Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MINECRAFT (Codex Server)

Luzur

Good Sir
Pentium Dual CPU 3.00GHz
4 Gig RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate SP 2
Nividia GeForce 7900 GS

etc etc

ive updated all, drivers, java, minecraft several times.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
you need more gigahertz. install a new fan and at least 3 new chipcards. check mothermodem for faulty DOS too. better update you windows update with update manager tool 2, then update your windows with service pack update 4 updater. then update that shit with an update.

Multi-headed Cow

Luzur said:
hmmm, is it me or have blackscreen increased since the update?

usually i am allowed an hour or more of gameplay before it happens, now its just some 15 min.
If you're running a 64 bit OS make sure you're running 64 bit Java. Easiest way to tell is launch Minecraft and ctrl-shift-esc to check your processes and see if javaw.exe has a *32 on the end or not. If it doesn't, then you ARE running the correct Java. If it does, you aren't.

To install that, the easiest way I found to get it to install (Since their webpage seems to spit a single option at you depending on browser I guess) was go to Java and try downloading using Internet Explorer 64 bit. Dunno if it would also work on plain IE, it might just be it doesn't like Firefox. Anywho, that's how I eventually solved blackscreens.

Also, if you're not running a 64 bit OS the problem is apparently tied to RAM. Setting your draw distance closer supposedly might help somewhat.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
viewing the isometric map pretty much kills my computer :P

garren

Arcane
Patron
Looks like the firebug has bitten Middle Codexia en masse!

Having a nice evening stroll in the thunderstorm and what do I see? SHIT ON FIRE. Tried to take screens what I could with print screen:

Wmmo7.jpg

wYcGk.jpg

VIWFf.jpg

:rage:

The Aftermath:

zdCDw.jpg

The great wooden glass house built by unknown stranger has seen its last days. :salute: But that's not all! Looks like the big forest/treehouse thingy is completely down also! The balloon you see in the background is built by me btw, you can bet your ass that it's going down next in another thunderstorm:

04Wk0.jpg

BUT WAIT! Aren't we forgetting something? THAT'S RIGHT, what about the bigass floating ship in the sky?!

dLMSB.jpg

Whew, still in one piece. Until next time that is...

Who knows what else the last stunderstorm burnt away.

(plz forgive the various sizes of pictures i cropped them shittily in a hurry)

Luzur

Good Sir
Zed said:
you need more gigahertz. install a new fan and at least 3 new chipcards. check mothermodem for faulty DOS too. better update you windows update with update manager tool 2, then update your windows with service pack update 4 updater. then update that shit with an update.

modermodemet, ja.

also, better put stone roofs on your houses, thunder is griefing with fire nowadays.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
garren said:
Who knows what else the last stunderstorm burnt away.

Like with most things in Minecraft, potentially only stuff in the chunks that currently were loaded by the server (ie. those close enough to online players).

So if you want to save some area, run like hell away from it, go to sleep immediately or use one of the tele commands.

Someone spawned the netherrack for the balloon for you, right? I want some too! :M

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Wooden slabs appear immune to fire/lightning, and look like normal wooden blocks if stacked on each other. May help aesthetics survive the griefing weather.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Turisas said:
Someone spawned the netherrack for the balloon for you, right? I want some too! :M
No I stole it from Jim Cojones tower :twisted:

Sorry Jim I'll make it up for you!

Turisas said:
Like with most things in Minecraft, potentially only stuff in the chunks that currently were loaded by the server (ie. those close enough to online players).

So if you want to save some area, run like hell away from it, go to sleep immediately or use one of the tele commands.
Yeah but if a fire starts at some place and you teleport away with /home for example, the chunks remember that they're on fire, and the next time someone goes there the place is still gonna burn, right?

EDIT:

I just read that the stuff burning in SMP while raining is supposedly a bug and shouldn't happen.

So the real question is, since I'm wondering anyways, are we gonna do a server rollback because of the burnt stuff? I say no, because that shit was too flammable anyways and would have burned down some day (again) anyway, and not just because of lightning. Now that we got free room for real estate nearby, why not build something bigger and better (and non-flammable) there that blows away anything that was there before?

Pika-Cthulhu said:
Wooden slabs appear immune to fire/lightning, and look like normal wooden blocks if stacked on each other. May help aesthetics survive the griefing weather.
Great advice.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Holy SHIT! Have someone looked up DU's castle...

IThe damage is awsome..i mean really..i love that aftermath of it, but yeah...i think a rollback would be prudent.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
minecraft1.jpg

Wasn't there a bridge here?

minecraft2.jpg

Fuck.

minecraft3.jpg

This is actually kind of hilarious.

Edit: none of my shit was torched, thankfully.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
... and the manfools piled rock on rock and raised a treesie roof.

Builds your roofs of dead wood.
Builds your walls of dead stones.
Builds your dreams of dead thoughts.

Rose the storms in shouty glee,
The darkness in faery glooms,
The fires in happy greed.

'Twas the will of the Woodsie Lord.

Afaik this is a problem with Bukkit - fire from lightning doesn't really get to spread on vanilla servers because of the rain. For some reason rain doesn't extinquish the fires fast enough when you use Bukkit.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So I log in to the server and continue building my farming area. I run out of rock and I go inside to get more and I'm like:

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

garren said:
Looks like the firebug has bitten Middle Codexia en masse!

Having a nice evening stroll in the thunderstorm and what do I see? SHIT ON FIRE. Tried to take screens what I could with print screen:
F2 takes screenshots and saves them in your minecraft data directory.

garren said:
So the real question is, since I'm wondering anyways, are we gonna do a server rollback
YES. Fuck you if you think I'm re-building all of that.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
lol no rollbacks, play by the rules of the game.
next time don't be a cheapskate with wood lololol

not only do lightning actually hit twice, and more, but it also puts all your shit on fire. hahahaha.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah cry moar DU. Also I wouldn't want to get the 700 or so blocks of raw wood and have to rebuild the mega tree trunk all over again.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Zed said:
lol no rollbacks, play by the rules of the game.
Hey guys, let's fill Zed's place with Lava and TNT.

Xor said:
minecraft2.jpg

This is actually kind of hilarious.
Yeah, looks like the fire came in over the bridge... I knew keeping contact with the mainland peasants was risky.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I'm afraid your reign of terror is at an end, and the land of Codexia is free once again. You'll have to go into exile and the castle ruins will be preserved as a dungeon for high-level parties.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Wow holy shit even DU's castle :shock:

I thought that shit was safe because it was surrounded by rock

But you know the codex style baby, IRONMAN all the way!

But hey even I learned something new from this chaos, always mark off your large wooden areas with wooden slabs so if one area catches fire it wont spread too far to other areas. Separate the wood to sections, since the slabs look like wood anyways. Of course building everything with slabs is too tiresome, but just some areas.

EDIT: Aaaand server is down.

garren

Arcane
Patron
You mean the slabs? That's not an exploit, just a way to make your wooden structures a bit more fireproof! Especially useful on multiplayer servers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom