Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Misguided opinions you had about RPGs when you were young

curds

Magister
Post stupid ideas you had about RPGs as a kid. Could also just be a "how has your taste changed" thread.

What got me thinking about it was this:

My first exposure to RPGs was either Diablo II, Bard's Tale "re-imagining" from 2004 on PS2, or watching some older family friends play BG: Dark Alliance; can't remember which came first. Anyway, this somehow gave me the impression that turn-based combat was strictly the realm of JRPGs, which I already knew I didn't like even at that formative time, and so for a long while I avoided turn-based RPGs. I was even sceptical when a friend showed me NWN, because even though it's real time, the combatants still sort of take "turns" attacking. Thankfully I eventually found Fallout 1 which showed me the error of my ways.

Anyway, discuss!!

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I thought RPGs were made for idiots who only enjoy them for the dopamine boosts caused by all the grind and phat loot. And I was kind of right, as many only enjoy them for that kind of experience, but fuck them.

Farewell young Prince into the night

I used to think Oblivion's character models looked photorealistic.

ApprehensiveHardtofindDeinonychus-poster.jpg

curds

Magister
I thought RPGs were made for idiots who only enjoy them for the dopamine boosts caused by all the grind and phat loot. And I was kind of right, as many only enjoy them for that kind of experience, but fuck them.
To be honest this sounds like me. Not so much grinding, but character advancement and acquiring equipment upgrades is the most fun part of RPGs for me.

I used to think Oblivion's character models looked photorealistic.
Me too, in a way. At least I never noticed how bad they were until somebody else pointed it out to me.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Being new to RPGs for Final Fantasy 8 and only dipping in occasionally when New Vegas hit:

"This card game will never get old."

Beastro

Arcane
Railroading, hyper linear and cut scene heavy storylines in JRPGs like Final Fantasy I defended as being like an interactive story speaking as if that was a good thing back in the 90s.

mondblut

Arcane
As a kid I had a stupid idea that RPGs are all about story and "role-playing". And that MMORPGs will usher a bright new age. Hah!

I thought that the addition of multiplayer modes a generally good, and benign at worst. NWN1 stands out as an exception to the rule, but it was designed primarily for multiplayer. The feature just ended up poisoning the water for everything else.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I thought that crpgs based on Dungeon & Dragons are unnecessarily convoluted.
"Armor class" sounds like a stat that defines your protection against attacks, but why the fuck the lower AC the better? THAC0 might as well be called "Accuracy" instead of some weird THACO. Also, the lower your THACO the better? But at the same time weapons have "+2 to THAC0" in description. "Saving throws" instead of % resistances, "2D6" instead of 2-12. I mean, it's a computer adaptation, why do we need all these tabletop atavisms?

hexer

I thought late 90s-early 2000s era would last forever and by the time I get old,
I'll have hundreds of legendary RPGs to reminiscent about with my friends in RL or online

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In my younger years, after BG, Planescape and KOTORs I used to believe that lot of text makes a good RPG - it means lot of stories, characters to meet and quest to do. I was still forgiving at the time PoE was released.
Now I am more than ever believe that "Brevity is the soul of wit" (in games, literature is another animal altogether) and walls of text that could be easily crammed into one short sentence without any loss in substance trigger me greatly.

I also used to play snarky characters and enjoyed corresponding options in dialogue. But now after seeing 3-5 different flavors of snark in my list of possible replies, and nothing else, I just want to hit someone.

curds

Magister
In my younger years, after BG, Planescape and KOTORs I used to believe that lot of text makes a good RPG - it means lot of stories, characters to meet and quest to do. I was still forgiving at the time PoE was released.
Now I am more than ever believe that "Brevity is the soul of wit" (in games, literature is another animal altogether) and walls of text that could be easily crammed into one short sentence without any loss in substance trigger me greatly.
It bugs me when companies advertise their massive word counts. If the writing was any fuckin good it'd be concise and to the point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom