Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MMOs died out?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ultima Online is still around as is
Everquest. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

No, some shambling zombie called UO is still around. UO died when Renaissance came out and Age of Shadows put it in the grave. AoS finally changed it into a shitty Diablo clone, but hey at least it finally got necromancy.

Everquest "died" when Luclin came out, but it's a very lively corpse.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
That went away when UO:R came out, there's two "moons" so almost the entirety of the landmass is mirrored, one is pvp the other is non-pvp, but I have no idea how accessible it is now, last time I played was when they introduced gargoyles and elves as playable races and runecasting. The game has changed a lot even from then. They've added some weird ship DLC and asian mythos to make the japs happy and a lot of other stuff. I'm not sure how the skill grind would be now either, I guess they did away with the "power hour" mechanic.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Most MMOs are dogshit. Long are we gone from the fond days of Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot.

WoW is awful, it's so bad. Oh my God, it's so horrible. The big challenge of WoW is to try and remain in green/blue quality gear. You can't. The game insists you're the best ever and will shower you in purple riches.

FF14, well it's Final Fantasy and the last time a Final Fantasy game was good it was because it took Tactics Ogre people to elevate it. I never played FF14 to be honest with you but I know I'd hate it. The character models are that typical gay anime trash and the gameplay has so many particle effects going on I feel like I'm 11 years old in Disney World's The Magic Kingdom watching the fireworks display again.

GW2, hooo hooo boy, if you could give "bland" a face then you'd slap the GW2 logo on it. This game is so fucking boring I actually have to credit it because it made so many other games look like gold. When your game makes my brain want to play Bust-A-Move for the Neo Geo arcade because your mind is so numb that it is now projecting random thoughts forward, you know that it's a special type of trash. It's actually a game i recommend you play because of how bored you'll be. This is the motherload, the grand daddy of waiting rooms.

Black Desert Online. Another awful Asian anime festival only this time you can do fighting game combos. You know, that's what you always wanted to do right? Fighting game combos in your MMORPGs. You know, somehow I get this strange idea that because MMORPGs were the unclaimed successor to MUDs which itself were inspired heavily from tabletops, the originators of MMOs never thought about putting fighting game combos in because that would be retarded.

Elder Scrolls Online. This is probably the least offensive one and actually enjoyable to a degree. In fact, I think it's a better Elder Scrolls game than Oblivion/Skyrim. That's not a grand accomplishment, but if you're ever in a Jigsaw type torture scenario where you must choose your poison of an Elder Scrolls title post-Morrowind, go with this one.

But generally, they all want to bring in the ADHD minded hypemonsters that are in one week and out the next. That's why MMOs suck today.

That post and that name, tell me you played Vanguard?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
so it's just some shitty smartphone MMO now?

Basically yes, I don't think anything substantial has come out in over the 11-12 years from the last time I played and even then it was some freak Diablo clone. It seems to be more about collectibles and events than anything else anymore. Anyone who wasn't there for pre-UO:R missed the actual game.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Nah, after DAoC and WoW from 2005-2009ish the only other MMORPG in that time period I played was Age of Conan.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Nah, after DAoC and WoW from 2005-2009ish the only other MMORPG in that time period I played was Age of Conan.
It was amazing and there were some amazing spider dungeons. Serious business spiders, bigger than a man and working in groups. p.s. there is also another old little MMO that lets you play as a spider.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It was just this:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/minions-of-mirth.128896/
Several of the enemies would unlock a special class if you killed them, and it had a hotbar with the same abilities the creature had. I tried the bear and the spider and the dragon, you could fly for realsies with the last one, and it was fast and had good spells. I still play it sometimes cuz my weak laptop can play it.

I really miss Vanguard :( You can play it on an emulator and go to that spider dungeon but the combat is what made it all worthwhile, and that is gonna take them years.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It was a total mess no doubt, but it still had the best classes in any game ever, and some of the best dungeons by miles. Shame there was so much filler and so many problems.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Many people wanted multiplayer games and a MMO-like play for ages. I don't see it dying even if most just shrivel up or mutate or change ownership.

I don't recall pro/cons list for MMOs.
I haven't read the wants people want in MMOs or any online game.

I recall the first time in same house family had some serial ports to play multiplayer. It was doom then diablo, diablo II, then heroes of might & magic III (I think). There may have been others but the computers were grossly mismatched as one was far older than the other.

First MMOs or online was MUDs, forums similar to PBM gaming, PBEM gaming then simple java based rpgs like Wyvern then Dransik, Euo, and then "free" jap genre like PWI, Aion. Throw in some other junk ones like Angels online, mega shit like League of Angels, and later some other fillers. Some played better than others, some were more free world than others and some were early in their developement. I've certainly NOT milked the mmo moo cow. I also feel pretty meh towards a lot of gaming lately anyways.

I look good music
I like a good story
I like dynamic NPCs than just clickbots
I like graphical background as i like taking picstures

The adventures themselves devolve into meh usually. The levelling in lvl, stats, skills, gear becomes a chore with little variance. And economy is surely just a joke and these games turn into hoarding. Maybe if you career play and sell shit for real $$$ like I've witnessed on the youtube it makes it worthwhile.

Its been a while since i was genuinely thrilled in a game. Maybe the genre bores me or theme. Am i a minigame or sidequest player over just grinding the fuck out of a what seems-to-be 9:5 job?

Do i prefer pve/pvm?
Do I prefer pvp that doesn't rape your shit away?
Merciless PVP where victor gets the spoils (bye gear & loot)
PVM m/Pvp where death penelizes your xp, skills, etc.
PD player death where new character becomes the daily grind?
PVP PD gladitorial where i'll probably just quit (esp in the case of campers)?

I think i'm falling into the bystander category of just watching others.

What is the best MMORPG genre type and/or Setting?

Fuck... a tl:dr.

Norfleet

And economy is surely just a joke and these games turn into hoarding.
All economies turn into hoarding. What else would you do with all your hard-earned stuff except hoard it? If you wanted your stuff to belong to someone else, why would you have bothered getting it in the first place? If you don't want to hoard things, become an ascetic monk and swear off material possessions. It'll save you a lot of hassle getting the things you won't end up having in the first place.

Caim

Arcane
Maybe VR will breath new life into the genre (if VR ever takes off).
The fitness level of your average MMO player does not stack up to how long you need to grind in your average MMO.

Unless we're talking about something like EVE Online of course, where the VR will be massively useful for the massive number of spreadsheets you'll be managing.

PapaPetro

The fitness level of your average MMO player does not stack up to how long you need to grind in your average MMO.

Unless we're talking about something like EVE Online of course, where the VR will be massively useful for the massive number of spreadsheets you'll be managing.
I imagine it'll incline more RP/socializing than grinding.
On the bright side, it'll be hard to bot (then again, botters eventually find a way).

Caim

Arcane

I imagine it'll incline more RP/socializing than grinding.
On the bright side, it'll be hard to bot (then again, botters eventually find a way).
Imagine the ERPing in Goldshire but instead it's in VR.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I thought about VR MMOs. I think running would be no good, but riding a horse or magic carpet or something would be great. I always wished the travel in MMOs was more fun. My first experience of it was a Bard in EQ which is the only class that can use magic while running. And you can run insanely fast, even die by flying off a mountain you didn't notice until too late. So going into some modern MMO where you are trudging around at 1mph... it feels insanely slow to me. WoW isn't bad because of the flying mounts. I think that should be a standard and it should be fast.

kreight

I thought about VR MMOs. I think running would be no good, but riding a horse or magic carpet or something would be great. I always wished the travel in MMOs was more fun. My first experience of it was a Bard in EQ which is the only class that can use magic while running. And you can run insanely fast, even die by flying off a mountain you didn't notice until too late. So going into some modern MMO where you are trudging around at 1mph... it feels insanely slow to me. WoW isn't bad because of the flying mounts. I think that should be a standard and it should be fast.
VR and MMOs are not compatible. Massive multiplayer doesn't go well with very expensive additional hardware which very few people are able and willing to purchase. You wanna make MMO make it accessible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom