Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Augmentations. Run faster, jump farther, kickbox harder...

mastroego

Arcane
I absolutely love Mirror's Edge and finished the game up to 10 times or smth and on every available platform, yet I remain sceptical, I still fear the freerunning will be dumbed down in some way.

Also stealth, what's next, crafting?

Come on, no weapons, speed, agility...
Stealth isn't SO much of a stretch.
Still, skepticism is healthy, and I absolutely loathe that they changed the VA.

Well, the original is still there anyway.
In the Steam account I mean, I think I'll reinstall it come to think of it.

Inspectah

Savant
Looks like shit.
I can't really coment on the original Mirror's Edge though, tried playing it but had to stop to puke every 5 minutes

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I absolutely love Mirror's Edge and finished the game up to 10 times or smth and on every available platform, yet I remain sceptical, I still fear the freerunning will be dumbed down in some way.

Also stealth, what's next, crafting?
Given what runners are and how they work, stealth makes more sense than shooting but that was actually in the first game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm just worried the actual missions will be super linear corridory with mandatory slow sections. Speed was what I liked in the first game. also, the jumps look a lot more forgiving in the videos they showed so far, with plenty of stuff to grab if you mistime them.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Wasn't it claimed to be open world (or open town), so you can choose your own way to the destination? Through I guess some parts - such as the skyscraper - are limited in freedom...

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
True of course, but I loved the constant fast gameplay and think that's what the game should be all about
The original had a number of slower sections where you had to use your eyes and brain to find the path onwards, where the "runner vision" would just highlight some vent opening by the ceiling and let you figure out how to get there. Those made for a nice occasional change of pace, and is what I'm most worried they'll remove to make the game "more accessible".

mastroego

Arcane
Yeah, exactly, great bits those.
You ran and ran with the guards breathing down your neck and finally would enter some obscure, deserted technical room where you could feel temporarily safe and take your time to find a way out.

Ok, darn it, definitely reinstalling it now.
Should have time to play it next week...

pippin

If stealth means they aren't going to force me to fight, then I welcome this change. But I'm curious to see how they implement that, since you are making noise constantly.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Stealth? The game was a big parkour race. How would stealth factor in when you're jumping across rooftops and swinging from the ceiling?

Athelas

Arcane
Stealth? The game was a big parkour race. How would stealth factor in when you're jumping across rooftops and swinging from the ceiling?
You mean why the enemy A.I. would remain oblivious to your presence when your method of traversal is anything but stealthy?

Because that would make it like most other stealth games on the market.

mastroego

Arcane
The Gods are my witnesses that I wanted to stay positive, but... a STORY "trailer"?
Can't they just make a good game with a good story without, you know, overdoing it and overselling it?

So this is going to be the n-th pretentious re-interpretation that completely misses the point of the original material, after all?
:?

pippin

Problem is ME1 didn't had a story. Yeah, I know there were cutscenes here and there, but nothing was really explained. There was supposed to be an oppresive government and shit, but the cities were clean, there was evidence of good employment numbers, public transport worked ok, etc. For all I know, you could have been delivering bombs for ISIS.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mirror's Edge is now a parkour and whiny overprotective boyfriend relationship simulator

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
From the trailer there doesn't seem to be any more/better story than in the first one. But they've added a bunch of characters arguing over bullshit to create "drama" :decline:

But what I really want to know is how much they've dumbed down the actual gameplay. Will this be fun to play, requiring reflexes, observation and thinking, or will it be call of duty on rooftops?

Lemming42

Arcane
Weird of them to focus on the story when that's what most people (everyone?) thought to be the weakest aspect of the first game.

As long as they make some fun and creative levels on par with the first game then it'll still be a :d1p:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom