Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Modern gaming is shit ...

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I browse Steam's new releases and I feel nothing. It's like gazing into the Abyss.

I'm stuck playing Cs:Go, Dark Souls, Underrail and watching Elajjaz playing Gothic on twitch.

Is this the end?

/vent

Mortmal

Arcane

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm currently playing a game released just over a year ago and it's fucking awesome incline: Pathfinder Kingmaker.

If you can't find new shit to play nowadays, with the metric ton of constant and varied releases from all levels of game development, it says way more about you than it does the state of gaming.

Terenty

Liturgist
Have you played Rain World?

Give it a try, its a hardcore survival/stealth/platforming/adventure/simulation game with, imho, the best AI and emergent, systems driven gameplay yet. The art style is superb as well

Its one of the best games i've ilayed and i feel obliged to promote it every way i can

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm currently playing a game released just over a year ago and it's fucking awesome incline: Pathfinder Kingmaker.

If you can't find new shit to play nowadays, with the metric ton of constant and varied releases from all levels of game development, it says way more about you than it does the state of gaming.

Red Panda was actually right. Maybe I'm not in a good mood.

However I remember how before 2018 I was looking forward to Ghost of a Tale, Hyper Light Drifter and Insomnia: The Ark. I had something to look forward.

Now, I have nothing really special to look forward: Cyberpunk will be SJW infested, Baldur's Gate 3 and Bloodlines 2 are bad jokes ... I have over 90 indies on my Steam wishlist. After each release I check reviews/twitch and I simply delete them. The last ones were Curse of the Dead Gods and Longing.

I need something with meat on its bones. Something immersive like SS2, Thief or Gothic. Something created with love by people with brains and hearts. I cannot believe saying this but I miss Dishonored and Prey. As unfulfilling as they were, they had potential and they could have been great with some additional effort.

Also I need to be honest, I somewhat look forward to Elden Rings, Nioh 2, Dying Light 2 and Mount & Blade 2. But neither one of these games will provide the shit I'm craving for. It's like the entire industry went retarded and there are no games marketed towards a more mature audience.

I have 244 hours in Pathfinder Kingmaker but I always give up around Pitax. I did not play a good game since Sekiro. The dry spell is almost one year for me at this point. I really need a good game. That's all.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Have you played Rain World?

Give it a try, its a hardcore survival/stealth/platforming/adventure/simulation game with, imho, the best AI and emergent, systems driven gameplay yet. The art style is superb as well

Its one of the best games i've ilayed and i feel obliged to promote it every way i can

I already own it but I cannot play it because the controls are for pads.

But I will give it another chance.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Red Panda was actually right. Maybe I'm not in a good mood.

However I remember how before 2018 I was looking forward to Ghost of a Tale, Hyper Light Drifter and Insomnia: The Ark. I had something to look forward.

Now, I have nothing really special to look forward: Cyberpunk will be SJW infested, Baldur's Gate 3 and Bloodlines 2 are bad jokes ... I have over 90 indies on my Steam wishlist. After each release I check reviews/twitch and I simply delete them. The last ones were Curse of the Dead Gods and Longing.

If you're letting the "SJW" stuff decide what you're excited about that might be a big part of it. It's like Hollywood, most of the actors and creators are retard cult members, but if I let that stop me I'd never watch movies. I don't really let it get to me, and am very hopeful for those games. Same for BG3 not looking like an Infinity Engine game, all I really care about is if the game is good. In other words it sounds like you're more talking about stuff around the games, not the games themselves.

We're all different people though, if that's your priority then hey, none of my business.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I've been playing Hollow Knight, which has a really, really strong aesthetic and a fairly deep and mysterious setting and story, which is told sparsely. It also has a lot of exploration and some inventory/equipment stuff, so it has most of what I want from an rpg, though it's a metroidvania.

Terenty

Liturgist
Also Death Stranding will be out in june on PC. A rather unique gameplay and multiplayer implementation

Generic-Giant-Spider

I hate playing a game that could have been so much better but it was made by a group of morons like For Honor.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Apart from the vast majority of developers being amateurs, games these days are built with the same same engines and all look the fucking same. I can't even keep many games apart because there are multiple games that are basically the same, look the same, only developed by different people.

Everyone who has some experience with compiling the sample apps in programming kits knows what's going on. Young, inexperienced developers keep pretending that sample apps are a genuine achievement, which they are not. Eventually 17 other people discover the same sample app and hence everything looks the same.

That's why even ordinary gamers got excited about MSFS 2020, because even if the genre does not interest them in the slightest they get at least a modicum of novelty.

In the beginning years of gaming there was something impressive every months, gaming wise this has become a most depressing time.

Vatnik Wumao
There's only so much innovation to be had in the technical department once the industry fully develops. Main issue nowadays is the lack of creativity and talent on the developers' part.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
when I got my new laptop i ended up playing the same games i was playing before i took a break anyway, games some of which are literally over a decade old. I had the same problem, looking at the steam page during the christmas/new year sales and there was just nothing that convinced me i should spend money on it, even with massive discounts.

Possibly its just because I'm getting older, and when my son is born i will be ditching gaming completely because frankly when you become a father its time to put childish things away completely, without reserve (watch spergs flip out at this sentiment), but I really do feel some of it is just a loss in quality and design passion overall. The industry is over commercialized. Its modelled itself after the film industry and has taken on the exact same creative vs corporate problems.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Let's see what my recently played games are by age -

1998 - Spyro the Dragon
1999 Age of Wonders
2003 Age of Wonders 2 SM
2015 Underrail
2012 DotA2
2017 Hollow Knight
2017 Dominions 5
2004 Blades of Avernum

So on average the games I play are released 12 years ago.

Squid

Arbiter
Maybe you're done with it in general. I'll admit, there's not like a plethora of 10/10 games being advertised but there's good games out there still.

Are there not older games you have interest in anymore? Never played but meant to? Try something new? If I see two or so releases a year that I'm genuinely looking forward to, then I'm satisfied enough to be honest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom