Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MMOs died out?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
depends on the MMO. When I logged on SWTOR this weekend there was a few players

Brujoloco

Educated
the appeal of a shared world you can explore solo is really underestimated

Wonder if this idea has already been explored by any mmo out there? Somethign built specifically for a huge world to explore that you can traverse solo but sometimes , but not for necessity, can be enjoyed with others?

Like a big exploration theme park full of hidden wonders, treasures, puzzles and unseen vistas you can visit but you are simply alone in it, yet at a small touch of a button you can share and venture with friends or random people?

I remember once somebody told me about a weird game on console where people could not talk, but only express themselves in symbols and was more or less like this... hmmm

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Wonder if this idea has already been explored by any mmo out there? Somethign built specifically for a huge world to explore that you can traverse solo but sometimes , but not for necessity, can be enjoyed with others?

Like a big exploration theme park full of hidden wonders, treasures, puzzles and unseen vistas you can visit but you are simply alone in it, yet at a small touch of a button you can share and venture with friends or random people?

I remember once somebody told me about a weird game on console where people could not talk, but only express themselves in symbols and was more or less like this... hmmm

Maybe a bit like Guild Wars? From what I remember all content outside of cities was instanced and you didn't had to group up with other players

Brujoloco

Educated
Maybe a bit like Guild Wars? From what I remember all content outside of cities was instanced and you didn't had to group up with other players

Hmmm, I played 1 a bit and must sadly confess I played a ton 2 as well and they still felt heavily populated in some instances and like a traditional mmo in others.

But have to concede the point guild wars had something unique back in the day in that regard yep.

Codex Year of the Donut

There's not really a good term for it, but I refer to them as "lobby-based games". Online games where most content can be done solo but you can coop at any time.

Diablo 2 was one of the earliest. More modern ones are games like Warframe.
Typically don't have a "big world" to explore but are designed around missions. In-between you return to a hub(the lobby.)

Other examples are guild wars, DDO, and destiny 2.

laclongquan

Arcane

There's not really a good term for it, but I refer to them as "lobby-based games". Online games where most content can be done solo but you can coop at any time.

Typically don't have a "big world" to explore but are designed around missions. In-between you return to a hub(the lobby.)

OR sound like Dark Souls in some aspect~

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

OR sound like Dark Souls in some aspect~
If Dark Souls is better without friends, then does that mean lobby MMOs are too?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I guess those shoot/construct/destroy/harvest/survive games like fortnite aren't mmorpgs but are there any in that sort of vein? Guilds constructing fortresses and being besieged or sieging sounds interesting as does raiding towns.

So what happened to Westhaven?

Oh, it was cleaned out a week ago then raided for assets. It is just a greasy spot on the main road now days.

Codex Year of the Donut
the absolute dumbest argument for when people say new video games are trash is "WELL SO WERE THE OLD ONES!" as if those still don't fucking exist and we can't just go test that theory out

there's a reason oldschool runescape and WoW classic are two of the most popular MMOs right now.

Codex Year of the Donut
I always felt that calling it that was a bit weird tbh.

Apparently they don't even host classic servers anymore. It's infuriating that old MMOs shut down like that and wipe away history. It barely costs anything to keep those servers running in maintenance mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom