 won't suck?

one good thing is Kate - self insert - D and Carrie - no talent - Patel is on Awoved

best Obsidian has to offer at this point are Leonard and Megan Starksso they should be leading the narrative stuff on this

+Paul Kirsch, whenever I liked something in Deadfire or Tyranny turned out its almost always Kirsch was responsible for them but he's on Avowed apparently

Last edited:

Giskard

Augur

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
PLEASE please please let Starfield be a hard sci-fi game. Focus on realistic space stuff, no space magic, if aliens are present let them be a rare special thing. There are so many fantasy RPGs out there just let us have this one hard sci-fi AAA rpg

I guess tepid reception is enough to justify a sequel when you've got major corporate backing that's already sunk investment. Hopefully the ironic self-awareness in the teaser trailer means that they've learned a lesson, but my cynicism believes that they're just being lazy and, as the Limeys say, taking a piss.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
PLEASE please please let Starfield be a hard sci-fi game
Considering the suits called it Skryim in Space and "A Han Solo Simulator" yeah right on the simulator part I would say this isn't the game you're looking for. Its not in anyway being marketed as such.
The ladder thing is also just embarrassing.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is there any possibility that ToW 2 won't suck?

From a production resources standpoint, Microsoft can essentially print money and has all the time in the world for its productions to mature. Originally, the Outer Worlds was being made to meet a relatively stricter deadline on a shoestring budget.

From a development point of view, the engines and assets are all there, so the greater part of the effort should be going to developing content.

Unfortunately, the Outer Worlds wasn't the commercial failure people try to insist it is (it was a mild-moderate but clear financial success), so there's a good chance all parties involved will abide by the standard that mediocrity sells and Xbox Pass needs more fodder.

There's also the argument old guard have lost their creative inspirations and drive and the new guard never had any to begin with.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
PLEASE please please let Starfield be a hard sci-fi game
Considering the suits called it Skryim in Space and "A Han Solo Simulator" yeah right on the simulator part I would say this isn't the game you're looking for. Its not in anyway being marketed as such.
The ladder thing is also just embarrassing.

Only humans and robots in the trailer. The space suits seems somewhat realistic. The launch sequence seems important, I swear to god if ships take up in 1 second in actual gameplay I'm going to quit Bethesda RPGs forever

Lord Kane

Novice
It's a good trailer for TOW2
How so? It's just 'guyz we are sooo self aware and relatable'. Also, the trailer mentions something about devs having unfinished games which is really ironic since it is Outer Worlds game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom