Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MINECRAFT (Codex Server)

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
MessiahMan said:
MessiahMan said:
Interested in seeing what you wierdos are doing with all your free time. My username is the_messiahman. Add me!

Just in case you fellers missed it the last page 'round (this thread moved fast) here's a repost.

+1, Pika_Cthulhu, however, I like to build mob grinders, and mine with TNT, mightnt be the best to have me running amok.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh well, I guess I'll have to spend all my free time working on my FFTactics LP.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Pika-Cthulhu said:
+1, Pika_Cthulhu, however, I like to build mob grinders, and mine with TNT, mightnt be the best to have me running amok.

How are you making the grinder? I only experimented with it when the 0,0 spawn bug was in effect, and back then you could get loads of items with a simple mob tower.

And I thought blast mining in general wasn't worth it? It's faster, yes, but you also lose majority of the blocks in the process.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Well, if you just want to carve out large hallways or get a pit to the bottom fast then it's worth it.

DarkUnderlord said:
Is it actually possible to stop MineCraft from automatically updating when you load it?
Turisas said:
Notch was meant to add a confirmation screen asking whether you want to update or not, but who knows what happened to that.
You should download the (newest) launcher again, it was updated separately, and asks if you want to update

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
A Gravity/Lava Mob grinder with a 25x25 profile from skybox to water level provides me with a decent quantity of TNT, if left overnight in the loot chute. Making it from Cobblestone may prove the bigger issue, as mining out all that crap can take a while, then placement. But I did it over one day (massive Autist mode, did not break much for food or toilet during) and it was creating me drops as soon as I placed the top section on. After placement, you will have to begin clearing out below it (I placed mine above a lake to decrease extra spawning locations outside the spawner) and after one night of sitting on the delivery tray, had plenty of Gunpowder to create several stacks of TNT, sufficient to begin mining operations in earnest.

With mining, you can lose blocks, however with shaped charges, you can choose to open up a 3x3x3, or a 3x3x4 cavity with one TNT charge. When mining the hole for the charge, you get a small glimpse into what you will be blasting, so there is a 50% chance of losing some ore, the speed of blasting however, makes up for this potential loss in my opinion.

For shaped charges, experiment a bit, but I have currently found that mining a placement hole (Not an engineer, or miner, so there is more than likely a correct phrase for it) 4 tiles deep (as far as your pick can reach) and then place one TNT block, and swap to a cobblestone block, activate the TNT, then place one, or two cobblestone blocks in the cavity you made, and dash back to avoid being in the blast radius. Clears out a 3x3x3 or 3x3x4 hole if all blocks are Stone or have Ore. Dirt and Gravel will carry the blast further and can open up a larger cavern.

I used a simple 25x25 tower build that I found here. With my bottom/killing floor just above the water level.

I dont get as much string as I get other mob drops, I suspect the Lava killers and spiders erratic movements to do with this. http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic ... 35&t=55552

Making it from Dirt seems a bit odd, as the Dirt will carry light levels, I used cobblestone, mind you, I did have Admin on that server, so it was incredibly easy for me to create vast quantities of stone for construction.

Some fast (and ugly) math has it at 889 blocks per spawning floor, 625 for a encased roof, and more per floor. Yes, it may take some time to recreate in Singleplayer with no instaspawn loot from Admin power. But my regular maps have me inundated with cobblestone, now that I have found a productive use for it....

For a game I bought in Alpha, it had given me many hours of joy.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah, wouldn't want to have to do any surviving on a survival server.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
You could always hunt creepers with a bow and arrow though. So far, that has been the best solution I have found to not getting blown up, and being able to secure the loot. (First server had some anti explosion thing, so you had to kill the creeper to get the (useless due to the mod) gunpowder before lag had him detonate and then the terrain repair itself. I really enjoy the survival aspect, being caught out away from my base, and making a mud hut in the middle of nowhere and then digging myself a new base.

Destroid

Arcane
It's not like surviving in that scenario is difficult, you can easily enough build yourself a hovel or a small tower and be perfectly safe provided you bring a torch.

I've found the most hazardous thing is teleport to my house then getting exploded by invisible creepers because I forget to relog. That and the spider/creeper ambush some mornings just outside my front door.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
An outer wall a bit further away from your house is always a good idea (with the inner courtyard properly lit so no spawns within the walls). I've never had invisible mobs - you get it only after using teleport or?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm pretty sure the server is set to easy, so things could easily be worse. On hard creepers can kill you from a good distance away, and with the lag from multiplayer that would make them really dangerous.

Destroid

Arcane
Turisas said:
An outer wall a bit further away from your house is always a good idea (with the inner courtyard properly lit so no spawns within the walls). I've never had invisible mobs - you get it only after using teleport or?

Yeah I've only had the invisible monsters after using the teleport, but it seems to be pretty consistent.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
garren said:
Zed said:
I WANT TO PLAY
IDD BUKKIT IS UPDATED FOR 1.5_02 OH GOD WHERES MY SERVER HEAVAN
Why do we use bukkit again? What mods does it have that any of us are actually using?

EDIT:

1.5_02 (Server only update) April 20, 2011

Bug Fixes:

* Game no longer crashes from "internal server error" created by bugs in 1.5_01's Server in SMP
* Players no longer get the "dirt screen" when taking something out of the Crafting Table

New Bugs:

* In SMP placing Rails in North/South direction, followed by placing a piece of rails on the side (and thus making a curve) results in no curve.
* "Outside" rain sound still plays when under a glass shelter.
* During rain in SMP, the server may disconnect you if you attempt to place or destroy blocks.
* When you go full-screen (F11) the game will crash

hahahohwowgodepicsigh.gif

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
amazons3_bucket.jpg

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
DarkUnderlord said:
Why do we use bukkit again? What mods does it have that any of us are actually using?

The, umm... Err, those nice little user group tags like [Codexians]? Yeah those are p. cool.

Xor

Arcane
Isn't bukkit what keeps anyone from logging into the server and fucking up our shit?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Xor said:
Isn't bukkit what keeps anyone from logging into the server and fucking up our shit?

Default server supports whitelist, bukkit mods can just add some more protections against griefing and such.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
is the /sethome and /home command from bukkit?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom