Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline MobyGames - Bought out and turned back to normal

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Hmmm, apart from the screenshots section being fubared and the game lists being a bit harder to navigate (no thumbnails), I don't think it's that vomit-worthy, seems like it's a matter of getting used to it. But yeah, the old design was better.
Wut. Try doing a search by year and plataform on this new layout. Shit sucks big time.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, why just click when you can click, scroll 2 screens, click again and repeat? It's improved. Now they only need tabs within tabs to be completely user friendly.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Yeah, why just click when you can click, scroll 2 screens, click again and repeat? It's improved. Now they only need tabs within tabs to be completely user friendly.

Clicking and expanding stuff is fun on a tablet, you want to do it as much as you can. Not that I knew, but by now I can quite imagine such "WOW ITS STAR TREK" attitude.

Funny, the archived wayback machine version is considerably faster. Never seen this happen before. Current MG actually never finishes loading a page for me, its browser tab indicates loading indifinitely.

According to their forums, they got bought a few years ago, and most people happily continued contributing despite total silence from the administration.
Looks like another "use the name, ditch the rest" corporate move. Soon there will be an online gaming shop called MobyGames, which happens to contain huge database that was built by fans for free. Maybe the redesign is actually a plot to finally ditch the userbase before the final transformation?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't think that shit even works on tablet browsers. At least I always had problems with pop-up and expanding menus in the browsers I used on my tablet.

Turjan

Arcane
Funny, the archived wayback machine version is considerably faster.
Heh, I noticed the same thing. It's really weird. But they are probably still ironing out the kinks. Just remember how long that took with the Codex.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The new design of MobyGames is horrible, what the hell were they thinking?

Just tried to view a modern game's gallery. No way to view screenshots at a decent size, unless they're opened separately. Galleries still slower than youtube videos for me, wonder how much it'll take them to fix that.

I know I'm repeating myself, but how could those who implemented the design look at it and think, "yes, much better than before"? Is it really just a matter of aesthetics? Not that the new look is anything more than generic.

Morkar Left

After the initial schock I have to say the only things that are annoying me is the white background (my eyes!) and the use of javascript for the screenshots. Navigation is easy and all in all it looks more tidy to me.

I hope Dfend can still search and take the data from the new design.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Yeah, multiple entries for a single title suck. Whined a while back on their forums along with a few others.

But the database is incredible. I hope someone manages to preserve (at least a part of) it for the community to continue on their own.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I hear the design is part of a deal with some company that might involve digital distribution : forget it, Mobygames is dead. How well is it archived on archive.org ?

:Flash:

Arcane
I hear the design is part of a deal with some company that might involve digital distribution : forget it, Mobygames is dead. How well is it archived on archive.org ?
It's not a deal with some company, the company owns MobyGames lock, stock and barrel.
I never understood people who contributed to MobyGames. In contrast to Wikipedia it was never a foundation, it was a privately owned website, and it was always clear to me that the founders would cash in once the gullible internet folks had done enough free work for them and made the site the No. 1 gaming resource on the web.
Which they promptly did - they sold to GameFly for an undisclosed sum. GameFly is now trying to turn it into a cash cow - which is why you now have things like displaying only 15 games per page. The need to click "next" increases page hits and thus advertising income.

Boleskine

Arcane
No sir, I don't like it.

Old version was better, but like most sites these days MobyGames has...been...TABLETIZED.

A user named cat

Mobygames vs Flickr: which revamp is worse? A battle for the ages.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was pretty fucking furious about this when it happened, but eh. GameFly was bound to have a negative influence on the site eventually, the muck has just finally risen to the surface. Oh well, MobyGames joins the mass grave with HotU and co.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom