Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mike Laidlaw reveals his inspirations for DA3.

RPGMaster

Savant
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/315/index/8956034&lf=8

A significant number of the design team have played, enjoyed and considered Witcher 2, Deus Ex: HR and we've even been taking a look at some of the indie titles out there like Avadon (and even Aralon, on the iOs, which is pretty damn good, if you have the hardware).

Some of us have even taken a big 'ol swing through DA:O, DAII and the BG series.

Every RPG has pros and cons, and great ideas. I believe the reason Ray brought up Skyrim specifically is that he's very much a fan of certain elements of "openness" that he may or may not have been exposed to before that interview.

I can say no more.

Oh, and Dark Souls. Dear god, Dark Souls. I think timing the blades in Sen's Fortress may have broken a part of my soul, and I beat Demon's.

And then someone tells me Anor Londo is going to be worse. *sigh*

Still, Dark Souls is an exceptional example of atmosphere, mood and unquestionably clever level design.

hmmm.png

"I'm name dropping every last one of their favourite games so there's a chance we can trick them into believing our next game will be like all of their favourite game at the same time, and they will pre-order before finding out what's really going on"

Majestic47

Learned
Witcher 2? I foresee lots of polish for DA3. Hahah. But seriously, they can't go back. It's all action rpg now.

Angthoron

Arcane
In some parts of the world, that attitude would be called plagiarism. In gamedev, it's inspiration.

Medic

Scholar
Patron
Dark Souls is an RPG. The codex told me so.

It's even the best cRPG of 2011, no contest. If they take anything of DS design, there is a glimpse of hope that DA3 might be playable.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Laidlaw's teasing about the addition of a day/night cycle is odd, that's going to mess with their carefully-crafted cutscenes. And shouldn't they have more important things to work on? I doubt they're going the "x mission changes if you do it at night" route or even add sight penalties so it'll be a lot of work for something almost entirely cosmetic (oh look the store owners change, truly reactive work there).

funny how none of non-Bioware games he named are RPGs.
Avadon's not a RPG?

Either way, Bioware copying Vogel would be like a person defecating in another's mouth and then that person throws up in the other's.

Bioware is like the government. If you screw up, you don't get fired - you get promoted.
An optimistic way of viewing things is that they've promoted him to a position where he can't do as much damage. But being optimistic would be silly.

Achilles

Arcane
Of all the games Vogel made... they had to be inspired by Avadon. Figures.

coaster

Liturgist
Laidlaw calling
To the COD crew
DA has multiplayer
Mass Effect has too.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
What? Laidlow is still in charge? :eek:
I didn't get the impression that Laidlaw officially fucked up with DA2, he did his job and made the game his bosses wanted as far as he could in the short time allocated for the project.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Finally, Biowarians are waking the fuck up. If they manage to have Skyrims "openess" and Dark Souls combat system, then DAIII is gonna be the Game of the fucking Decade, faggots.

In before butthurt rage in 3...2...1...

RPGMaster

Savant
Finally, Biowarians are waking the fuck up. If they manage to have Skyrims "openess" and Dark Souls combat system, then DAIII is gonna be the Game of the fucking Decade, faggots.

If they deliver on 1/10th that promise I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Dark Souls is an RPG. The codex told me so.

It's even the best cRPG of 2011, no contest. If they take anything of DS design, there is a glimpse of hope that DA3 might be playable.
They won't though. They're just name dropping to create interest in their game by mentioning the names of other games that sold better or are better than their game. That way people think they're going to implement features from these other games into DA3, follow it's development and buy it. Laidlaw is full of shit and you got to be some kind of retard to have a ton of problems with the swinging blades in Sen's Fortress. He probably didn't even really play the game. Some idiot probably wrote that for him.

potatojohn

Arcane
I don't give a shit. I played DA1 for an hour before all the accumulated puke on my keyboard made it impossible to continue, I wasn't even tempted to download DA2. I don't even want to hear about DA3. Stop talking about it. Maybe if we ignore them, they'll go away.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO NEWFAGS LIKE SKYWAY WONT PLAY DARK SOULS BECAUSE IT IS TO HARD

OR LOLLOLOOL THEY CRY BECAUSE THE RPG OF THE YEAR IS A CONSOLE GAME

EITHER WAY PCTARDS ARE CRYING OVER ANOTHER CONSOLE GAME DA3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom