Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might & Magic Showdown, a tabletop-like PvP arena game - lol cancelled

Nael

Arcane
I miss the nacelles. :(

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Might and Magic: Let it die

No, just make it great again.

They did. With M&M X Legacy.

Maybe just make the next game a bit bigger and add character paper dolls. Reusing assets is fine, as it cuts down on development costs. Though I wish they reused the assets from another HoMM game... the ones from VI have very poor artistic direction. Assets from VII should be an improvement at least.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Might and Magic: Let it die

No, just make it great again.

1-JVC.jpg

Bring JVC back.

Because we had so much luck recently with has-beens trying to recapture the glory days of their youth

Thats why we need to kdinap that old staff! :D Seriously it could be so much better than an Elder Scrolls game.

Pretty low bar

Parsifarka

Arcane
I can't believe someone thinks M&M X, a game made in fucking Unity, as an effort to retrieve the greatness of its predecessors. I'm sure the small and mediocre team of Limbic did they best (achieving a decent result insufficient for a M&M game), but Ubi? Did they even try? M&M X and the criminal Heroes 7 have just been rope to hang the shitty M&M team: underbudgeted projects doomed since their inception. Who did something good for the franchise since Ubi bought it? Arkane (Dark Messiah, Capybara (Clash of Heroes) and Nival (I hate Heroes 5 but most fans of 3 are pleased with it and still has an active community) -there's something in common: they were never to work with Ubisoft again.
3DO was shit, yes, but under its wing NWC could give birth to wonderful things. Just compare the production values of M&M6 with M&MX... Isn't it almost as if Ubi wanted it to fail? Sad!
I think there has been a bloody war behind the scenes among the management team of Ubi which has the rotten corpse of M&M as its main victim. The news after the shameful stop of support for the Heroes 7 expansion provide some hope: the M&M team is dismantled. But I can't nor want to trust Ubi, so I'd wish them to let the franchise go to another company or let it disappear into the closet of failures.
I just want Equilibris HD and Heroes of the Ancient Order.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
we can only hope Vivendi finally takes over Ubi and gives that whole shithole a dose of their own medicine

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I can't believe someone thinks M&M X, a game made in fucking Unity, as an effort to retrieve the greatness of its predecessors. I'm sure the small and mediocre team of Limbic did they best (achieving a decent result insufficient for a M&M game), but Ubi? Did they even try? M&M X and the criminal Heroes 7 have just been rope to hang the shitty M&M team: underbudgeted projects doomed since their inception. Who did something good for the franchise since Ubi bought it? Arkane (Dark Messiah, Capybara (Clash of Heroes) and Nival (I hate Heroes 5 but most fans of 3 are pleased with it and still has an active community) -there's something in common: they were never to work with Ubisoft again.
3DO was shit, yes, but under its wing NWC could give birth to wonderful things. Just compare the production values of M&M6 with M&MX...

Production values... well, the scope of M&M 6 was certainly bigger and more ambitious. And the spell and class systems had some good development. But otherwise, I'm very unimpressed with this entry. I actually hate the direction the development took after the great M&M III-V. I actively try to forget the hybrid real-time abominations M&M VI - IX ever existed. The horrible pixelated flat sprites don't help.
For me M&M X is vastly ahead of VI-IX just by virtue of being turn and grid based. Makes combat 100x more interesting (and actually challenging in some places, rather then mindless shooting while exploiting terrain and AI). Also the class system is very tightly balanced and features interesting class skills. It is much closed to the series' roots then the 4 entries preceding it.

Parsifarka

Arcane
the M&M team is dismantled

That a confirmed fact or just a rumour?
https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/important-announcement-from-the-team
The only good news ever to came from that game.
Now you'll say that it just states that Limbic is out; well, it must be taken into consideration that so is Marzhin (the sympathetic fanboy with awful french accent that Ubi chose to always show smiling and appealing to nostalgia to cover up the shit, as can be seen in his interview with JVC), which suggests a)a deep reestructuration of the brand or b)that anything M&M is on hold.
Also, that vermin of Erwan LeBreton, the visible top head of the M&M team, is totally silent. The ship has definetely sank, Ubimasters rescued their pet from it and hopefully LeBreton is left drowning in the dissolution of his stupid fantasy (remind that he's the main responsible for the insufferable dragonspidey lore of Ashan and the most awful design choices).
Some context for Erwan.

The M&M team was a trainwreck since its first choice of dumping NWC and its work on Heroes 5 to pursue their bland, generic vision, comitting seppuku when throwing out the competent Nival to hire in abusive conditions BlackHole, an Hungarian company on the verge of collapse (which had to diseappear after finishing Heroes 6, giving Ubisoft the expansion developement to a team of chinese slaves, no joke) and so on... God, I'm glad that it's been stopped for good.
There's been too much shit all these years for someone outside of the M&M cult to understand the bloodbath of Ubi in a single read.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Other then a follow up to M&M X, I wish for a successor to HoMM V. I loved this game.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I haven't really followed the Heroes VII development. Wasn't it announced as kind of a "back to the roots to please the fans" and "HoMM III" spiritual successor? What went wrong (other than the bugs on release)?

Mightmagic

Augur
3DO was shit, yes, but under its wing NWC could give birth to wonderful things. Just compare the production values of M&M6 with M&MX... Isn't it almost as if Ubi wanted it to fail? Sad!
I think there has been a bloody war behind the scenes among the management team of Ubi which has the rotten corpse of M&M as its main victim. The news after the shameful stop of support for the Heroes 7 expansion provide some hope: the M&M team is dismantled. But I can't nor want to trust Ubi, so I'd wish them to let the franchise go to another company or let it disappear into the closet of failures.
I just want Equilibris HD and Heroes of the Ancient Order.
I prefer more M&MX than M&M 6.

Ranarama

Learned
I haven't really followed the Heroes VII development. Wasn't it announced as kind of a "back to the roots to please the fans" and "HoMM III" spiritual successor? What went wrong (other than the bugs on release)?

Turns out if you massively cut the budget and somehow make reused assets look worse than the previous incarnation, then often your promises on announcement will be lies.

duchU

Educated
MMX is ok but the performance is shit. I recently bought GTX 1070 + G-Sync monitor (a little overkill for Underrail I have been playing over the past few weeks [epic game BTW] but anyway ->) at some point I decided to check the problematic performance spots in MMX with the new GPU (combined with my over 2 years old SSD, i7, 16 GB Ram) and to my surprise the performance was as shit as it was with GTX 560 Ti... and this is really pathetic cos on the other hand when I launched Witcher 2 (act 1 forest) my jaw hit the basement floor and wanted to go even deepr because of the smoothness I saw. But at least MMX still had more luck than Heroes 7 I guess. Ubisoft deserves a special place in the lowest depths of hell.

Mychkine

Educated
MMX had one big flaw : it had design decisions on crucial things that departed from both classical M&M (esp. 3-5) and 3D M&M.

Fights in both grid based and free roam M&M were about fighting significient numbers of rather low-HP ennemies, some of them having strong attacks, including efficient instant-death ones. In contrast, M&M X had long fights against ennemies with midly annoying HP bloat. Timer management is king there and combat flows quite differently from all previous M&M games I have played. I do thing that the fighting system in X is good and engaging but it really does not feel like M&M.

Outdoor exploration shares the same problem. While the map is well-designed, it is more something of a big outdoor dungeon than it was in 3-5 and in 6-8 where outdoor exploration felt really different from dungeon crawling and provided for interesting changes of pace.

All in one, I thing the game has well deserved the little amount of praise it has been recieving but I really hope someone will eventually build proper successors to both 3-5 and 6-8 games.

Dorateen

Arcane
Fights in both grid based and free roam M&M were about fighting significient numbers of rather low-HP ennemies, some of them having strong attacks, including efficient instant-death ones. In contrast, M&M X had long fights against ennemies with midly annoying HP bloat. Timer management is king there and combat flows quite differently from all previous M&M games I have played. I do thing that the fighting system in X is good and engaging but it really does not feel like M&M.

I agree with this, and as others have observed, Legacy's combat almost feels more like Wizardry 8 than a Might & Magic game. Another area that MMX departed from the first five of the series, was with the four character party. I believe the combat pace would have been improved with two extra party members. And allowing free class choice among races, so that you could have a human druid, an elf free mage, dwarven paladin, etc.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Can't wait to play this moba game, there will be plenty of Might and Magic inspired hats in it, can't wait.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, it is a bit different.... but better balanced IMO. Plus in the first half of the game you can find some good challenges.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
> something very different for the Might & Magic universe!

I hope they understand MMXL, a blobber, was the only decent thing that came out in this franchise since 2009. Hope they don't make a MOBA/Overwatch clone or something.

Archibald

Arcane

Either you remember wrong or they lied. It continues from VI and adds some shit here and there.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Either you remember wrong or they lied. It continues from VI and adds some shit here and there.

Sounds more like HoMM V.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom