Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Miss" icon in an RPG

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I'm localizing Legends of Amberland and I have a problem with "Miss" icon. I need to show it using some sort of icon... Dunno how.

Those are the possible situations in combat:
- A) When you hit a monster you get a number showing the amount of damage dealt (like "84")
- B) When you hit a monster but monster's armor absorbed all damage it shows "0"
- C) When you miss a monster it shows "Missed" (which is too long in some languages and need to be represented some other way)

So, how do I represent C) using some icon? I was thinking of a shield icon (but that's confusing since Shields in the game provide armor points and have nothing to do with Evade chance) or two crossed swords, as in "parry" (but two crossed swords give an impression of an offensive action, not a failed hit)... Dunno...

Feel free to provide non orthodox solutions if there ois no other option (still, something sane and normal is preffered) :)
Feel free to provide examples (with screens when possible) how other games solved this.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
obviously as an icon, maybe a target with 2 or 3 arrows not hitting

missed-target-Jumbo2010-Adobe-650.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You could assume that MISS is a universally recognized word and keep it in English in all languages. Or not show anything at all. Most games supplement this with a "whoosh" sound effect so people would probably understand what happened.

Maybe an icon of a stick figure dodging a blow?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You could assume that MISS is a universally recognized word and keep it in English in all languages.

7e7.jpg

People would complain :D

And rightly so.

When you miss a monster it shows "Missed" (which is too long in some languages and need to be represented some other way)

Sounds like INFERIOR TRANSLATORS to me.

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
How about moving the targeted character left or right some pixels in a simple animation, indicating some dodging movement from the character.
Perhaps a little harmful for eyes after a while, i might test it myself :)

Codex Year of the Donut
TBH if you can read the language a game was originally made for you should play it in that. There's a good chance the translation team will end up butchering a lot of things especially idioms, jokes, etc., Not to mention the recent thing with translation teams taking it upon themselves to censor other people's works.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Something like this. Get an artist to draw you an icon, I can't draw.

fd70804bb3c7c25ab6d27dcb87a79fa8.png

(it's a sword swooshing and missing a guy)

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
I'm localizing Legends of Amberland and I have a problem with "Miss" icon. I need to show it using some sort of icon...
You don't. In general icons nor numbers don't belong in the world view. They belong in the combat log if you have any.
Icons are permissible for status effects if there is no good way of showing the status in question, but miss is not a status.

You can depict miss/dodge, hit for no damage and damaging hit visually even with very primitive graphics.
  • Hit - blood splash effect (might have several ones for different enemy types, like skellies) scaling with damage dealt (Lands of Lore style).
  • Hit, no damage - sparks like effect. Might scale with damage absorbed.
  • Miss - have dodge anim, at its simplest it's moving the sprite out of the way and back.
Sounds can also help (fleshy/crunchy hit - damage, metallic hit - no damage, swish - miss).

Apart from that...

KO6YfEp.png

...you're welcome.

Norfleet

The method I've used before doesn't need any icons, but simply displays a "-" for a miss, an "X" for an active block such as a parry or point defense, and "0" for failure to pen. That works in with your floaty number display and requires no icons.

Norfleet

I liked having separate symbols for Miss vs. Blocked vs. Failure to Pen because it provided more information in a single symbol. Getting a "-" for a miss indicates your accuracy was bad, getting an "X" for a failure to hit because of active defenses tells you that you need to counter that, getting a "0" for hitting and yet doing no damage indicates you need to adjust your damage/penetration.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As DraQ said, why even have an icon?

A simple "swish" sound and the absence of a blood splatter on the enemy sprite should be enough.

J1M

Arcane
You shouldn't introduce an icon if no other combat rolls result in an icon.

From a game design perspective, I would say that missing is better represented by the opponent succeeding at something than the character failing. I would not design an RPG where a character could "miss" (although I guess I would entertain a "critical miss" rule). Instead, I would represent that as the opponent performing an "evade", "dodge", "parry", or "block".

In this case, since it sounds like you are just localizing an existing game I would echo the suggestion of using another character that means "nothing". No need to get more complicated than the use of "-", which was suggested above.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom