Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic 1-9

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Hey there,
I recently finished this awesome game called Might & Magic 6 (this is the first Might & Magic game which I've played so far) and want to continue to explore the series. But I don'T really know if I should move upwards to M&M7 or go backwards and play the older ones. Any suggestions on that? Also, which Might & Magic is the best of the series (heard that Might & Magic 9 is horrible)?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Check out this thread for a thorough discussion and a poll about the M&M games:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=42757

There are three "generations" of M&M. First is 1 and 2, second is 3-5, third is 6-9.

If you are prepared to map manually, start with MM1.
MM 2 is my personal favourite, but it's extremely hard in the beginning if you don't import a victorious party from MM1.
So the safe choice is to start with MM3 if you don't mind the old graphics.

If you liked MM6 you're gonna like MM7. MM8 is also in the same vein, but is more unbalanced since you can have overpowered dragon characters.
MM 9 was released half a year before it was finished, and parts of it is laughably bad. But it's still playable.

DaveO

Erudite
If you want the best Might & Magic experience, then play thru World of Xeen(MM4 + MM5). None of the newer M&M Windows games in the series come close to WoX.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
octavius said:
So the safe choice is to start with MM3 if you don't mind the old graphics.
I think 3-5 are the best looking M&M games. Their graphics aged p. well.

if you're going to play MM3, I recommend this page: http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/pc/mm3/general.shtml It has tables for item modifiers, spells, etc. Very handy, because in M&M3 you have to identify an item everytime you want to see its stats, but with that page you can just control+f for the modifier in the item name to check what it does.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Going with MM4+5.

So, how exactly do I install the game? Do I have to download MM4, install it, download MM5, install it or is there some complete package out there?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom