Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft Flight Simulator

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
d4b3ed0fb9b34ab87c133ead273f6758.jpg

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
The most fun I ever had in Microsoft flight sim(and the last time I played one of them) was in MSF 2004, flying the DC-3 on jobs around South America. If this lets me do that and isn't consolised to death then I'll probably buy it. Even better if I can do it with a friend, a bit like Euro Truck Simulator.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
One area that is indeed impressive is the buildings. Compared to X-Planes Legoland it's a jump of 15 years.

Burning Bridges

Tbh it looks like the old FSEconomy will be shut down soon due to a hacker problem, but I think it would normally reemerge in the future and support FS2020.

It's too early to tell now because we don't know if FS will support it (but I think it will).

Burning Bridges

Wait until it come out.

I usually end up spending several hundred $ per flight sim, but in terms of time per investment it is a good deal.

Naraya

Arcane
I got to say I am excited for this. I might actually upgrade my not-so-modern-but-still-good-enough PC to play it in all its glory.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Is this a joke?

The two images look completely different, the landclass files must be from a random generator. Absolutely nothing matches reality.

There are already many addons for flight sims that have landclass and OSM files where theoretically every house is at the exact place (https://simheaven.com/simdownloads/x-europe-4/). If the above is an indication of the quality in MSFS 2020, it will be purely Autogen which was state of the art ca 20 years app. Someone who uses those images to advertise FS2020 must be completely clueless about what is current state of the art in the flight sim business.

Burning Bridges

Well, they have DirectX 12 and considerable resources. So it will look better than most flight sims from a graphical standpoint for sure. I sometimes see screenshots MSFS 2020 that blow me away, and other times they look worse than the flight sim that I already play. From what I have seen the MSFS world will not be of consistently high quality that they like to show in their ads, and it could piss off some people.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It looks like a "upgrade your shitty computer" game. My kid is crazy about this shit and looks forward to it but Im not sure if the current setup I got will be enough.

Burning Bridges

It will run on the X-Box, so I think a medium-tier PC will do, but constantly need to download the data from the internet. If you let your kid play this all day you can say good-bye to your bandwidth.

Also kids these days play flight sims? Is your son a little genius? Otherwise he will play it for 1 evening and then say it's too hard.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Has your kid got DCS? Worth a shot in the meantime. MS Flight Sim probably has a low settings which will work on a weak pc, but you could see if he likes it. If he gets hooked, save for an upgrade or new pc. Always go desktop, laptops are for people on the go, not gaming.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The kid is crazy about planes. Kodexian IQ levels. Even took him to try out some simulators, think one in Västerås cost me like close to 200 euros for half an hour to sit with a real pilot. Dont think he tried DCS.
He got this app on his phone where he does all the check up before take off in Flight Simulator. Takes like 45 minutes before he even lifts off.

He got good grades so its hard to deny him shit he likes. So I'll probably upgrade if needed.

Thing about Xbox version means that you need to play with a gamepad. Doubt that the flightstick will work on X unless they make one.

Tiger

Learned
The recommended specs aren't that outrageous. For example a GTX 970 won't cost much these days off ebay. Unless you have a real potato it shouldn't be too bad. Think of the enjoyment your boy will get.

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X, or Intel i5-8400
  • GPU: Radeon RX 590, or Nvidia GTX 970
  • VRAM: 4 GB
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • HDD: 150 GB
  • Internetspeed: 20 Mbps (2.5 MB/s)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom