Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Minigames in Alpha Protocol

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Is there any way to play the game by completely ignoring those? I've started the tutorial with field agent, didn't want to be all shoot em' up guy, but it seems there's no other way if the alternative is to try learning these retarded twitchy piece of shit wastes of time. I literally don't ever see those stupid passwords i'm supposed to click in 'hacking' and other minigames are plain tedious.
So, should i just go an kill em' all mode? Is that viable?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm sure I will get a lot of flak for this, but the minigames in AP are the best minigames ever created. Seriously. They fit the theme perfectly, they had simple mechancis, yet were challenging. The only negative is that the hacking minigame was sometimes frustrating playing with a mouse and keyboard, it was clearly designed with a controller in mind. On the other hand, the other two were much simpler with a mouse than with a controller.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
They are retarded and hacking i don't even got a clue how to solve those. I literally don't see the supposed passwords so it's a game stopper. They are surely developed for people, who are good at twitch gaming and i'm not one of those. Even if i were, i wouldn't waste the time if possible, because the ''challenge'' they present is basically pop a mole on the fastest setting.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They are retarded and hacking i don't even got a clue how to solve those. I literally don't see the supposed passwords so it's a game stopper. They are surely developed for people, who are good at twitch gaming and i'm not one of those.
It has nothing to do with twitch gaming. It is about being able to quickly notice patterns in a picture, which I understand that some people have problems with. Not everybody can be a superior human being like me. :smug:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I literally don't see the supposed passwords so it's a game stopper.

Sounds like you have some eyesight or neurological problem to me tbh and I'm not saying this as something derogatory.

Anyway, you should just stock up on EMPs to bypass the minigames, though keep in mind that iirc "main objective" haxxung can't be skipped with them.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Theres a couple o skills that mitigate em isn't there, after i'd got a few points in them I found games a lot easier.

You can use electric grenades as well if I remember right.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
They are retarded and hacking i don't even got a clue how to solve those. I literally don't see the supposed passwords so it's a game stopper. They are surely developed for people, who are good at twitch gaming and i'm not one of those.
It has nothing to do with twitch gaming. It is about being able to quickly notice patterns in a picture, which I understand that some people have problems with. Not everybody can be a superior human being like me. :smug:
Well, look. Not everybody can be autistic pattern recognitor, k. I get it. Why implement this shit in a game that is of different genre?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
The hacking is confusing at first, but unless you have a physical disability it shouldn't be hard.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
I never understood the complaining about the minigames. The hacking is confusing at first, but unless you have a physical disability it's not very hard.

Because it is based on your skill. Good hacking is in Deus Ex, Underrail because it is based on your chars skill. RPG duh!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The hacking is confusing at first, but unless you have a physical disability it shouldn't be hard.
The hardest hacks are barely doable without getting points into "make these things easier", though they're optional and that's what EMPs are for.

Additionally, playing AP on hard also increases the difficulty of minigames. Don't play on hard.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Is there any way to play the game by completely ignoring those? I've started the tutorial with field agent, didn't want to be all shoot em' up guy, but it seems there's no other way if the alternative is to try learning these retarded twitchy piece of shit wastes of time. I literally don't ever see those stupid passwords i'm supposed to click in 'hacking' and other minigames are plain tedious.
They are not twitchi, and considering even I physically disabled could play these minigames. (Not necessary shooting part of that, but I played ironman, so I tried to not let myself killed by jumping in the middle of enemies. I suggest to pause ironman if you go to fight with that old man with his Deus Vult ideas.)
Frankly, the ONLY problem with these minigames is they are designed for controller, and it would take a while to find what keys are used for second half.

Also, when you play rookie and think they would allow to go back in conversation, and say wait a minute, I actually need some training. They don't. You go to mission 2 level lower than otherwise. And that's harsh when you get certain mission as first. You know ironman... (Well, at least don't take SMG pistol/shotgun combination on that mission.)

Also rifles are OP, if you think it's too easy, don't use them. (If you roleplay agent, you don't want to abuse them anyway, because it will not be in correct style.)

Tigranes

Arcane
Get some EMPs, play a busting-doors type instead of a ghost-type, and you'll very rarely have to deal with minigames.

If you do play them, they're not particularly amazing, but they're very easy and simple.
  • Locks - there's a clear 'hang' moment when you get extra resistance, and your pick is pointing at the narrow strip around the middle of the lock.
  • Hacking - use WSAD on left hand and mouse on the right to move both 'cursors' simultaneously, don't try to read the letters but scan the screen to detect the letters that aren't moving. You can generally find at least one of them within 3 seconds.
The problem was that on release, AP had some retarded mouse acceleration fuckery going on, which caused probably the top 2 complaints with the game: (1) jerky camera, (2) impossible to do minigames because your cursor would fly around. That's mostly fixed, and you can also further adjust .ini files for it.

cloudropis

Educated
Go fast w/ wasd
Go slow w/ mouse
I swear this is the Capra Demon of AP, a complete non-issue that seems to bother everyone. It's not exactly Brood War.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Go fast w/ wasd
Go slow w/ mouse
I swear this is the Capra Demon of AP, a complete non-issue that seems to bother everyone. It's not exactly Brood War.

The problem with hacking was the retarded controls.

Duraframe300

Arcane
The hardest hacks are barely doable without getting points into "make these things easier", though they're optional and that's what EMPs are for.

Additionally, playing AP on hard also increases the difficulty of minigames. Don't play on hard.

Never had a problem even in the situation you describe. By training your eyes (which at that point you should have) you don't really need any time to locate the keywords. The only thing that doesn't make it pathetically easy are the bad controls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom