Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MMOs died out?

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
Haven't heard about any interesting mmo project in some time

justincz

Scholar
possibly because the market is saturated, how many would you need? its not like graphics are getting a boost either when you need smooth network with a hundered players in the same instance.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Additionally the skinner box like experience MMO used to give (farm something, kill something stronger, get stronger equip, kill something stronger) have now direct competition in a lot of mobile games and mobile MMO. It cause even casual F2P MMO market to be a bit hard to be in as well.

opener

Literate
I think that MMO is not dying. It is just less popular than before because life is faster than before and people do not have as much time as before to play in it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, it definitely isn't dying. I'd say it is shrinking, and maybe healthily so.
It just isn't "the shit" anymore (which has shifted to survival and battle royale stuff), so the perception of it has reduced a lot, a lot less attention. And some people are only interested in playing "the shit", so those switched to whatever is currently trendy.

Thus, the player base is shrinking.
But I just don't see it coming that in a few years there will be no more played, stable MMOs around.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No. They're being MURDERED!

:o

There are so many mmo's out there I don't think anyone is asking for more. And developers don't want to take the risk.
There was this kung fu chinese action mmo a couple of years ago. I wonder how it's doing.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Judging by the sheer amount of trash-tier MMOs that coast by on horrible microtransaction schemes, the genre seems to be doing fine.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There are new MMOs coming out all the time, but unlike during the golden age of WoW, there isn't a large group of MMO hoppers anymore hyping up each new release. People seem to be happy in their own corner now. The most exciting new MMO I have on my radar for now is Project Gorgon which is made by a husband-wife team of ex-Asheron's Call devs. It's currently on Steam in early access and should be released sometime this year (last I checked). Everyone who has played the game seems to be pretty into it, but I'll just wait for the full release.

Kerchooo

Barely Literate
Most of the new MMOs are boring indeed. They have decent graphics and sometimes even nice, unseen ideas, but it drowns in monotony pretty quick.

ortucis

Prophet
Every MMO game is the same.

Bunch of men standing around pretending to be women for ERP (with other men), spending real money on textures to change their look. Most would stick to games like WOW, no point in buying same thing over and over again since all MMO's usually look the same (cartoon style shit visuals) and play the same.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
People have finally found out that they're basically single player games with other people running in the background, and with an insane amount of grinding.

laclongquan

Arcane
The next step of evolution
1. The virtual reality codings need to get good enough to run 3D MMORPG.
2. The toolbox need to be advanced enough so modders can make custom models on their own fast enough.
3. Remake golden games.
4. Profit.

Argronok

Literate
I wish alot of these MMORPGs had single player equivilants.

I give anything for a Single player version of EQ, WOW, SWTOR, DCUO, LOTR, ESO, and especially the Final Fantasy MMOs.

Without the skinner box gameplay thank you.

deama

Prophet
No. They're being MURDERED!

:o

There are so many mmo's out there I don't think anyone is asking for more. And developers don't want to take the risk.
There was this kung fu chinese action mmo a couple of years ago. I wonder how it's doing.
Age of wushu? Yeah, it's dead. I think it's been dead for a while now actually...

I wish alot of these MMORPGs had single player equivilants.

I give anything for a Single player version of EQ, WOW, SWTOR, DCUO, LOTR, ESO, and especially the Final Fantasy MMOs.

Without the skinner box gameplay thank you.
I'd really like a single player SWTOR because then I could speedhack it.

ortucis

Prophet
Age of wushu? Yeah, it's dead. I think it's been dead for a while now actually...
I meant Blade & Soul.

Blade & Soul is fucking terrible. Only thing that stands out is the character models. The storyline is worse than Guild Wars 2. And yes, that is possible.

There are still some people playing, I played it for like a week before I uninstalled. Also, one of THE worst installers, ever.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Most MMOs are dogshit. Long are we gone from the fond days of Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot.

WoW is awful, it's so bad. Oh my God, it's so horrible. The big challenge of WoW is to try and remain in green/blue quality gear. You can't. The game insists you're the best ever and will shower you in purple riches.

FF14, well it's Final Fantasy and the last time a Final Fantasy game was good it was because it took Tactics Ogre people to elevate it. I never played FF14 to be honest with you but I know I'd hate it. The character models are that typical gay anime trash and the gameplay has so many particle effects going on I feel like I'm 11 years old in Disney World's The Magic Kingdom watching the fireworks display again.

GW2, hooo hooo boy, if you could give "bland" a face then you'd slap the GW2 logo on it. This game is so fucking boring I actually have to credit it because it made so many other games look like gold. When your game makes my brain want to play Bust-A-Move for the Neo Geo arcade because your mind is so numb that it is now projecting random thoughts forward, you know that it's a special type of trash. It's actually a game i recommend you play because of how bored you'll be. This is the motherload, the grand daddy of waiting rooms.

Black Desert Online. Another awful Asian anime festival only this time you can do fighting game combos. You know, that's what you always wanted to do right? Fighting game combos in your MMORPGs. You know, somehow I get this strange idea that because MMORPGs were the unclaimed successor to MUDs which itself were inspired heavily from tabletops, the originators of MMOs never thought about putting fighting game combos in because that would be retarded.

Elder Scrolls Online. This is probably the least offensive one and actually enjoyable to a degree. In fact, I think it's a better Elder Scrolls game than Oblivion/Skyrim. That's not a grand accomplishment, but if you're ever in a Jigsaw type torture scenario where you must choose your poison of an Elder Scrolls title post-Morrowind, go with this one.

But generally, they all want to bring in the ADHD minded hypemonsters that are in one week and out the next. That's why MMOs suck today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom