Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic is finally out on GOG!!

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Darth Slaughter said:
Who owns the wizardry series nowadays?

Not sure, tried sniffing around on Google to se who might have purchased/gobbled them up but no luck, thus far. Then again, I am just casually cruising and not really digging for info.

mondblut

Arcane
Wasn't it out since, like, 1996?

:roll: I perfectly understand a desire to possess a physical copy of the game, with box, manual, maps and whatnot. I perfectly understand a desire to support original developer/publisher so they would continue to produce quality games. But paying to third party to download a bunch of files that were all over internet for fifteen years for free? While every company associated with original game production has broken and was resold thrice since? This just does not compute.

If GoG can actually sell a copy of *Ishar*, for fuck's sake, they should start a successful billion-dollar venture of selling yellow snow to the eskimos.

made

Arcane
Someone else said:
GOG rocks.
Yea, thank God for GoG. Now we don't have to go to abandonia to download games for free anymore. In fact, we can't, because games that are commercially available get the
nogo.gif
stamp.

ecliptic

Liturgist
I have no problem supporting GOG. It's a great site. I bought Gothic and Arx Fatalis from there. I'll be buying this from there too.

I appreciate the no-DRM and the fact that I can run it and know that's it's most likely going to run. And I don't need to fish around for the manuals either.

Divinity: Original Sin
Is it easy to configure DOSbox options in games purchased from GOG?

Could I use a DOSbox front-end, like Dfend? Or they have their own .conf files, which we would heve to change manually?

Because configuring manually is very boring.

made said:
Someone else said:
GOG rocks.
Yea, thank God for GoG. Now we don't have to go to abandonia to download games for free anymore. In fact, we can't, because games that are commercially available get the
nogo.gif
stamp.

I see it two ways. I like the fact that they have downloads of all the bits and pieces, and it is ready to run on a modern PC without stuffing around. However, I think it is pathetic that they hunt down every other download of the game. If people don't mind getting an older game up and running, and don't mind the hassle, then GOG should back off. I could have sworn they said something about not doing this when they initially started up.

Luzur, swing a Carbon copy of your answer to Made my way please.

MetalCraze

Arcane
mondblut said:
I perfectly understand a desire to possess a physical copy of the game, with box, manual, maps and whatnot. I perfectly understand a desire to support original developer/publisher so they would continue to produce quality games. But paying to third party to download a bunch of files that were all over internet for fifteen years for free? While every company associated with original game production has broken and was resold thrice since? This just does not compute.
This is called GoG. They are grabbing money for something that was free/available everywhere (and noone owns it) and don't pay anything to people who made that game.
I dare those fuckers to sell something with a serial number protection. What will they do?

Seldon

Educated
Blackadder said:
... However, I think it is pathetic that they hunt down every other download of the game. If people don't mind getting an older game up and running, and don't mind the hassle, then GOG should back off. I could have sworn they said something about not doing this when they initially started up.

What are you basing this on? The only abandonware service that takes down their releases when GOG's catalogue expands that I am aware of is Abandonia, and they do it of their own accord. It is not so strange when you think about it, after all it can no longer be considered abandonware when it is commercially available (of course the term Abandonware itself is obviously a problematic concept).

MetalCraze said:
This is called GoG. They are grabbing money for something that was free/available everywhere (and noone owns it)

You should not confuse Abandonware with Freeware Mr. Skyway. Besides all the games available on GOG are owned by different corporations. the entire HoMM and Might and Magic series are for example owned by Ubisoft. But I have a nagging suspicion that you are aware of that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except it is illegally available. Both NWC and 3DO never gave GOG a permission to sell their copyrighted material. But what a luck - both NWC and 3DO are long dead so there is nobody who will sue GOG. This is worse than piracy - people who torrent the same games don't make money on that.

Arcks

Educated
MetalCraze said:
This is called GoG. They are grabbing money for something that was free/available everywhere (and noone owns it) and don't pay anything to people who made that game.
I dare those fuckers to sell something with a serial number protection. What will they do?

Don't be a fucking idiot. If that were the case, there would be much bigger catalogue. Instead, they buy the rights to sell these games from their old publishers, who, you know, own the rights for their games. Just because Michael Jackson is fucking dead, doesn't mean everything he ever produced is suddenly free.

And what does ESA exactly have to do with GOG?

Luzur

Good Sir
Blackadder said:
made said:
Someone else said:
GOG rocks.
nogo.gif
stamp.

I see it two ways. I like the fact that they have downloads of all the bits and pieces, and it is ready to run on a modern PC without stuffing around. However, I think it is pathetic that they hunt down every other download of the game. If people don't mind getting an older game up and running, and don't mind the hassle, then GOG should back off. I could have sworn they said something about not doing this when they initially started up.

Luzur, swing a Carbon copy of your answer to Made my way please.

simple, they usually just replace the "download this game" button with the "ESA-NO GO" button, but keep the files on their server.

so just look up the number of the game you want to download ex. civilization II (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/99/Ci ... on+II.html) and type:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/downloadgame/99

and voila! instant download.

Mighty Mouse

Novice
MetalCraze said:
Except it is illegally available. Both NWC and 3DO never gave GOG a permission to sell their copyrighted material. But what a luck - both NWC and 3DO are long dead so there is nobody who will sue GOG.

NWC and 3DO didn't, but Ubisoft did. The M&M franchise is owned by Ubisoft. If GOG had started selling those games without asking a permission, Ubisoft would have surely sued them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom