Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Notorious

Augur
Played it and it's another Mirrors Edge game. Parcouring is still fun, level design good, it maybe lacked the memorability of the last game (Train level, the one where you're in a circular room and you get shot from all sides) but they're alright. Story/Combat/Characters are still shit. Also it seems to be a prequel/soft reboot which is retarded.

Overall good for what it is and not worth 60 euro. Played with keyboard and the controls were OK they're obviously shit in combat but it's so easy that you won't have a problem anyway.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Pirated it when it came out, never finished it, bought it for five dollars a few days ago. Pretty disappointing that the open world means the game can't be played without boring runner's vision. There are too many time limit missions that require it. Should have stayed linear, god damn it. I'm gonna see if I can force it without runner's vision, but it's pretty dull looking for the route as the mission fails over and over.

All the people standing idly on roofs in high fashion are strange.

Graphically, it's annoying the textures can't load faster on newer hardware.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Okay, the courier missions are annoying sometimes, but not impossible without runner vision. Just wish your speed didn't slow down any time you check the map.

Pound Meat

Prophet
A shame because the first game was fun and the soundtrack was funky fresh, but that's modern gayming for you.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I think what I dislike most about this game is how clean, sleek and futuristic everything looks. It really is the city of glass now. The original struck a better balance between present and future. Things were still oversized, but it knew better when to look more practical and not so expensive for the city builders of that world.

Ezekiel

Arcane
It's stupid how many people shoot at Faith and she never picks up a gun. All those people who complained about using guns in the original are assholes. They should have improved the temporary weapon pick-ups/shooting, not eliminated it. Because, even if Faith is a pacifist, to not defend yourself properly, as if bullets will just bounce off you as in a video game, is retarded, and making them blue and electric doesn't excuse it.

I'm only partially paying attention, but this game seems to take some shots at capitalism, including the people she hangs out with now in the underground. I don't wanna hear that from the EA corporation.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Debra Wilson must be very happy with the black representation in new games, because they keep using her over and over in so many. Ironic.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Brother watched me play for a couple of minutes yesterday. He was disgusted by how long it took me to get to a location, how I had to pull up the map repeatedly to find out where I was going, all the wide spaces between building blocks that you have to go around. Usually, there's a bridge, sometimes a rappel point. At least one of those bridges on the map is a lie. He also brought his controller. First he was annoyed that he couldn't use both the left side of his controller and the mouse at the same time. I always tell him that I don't mind moving with WASD. But then he found out that this game has like the biggest dead zone ever, about 40 percent. You need to tilt the stick that far for her to begin moving. Referred me to a Reddit thread about it the next (this) morning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mirrorsedge/comments/5gczpr/mirrors_edge_catalyst_controller_deadzone/

Ezekiel

Arcane
Finished it. Apparently, almost nobody else did, looking at the achievements. Would have rather had a sequel to the original, where we found out what happened after the sister too became a fugitive.

They don't let her use guns, but she can kick people off skyscrapers.

I can't count the number of times I ran into windows. I would never wanna live in this invisible city. The overworld map design is so enormously stupid, more like something straight out of a shitty Mario game than the top of a city.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Anyone tried running the original on a newer machine? Everything looks super blurry for me. Have 3840x2160 selected in the game settings, yet it looks like sub-1080p.

Ezekiel

Arcane

The Russians have their uses. The free version of his mod seems to have limited activations, though. Playing at 4K now, but text still looks very low res, unable to scale. What I noticed immediately is how much better the first game looks. Reboot has no style. You can see the cars up close in the first level, unlike the reboot, where you're always really high up. And, yeah, as I remembered, it's a lot more dirty rather than just boring clean glass. Chase music sounds more like Run Lola Run, movie it's supposedly inspired by.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why are you playing this?
Gameplaywise, Catalyst is good
It polishes some of 1's "jank" and even not including the grappling hook, it adds a few new moves and platforms - making Faith's movement options more flexible
The main problem is really the open-world
It was an unnecessay addition and worse is the fact that's not truly taken advantage of
I also don't like the expansion to the combat system, but then again I already didn't like the fact that the 1st game sometimes forced you to engage in combat to progress - at least they removed the shitty shooting mechanics

Anyone tried running the original on a newer machine? Everything looks super blurry for me.
No problems whatsoever

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom