Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft Store & PC Game Pass Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Coming to PC in December: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/29/xbox-game-pass-ultimate-members-get-ea-play-on-november-10/

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Members Get EA Play on November 10

Just six weeks from today, we continue our journey with the launch of Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. Jumping into the next generation of gaming with you – the player – at the center, we are working with creators around the globe to empower everyone to play the games they want, with the friends they want, when and where they want. With both Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, you will be able to play thousands of titles spanning four generations of gaming, from the most creative and innovative teams across the industry. And it’s thanks to those ambitious game creators that there are thousands more to come.

This will be a massive moment for gamers and we’re excited to bring it to life with Xbox Game Pass and the amazing franchises from Xbox Game Studios and our industry partners, on day one. Xbox Game Pass connects people with a library of over 100 great games across consoles, PCs and now Android devices. As we announced last week, we now have more than 15 million Xbox Game Pass members from 41 countries. While we’ll continue to update the library with new games and provide great new perks for our Ultimate members, there are a couple of additions coming that I’m really excited about.

EA Play Coming This Holiday

Earlier this month we announced that we’ve teamed up with Electronic Arts to provide Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and PC members an EA Play membership at no additional cost. Today I’m announcing that starting November 10, EA Play will be available on Xbox consoles, including Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X, as part of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, and beginning in December, members with an Ultimate or PC subscription will be able to download and play games from the EA Play library on Windows 10 PCs.* That means we will have a whole new collection of games coming your way on console and PC, and that some of the best EA Play games will also be available for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members to play on Android devices via the cloud.

Bringing Bethesda Games to Xbox Game Pass

As we shared, Bethesda were early supporters of Xbox Game Pass, and we will be adding Bethesda’s iconic franchises to Xbox Game Pass for console and PC. One of the things that has me most excited is seeing the roadmap with Bethesda’s future games, coming to Xbox console and PC including Starfield, the highly anticipated, new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios and Doom Eternal, which is coming to Xbox Game Pass on October 1 and for PC later in 2020.

XboxEco_PlayerAtTheCenter_1920x1080.gif

We have been waiting for this moment for a long time and now it’s finally here. We are entering the next generation of gaming – and it looks and feels unlike any before it. With cross-play connecting people across platforms, Xbox Game Pass continually bringing new experiences to discover, and cloud gaming making it possible to play anywhere, there have never been more ways to play with Xbox.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...on-is-not-to-turn-everybody-into-a-subscriber

Phil Spencer: "Our motivation is not to turn everybody into a subscriber"
The Xbox chief renewed his commitment to retail and said Game Pass is not here to "take options away from people"

During an episode of the Dropped Frames podcast, released yesterday, Xbox head Phil Spencer discussed Game Pass' business model and how developers perceive the subscription service.

He highlighted that some developers do have concerns about Game Pass and Xbox's long term goals, which led him to reiterate the platform holder's commitment to retail. This echoes Microsoft's recent announcement that it will share digital revenues with retailer GameStop on every Xbox it sells.

"I have conversations with a lot of these developers about what are our real long term goals. We get questions about: hey is this some kind of way [to] secure a bunch of players and then rack the price up to a new level? And I say: there's no plan for us to do anything like that. We like the value that Game Pass is today and from a business model it's completely sustainable the way it is. And I mean that."

Some of the questions developers have been asking him revolve around the value of titles on Game Pass in the long run, Spencer said, and whether or not that value diminishes if people aren't paying for a game.

"It's not like I've got a crystal ball and I can tell somebody what GamePass is going to look like in five years. What I can say is that our motivation is not to turn everybody into a subscriber. We think it's an option for people. We're not pulling our games out of retail. In fact, we've expanded. We put them on Steam. We have some games in the [Epic Games Store]. We are out there to give more options to go buy our games. We obviously support free-to-play games, which don't have a big role today in Game Pass."

Spencer also highlighted that Xbox sometimes receives pitches of games that can only work as part of the Game Pass model, which isn't necessarily what the platform holder is after by the sounds of it.

"What I've said for the longest time publicly -- and I believe this -- is I'm not creating Game Pass to take options away from people. Like you can go buy Tell Me Why at retail, you can buy Flight Sim at retail, and I think it's healthy that our industry has multiple business models.

"But I'll be honest there are developers and studios that are coming and building almost a specific model that works in a subscription, where it's hard to think about how that translates exactly to a retail model."

While Spencer said he wanted to "entertain those ideas" as they push the traditional boundaries of game distribution, he ultimately wants everything to be available everywhere. "It makes us think about how other people who don't want to subscribe would also get to play," he concluded on the topic.

Game Pass surpassed 15 million subscribers in September.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EA Play delayed: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/12/15/update-on-ea-play-xbox-game-pass-for-pc-2021/

Update on EA Play: Coming to Xbox Game Pass for PC in 2021

When we originally set out to write this blog post, which would announce the availability of EA Play on PC with Xbox Game Pass, it looked a little bit different. Unfortunately, what had been a celebratory post is now one asking for a little more patience: We made the decision to delay until 2021 the release of EA Play on PC as part of the Xbox Game Pass for PC and Ultimate memberships.

We established this partnership with Electronic Arts because they are as passionate as we are about helping people and communities discover great games, and we knew we could provide a great experience for members by working together. In order to deliver on that, we need more time to provide the Xbox Game Pass experience.

We’ll have more to share early next year; as always, we appreciate your support as we work to deliver this experience for our Xbox Game Pass members. Stay tuned for more information.

Just activated my 1 dorra 1 month sub for this (in my region the monthly fee comes up to less than 6 dorra) and I have to say I'm impressed with the quantity of titles. All the Yakuza titles are available and they just released the 3-4-5 remasters on PC. Good stuff. My only complaint is that the download speeds are really bad. I've tried changing Windows' dynamic optimization settings, but I can only get around 5-8Mb/s whereas Steam saturates my connection at 25Mb/s.

I'm of course weary of Microsoft removing games from the service, which would suck. Has it happened before? If so, definitely not worth it.

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just activated my 1 dorra 1 month sub for this (in my region the monthly fee comes up to less than 6 dorra) and I have to say I'm impressed with the quantity of titles. All the Yakuza titles are available and they just released the 3-4-5 remasters on PC. Good stuff. My only complaint is that the download speeds are really bad. I've tried changing Windows' dynamic optimization settings, but I can only get around 5-8Mb/s whereas Steam saturates my connection at 25Mb/s.

I'm of course weary of Microsoft removing games from the service, which would suck. Has it happened before? If so, definitely not worth it.

Yes, stuff does get removed sometimes. It also comes back sometimes, as I see Ghost of a Tale on there and I could swear it was there before and got nuked. They give you a months notice of games going and tbh, it's not usually 'major' games more indie stuff. No Microsoft game has been removed as far I remember.

Cromwell

Arcane

they do remove stuff regularly, they warn you a while before about it and give you a discount if you chose to buy these games. In genereal you should buy what you really like and use gamepass for evrything you dont need to own.

If I were to buy any of the games it would definitely be from Steam, as the discounts there are much deeper. For now, I am enjoying the service well enough - too bad about the shitty download speeds, though. I'll probably play through the Yakuza games on Game Pass, I only own 0 on Steam.

Cromwell

Arcane
If I were to buy any of the games it would definitely be from Steam,

yes I didnt mean you have to get it there just get the games you know you will paly again and again or strictly need in your collection. I was happy that they have Yakuza for example but I still bought the physical collection for ps4. I treat the gamepass like the flatrate in one of the old videostores (and god how I miss these).

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's good for games that you'd never buy on Steam but fancy trying. Rage 2 for example I enjoyed my 20 hours with it but then I deleted it and will never play it again. Streets of Rage 4 I'd never buy but I have it installed for when I feel like 20 minutes of disengage-brain bashing.

Not sure why you're getting slow DL rates, mine are usually comparable with Steam.

For those thinking to subscribe do note that you need to be online to play. Even if you download a game and your internet is down then games are inaccessible.

Maybe this was changed recently, but there's now an option in the Xbox client called "offline permissions" that you can activate to enable offline play. However, you are limited to 3 activations on distinct devices per year.

Krivol

Magister
What about DLC's ? When I got account almost zero games had any (imagine playing Europa Universalis 4 on xbox gamepass)

Wysłane z mojego SM-A715F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Don Peste

Arcane
Usually it's no DLCs at all. But I think it's still $1 for 1 month, and sometimes even for 3 months (my current subscription).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
EA Play is coming to PC Pass tomorrow.

It uses the new EA PC client instead of Origin (that will be discontinued later). I guess they delayed this thing on PC because EA wanted to ready their new client before the influx of new users.

About time since they've delayed that 4-5 months now. Not in any great rush to play much EA stuff but I wouldn't mind taking a look at Jedi Souls or the new space game at some point.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Starting from August, Microsoft Store will offer Epic 88% revenue share without the exclusivity bullshit: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/04/29/continuing-our-pc-gaming-journey-in-2021-and-beyond/

Game developers are at the heart of bringing great games to our players, and we want them to find success on our platforms. That’s why today we’re announcing that we’re updating our Microsoft Store terms for PC game developers. As part of our commitment to empower every PC game creator to achieve more, starting on August 1 the developer share of Microsoft Store PC games sales net revenue will increase to 88%, from 70%. A clear, no-strings-attached revenue share means developers can bring more games to more players and find greater commercial success from doing so. You can read more about this new revenue share and our work with developers from CVP, Head of Game Creator Experience and Ecosystem Sarah Bond.

Continuing Our PC Gaming Journey in 2021 and Beyond
by Matt Booty, Head of Xbox Game Studios • Apr 29, 2021 @ 6:00am

We’ve talked often about our “player-first” approach to gaming over the last few years. In the past, that may have meant different things to different people, especially for those who identified strongly with being a console gamer, a PC gamer, or a mobile gamer. If you were to walk the (virtual) halls at Xbox today, I think you’d find that to us, the idea of the “player” has come to mean someone who plays many kinds of games on many different devices. PC gaming is part of this; “player first” has to apply for PC, as well, and to that end we’ve been making investments across the PC gaming ecosystem to ensure that PC is a key part of how people can play games.

Building Communities Around Games, Not Devices

A big part of our role as a platform holder and game publisher is to connect players with games no matter where they play. Over the last 18 months we’ve launched games on PC like Age of Empires II and III DE, Gears Tactics, Wasteland 3, Minecraft Dungeons, and Microsoft Flight Simulator, many of which topped the Steam charts at launch. We’re looking forward to delivering more PC content, including Age of Empires IV, later this year. Whether they are new genres for established franchises, the next iteration of a classic favorite or the evolution of a storied PC brand, we’re making games that PC gamers love to play.

We know many of you play across more than just your PC, including on Xbox and mobile. That’s why we’re excited to announce Halo Infinite will support multiplayer cross-play and cross-progression when it releases later this year. That means if you’re playing on PC, you can play with your friends on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. It also means that your multiplayer customization and progress will follow you across all platforms.

hi-mar-2.jpg

We have been working closely with the PC community to ensure that Halo Infinite offers a premier PC experience, including highly desired features such as support for ultrawide and super ultrawide screens, triple keybinds, a wide variety of advanced graphics options and more. We want to make sure that Halo is serving the PC community.

We’re also using the cloud to make console gaming accessible on even more PCs. While not meant to replace native PC gaming, Xbox Cloud Gaming allows Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members to play over 100 console games on a wide range of computers, from lower-spec, entry-level machines to older devices that otherwise couldn’t handle games that require more power.

hi-mar-3.jpg

Creating Experiences Tailored to PC Gamers

We believe it’s important that players have a choice in where they purchase games and we want to make accessing content even easier. We know that the PC community uses multiple storefronts, which is why we also brought Sea of Thieves, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Age of Empires I, II, and III: Definitive Edition, and Forza Horizon 4 to Steam.

There are also millions of people opting to use their Xbox Game Pass membership to play. We launched Halo: The Master Chief Collection at the end of 2019 on the PC as part of Xbox Game Pass for PC; since then, over 10 million players have played it, with the vast majority of them being brand new to the franchise. We’re encouraged by the community’s response, and we continue to bring more games from publishers and developers across the industry into the Xbox Game Pass for PC library. We’re only four months into 2021, and we’ve already added 100 titles, including award-winning Bethesda games and brand new PC games, and we partnered with Electronic Arts to make EA Play a part of Xbox Game Pass for PC and Ultimate memberships at no additional cost. More than 50 leading device partners, including Acer, ASUS, Lenovo, MSI and Razer, are offering Xbox Game Pass for PC with qualifying devices, giving gamers around the world access to the library.

We regularly work on features and functionality that improves and/or allows for a more customized experience like Xbox Game Bar. We’re also bringing more quality-of-life improvements to PC gamers, including improved install reliability and faster download speeds over the next few months. We look forward to sharing more details on that soon.

Helping Developers Deliver Exceptional Experiences

Game developers are at the heart of bringing great games to our players, and we want them to find success on our platforms. That’s why today we’re announcing that we’re updating our Microsoft Store terms for PC game developers. As part of our commitment to empower every PC game creator to achieve more, starting on August 1 the developer share of Microsoft Store PC games sales net revenue will increase to 88%, from 70%. A clear, no-strings-attached revenue share means developers can bring more games to more players and find greater commercial success from doing so. You can read more about this new revenue share and our work with developers from CVP, Head of Game Creator Experience and Ecosystem Sarah Bond.

We empower developers to decide how to deliver their work based on their creative vision. Developing for PC was a priority for Microsoft Flight Simulator last year, using the help of Azure AI, machine learning, Azure Cognitive Services, and Bing Maps to bring the entire planet to life. . We’re also looking forward to releasing Age of Empires IV this fall, which modernizes the iconic RTS franchise for new and returning players with the first all-new title in the last 10 years. We’re building on our history in PC gaming with the addition of inXile entertainment, Obsidian and Bethesda to our development teams – bringing their world-class talent and heritage into the Xbox team.

We’re proud to empower all developers with the platform and services they need to execute their vision and provide exceptional experiences on PC. We introduced DirectX 12 Ultimate to both Xbox Series X|S and PC; coupled with the newly announced DirectX 12 Agility SDK, this enables incredible graphics experiences, like ray tracing, for an even larger set of PC gamers. We’re taking the work we did with our Auto HDR technology on Xbox to PC gamers, which is currently being tested with over 1,000 DirectX-based games. We’re also bringing DirectStorage technology on Xbox to PC, which means vastly reduced load times and more expansive and detailed virtual worlds.

The Future of PC Gaming is Brighter than Ever

We know that we still have a lot of work to do, but based on the response from both PC gamers and PC game developers, we think that we’re headed in the right direction for this community with the investments we’re making. We have never been in a better position as an organization to deliver for PC gamers, with Xbox Game Studios and Bethesda developing content for both PC and Xbox, the Windows and DirectX teams creating technologies that empower developers and provide PC players with features that specifically take advantage of PC hardware, Xbox Game Pass for PC featuring games for every type of PC gamer with Xbox Game Studio games coming on day one, and the ongoing evolution of the Xbox app and Xbox Game Bar. We’ll continue listening to the community to ensure we’re delivering on our promises, and respecting how players choose to play. This is especially true as we head into the second half of 2021, when our work across the entire PC ecosystem has the potential to come together in a way that propels the industry forward and brings great games to more gamers around the world.

Perkel

Arcane
In shock to no one another shop bites lower %.

I wonder how those assholes of people saying 30% is "right" gape after pretty much every shop lowered it down aside from consoles and Steam*

I have even btter prediction. 12% cut is actually still wayy too fucking big. 2-3% cut is where it should be.

unknown.png

Perkel

Arcane
We'll have to see if it's sustainable.

lol. Food markets operate at 1-2% margins wit hall that extra stuff like buildings, physical goods and so on. And somehow digital shop who only pays for a bit of bandwith and HDD space + some servers for their site apparently can't function without 30% cut.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom