Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic is finally out on GOG!!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
MetalCraze said:
I dare those fuckers to sell something with a serial number protection. What will they do?

If by this you mean a copy protection scheme like "Find word X on page Y, line Z", then I would say they would do nothing, as they already are selling several such games. I glanced over their catalogue and found 3 games that use(d) such a copy protection when they were originally released, including one of the Might & Magic games. I'm pretty certain they've removed it by now.

Whether GOG themselves removed the copy protection or someone else beat them to it is another story.

mondblut

Arcane
Luzur, you tried actually clicking the download link? The keep the DL pages, but the files themselves are gone, links are broken.

No, what GOG does is perfectly legal. A company made a game, and sank into the swamp. Another company bought the rights to the game, and sank into the swamp. Yet another bought the rights, burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth company who had zero shit to do with the game but bought the rights from those who bought the rights from those who bought the rights from the original producers stayed up, and licenses it to GOG for digital distribution. We may laugh and wonder in amazement at idiocy and unjustice of the whole corpus of modern "intellectual property laws", but under these laws this is perfectly valid practice.

What I do wonder about, is that the very same people who seethe and rage against non-free DLC, paid "premium content", microtransactions and other evil schemes (involving at least a minimal amount of creative content produced in process) of greedy corporate pigs to rob honest folk of their hard-earned cash - are all lining up like puppies to give GOG a sloppy blowjob for a chance to pay them cash for software created a long time ago by long-dead companies and people who went their own ways and won't get a cent for it, software that has been openly (if not technically "legally") available for free for a decade and more everywhere, with GOG's own involvement being limited to bundling a DOSbox shortcut with it. Is that an unhealthy fanboyish infatuation due to GOG opening up with The Most Holy Fallout, or plain hypocrisy?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A preconfigured DosBox WORKING version of M&M 1 to 6 is more than worth the 10$ to me.

I hate fiddling about with DosBox until something finally works. Several frontends make that easier, but it's still a pain in the ass. And still I don't manage to get 30-40% of the games working on my machine - and I'm far from being a computer illiterate ;).
You can't expect people not to spend so little money on games they would otherwise only be able to play if they torture themselves with a horrible-to-use tool, slow downloads, sometimes fucked up versions, no manual, etc. The list is big.

Nah... I pay for the service GOG offers (the above mentioned and all those manuals, extras, having easy access to the games, etc.), not primarily for being "officially allowed" to play the game, though that is nice. It is some kind of luxury, and one that is definitely worth its price.

Also, spending money on good old games, no matter who gets rich by that, is always good signal.

mondblut

Arcane
Service? Setting up 6 games for 10 bucks? Hmm, you just gave me a business idea... And shortcuts created by me will beat GOG's prices, yeehaw!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I hate fiddling about with DosBox until something finally works. Several frontends make that easier, but it's still a pain in the ass. And still I don't manage to get 30-40% of the games working on my machine - and I'm far from being a computer illiterate

Weird. The only problem I ever had was a game running slow in fullscreen, which was solved by changing the "output" to OpenGL. Nothing else. Everything runs just fine... unless by pain in the ass you mean the games which run too fast, in which case all you need to do is change the cycles.

No. GOG doesn't deserve money for this.

Luzur

Good Sir
mondblut said:
Luzur, you tried actually clicking the download link? The keep the DL pages, but the files themselves are gone, links are broken.

hmmm? they know about this "backdoor" perhaps? i have worked for me several times.

mondblut

Arcane
larpingdude16.5 said:
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/might_and_magic_series/technical_troubles_invisible_mouse_in_might_amp_amp_magic_4

I have vague memories of mouse cursor disappearing in charactersheet in M&M4 (or 3 maybe) back under original DOS, so it might be unrelated to dosbox. Of course, after 15 years my memory is cloudy.

Cynicus

Augur
Darth Slaughter said:
Who owns the wizardry series nowadays?

I vaguely recall reading an interview with Robert Sirotek just after the demise of Sir-Tech in which this question was put to him, and he pretty much dodged it. If Sirotek did sell the franchise, my bet would be that a Jap company bought it. They were batshit crazy for it back in the day. Personally, I hope the franchise remains a part of history. Wiz 8 was a bittersweet but great ending to the series. I don't think I could stomach a "new shit" reinvention.

Zeus

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
both NWC and 3DO are long dead so there is nobody who will sue GOG. This is worse than piracy - people who torrent the same games don't make money on that.

Wow. Just, wow.

mondblut

Arcane
thesheeep said:
...torture themselves with a horrible-to-use tool, slow downloads, sometimes fucked up versions, no manual, etc.

:decline:

People worried about that switched to xbawks as their exclusive gaming platform of choice, didn't they?

Also, spending money on good old games, no matter who gets rich by that, is always good signal.

So hypocrisy, then. Bethsoft asking cash for an additional location to their last game are greedy evil scumbags, some pollacks asking cash for freely available files a dead company produced 15 years ago and resold the rights to a third (then fourth, and fifth) party are a godsend that should be hyped and salivated over everytime they make another Dosbox shortcut.

Cynicus

Augur
mondblut said:

Must be a hit-or-miss sort of thing. I just tried it with M&M I and it worked.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Arcks said:
You try reading above.

OK I did - and my complaint is not about the game not being free anymore it's about being at least ethically incorrect. One way or another that money never get to where it meant to be and they charge them for a pretty shitty service. If they at least sold hard copies or copies of old games with unique serials I would understand but it's like they just DL stuff from abandonia, slap DosBox on it and here they go selling it for the price of a rare hard copy from a bargain bin.

Unkillable Cat said:
If by this you mean a copy protection scheme like "Find word X on page Y, line Z", then I would say they would do nothing, as they already are selling several such games.
No what I say is that CDP will hardly risk selling a game with serial - because all they do is selling the exactly same copy of the game again and again which is a pretty cheap trick. They even sell more recent E2160 without a serial needed for online activation and to get it "you must contact Support". Uhm, excuse me but what is this shit? (So much for "DRM-free" btw)
And then there is this fiasco with OFP which was one of "launch titles" for their whole shop.

Seldon

Educated
This is pretty funny.

There are obviously a lot of whiny disgusting little brats here, that think they are entitled to a constant flow of 'free' stuff. That it is their right to download items that belong to others, even if it is available DRM free for a cheap price, with tech support.

I hope you get raped by Neo Nazis, hard and long. Especially you Skyway. May a hundred hairy tattooed men cum in your mouth.

mondblut

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
it's like they just DL stuff from abandonia, slap DosBox on it and here they go selling it for the price of a rare hard copy from a bargain bin.

I just checked, the M&M download is tagged "limited edition" all over the place. A limited edition. Download. I am speechless.

Are they going to delete it after 555 downloads? Auction some downloads on ebay? Will first 50 downloads have an exclusive .nfo with Van Caneghem's signature in ASCII and a jpg of a handmade leather bag? Maybe it would be 222 downloads in .zip format and 333 in .rar? The fans desire to know!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
mondblut said:
So hypocrisy, then. Bethsoft asking cash for an additional location to their last game are greedy evil scumbags, some pollacks asking cash for freely available files a dead company produced 15 years ago and resold the rights to a third (then fourth, and fifth) party are a godsend that should be hyped and salivated over everytime they make another Dosbox shortcut.

Not from me. I never said a word against DLC, I even think it's a good idea, if done right. (decline incoming in 3....2...).
The Bethsoft DLC was mostly shit, though.
The concept of DLC is not.

mondblut said:
I just checked, the M&M download is tagged "limited edition" all over the place. A limited edition. Download. I am speechless.

This really IS weird.

Zeus

Cipher
You have to pick one of the two arguments below.

1) "When I buy a game, the original developers can't stop me from selling it on the secondhand market. They don't deserve to make a profit off something they already sold!"

2) "Those sons of bitches bought the rights to Might & Magic. They're profiting, but the original developers aren't making any money!"

You can't have it both ways.

Any time a developer or publisher bitches about the secondhand market (Gamestop), they're accused of being greedy for wanting more money from something that's already been sold (a game). But when a big company steps in and buys a game license, everyone bitches that the original developers/publishers aren't getting more money for... something that's already been sold.

Think about it.

mondblut

Arcane
Secondhand market deals with physical products. If I resell a game, I sell a factory-produced cdrom disk in a cartoon box and with a manual, not some airy bullshit like "license to use software". (Yes, I've heard some digital distribution outlets are trying to develop techs to "resell" digital copies to other users. This is funny really, trying to curb the XXI century technologies to conform to the bronze age distribution blueprints.)

As for the whole IP legislation stuff, this is an age-old (and ever so true) stereotype of rich CEOs of a distinctly middle-eastern origin purchasing an invention from a poor talent for some glass beads and then raking in gold, while talent in question is hungry and denied of every right to his creation. I am not even particularly against it, except some outstandingly outrageous cases involving said CEOs legally forbidding the original creator to continue on his work (as, for example, Gygax was forbidden to touch AD&D and Greyhawk, which he created, after being kicked out from TSR; or bands forced to disband due to draconian contractual obligations, like Creedence... there is a plenty of horrific instances when IP laws, which supposedly exist to "protect and encourage creativity", were openly used to squash that creativity).

But this whole thread really isn't about proprietary vs open source, copyright vs piracy, intellectual properties and shit. Everybody decides for himself whether to torrent a "0day release" or to delete a HOTU-downloaded zip of a '91 game because it is suddenly not "abandonware" any longer. What *does* puzzle me is how people can praise some IP squatters and the middlemen from nowhere for suddenly charging for previously de-facto free software, while in same time curse the modern industry for "greed" and "moneyleeching".

To put it your way, you have to pick one:

1. Paying some middleman for a download of an ancient game suddenly licensed from an IP squatter and made paid makes no practical sense.

2. Purchasing horse armor DLCs makes a lot of sense.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's not as if they are the only ones doing it -- Steam has more than a few of the same titles GOG does some of which are even cheaper. Hell, eventually Steam might just buy out GOG and their license to sell all off their games.

I do agree, though, the site has way too many 'boosters' who praise them for providing a service which consists little more than providing bandwidth and acquiring licenses. The more publishers see they can get something for nothing the more old titles you'll see pop up on sites like this -- competition will inevitably drive the prices lower than the $6 or so they go for now.

JudasIscariot said:
Finally, it is OUT!

They don't make them like this anymore... :(

Sweet! God, I love GOG! Looks like it will be a Might & Magic marathon for the next few weeks. I'll have to make sure I don't call in to work TOO many times with the "flu".

I also took advantage of the "buy one get one free" Interplay promo sale and picked up Sacrifice and Giants Kabuto.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
mondblut said:

Are they going to delete it after 555 downloads? Auction some downloads on ebay? Will first 50 downloads have an exclusive .nfo with Van Caneghem's signature in ASCII and a jpg of a handmade leather bag? Maybe it would be 222 downloads in .zip format and 333 in .rar? The fans desire to know!

Here's your answer: What the download includes is the contents of the Limited Edition box of Might & Magic 6. The Limited Edition of M&M6 includes M&M 1-5 + fan-made game Swords Of Xeen, as well as a World Map, which I believe GOG is including as a image file.

jazzotron

Liturgist
I've downloaded from GoG a couple of times - in the instances that I was unable to find a decently seeded torrent.

Divinity: Original Sin
I think the idea of selling old games is valid. Most of complaints here are refering to the very old games, made for dos, and are easily available for free on the net.

But there are some windows 95 games that don't rely on Dosbox, work badly in compatbility mode, and though you can look for the solution of trouble on the internet, it's sometimes very hard, time cosuming and not entirely 100 % solving.

For example, Riven (Myst 2) on windows vista/XP.
There's no Dosbox or Scummvm helping here. There are workarounds, but they're not perfect.

If GOG sell these games for a low price, manage to make them work on Vista/xp, with dosbox or not, offers some extras like manuals, maps, making ofs, etc, Ok. the only thing is that they most deliver what they promise.

about paying something for some dead company product, who cares? This happens in new, released games as well.

Like people who bought fallout 3 from bethesda and it being a property of interplay in the past.

This brings the DLC issue. In fact, DLC issue almost aways refers to bethesda. That they're charging for shit add-ons. Well, some payed for the shit full game an expensive price.

DLC is what was called "expansion" some couple years ago. Everybody payed for expansions. A lot more that a DLC costs.

And finally, not only old games are avaible for free on the internet, but new games also are. New games it's called piracy, old it's abandonware, which has a feeling of it being "legal". But what matters in the end is if you are willing to pay for a game or download it for free.

About wizardry, yes, I forgot that they release lots of games till this day that bears the franchise name. The even keep the original logo. Probably the japs own the franchise now.

mondblut

Arcane
Unkillable Cat said:
Here's your answer: What the download includes is the contents of the Limited Edition box of Might & Magic 6. The Limited Edition of M&M6 includes M&M 1-5 + fan-made game Swords Of Xeen, as well as a World Map, which I believe GOG is including as a image file.

Bah, you ruined my fun. I so hoped for an ultra-limited .7z package with an extra special filename and an exclusive handpainted Lord Xeen tin miniature included as an image file.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom