Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mods that balance out Arcanum

Goblino

Savant
Thanks to somebody helping me to get Arcanum working smoothly, I can now play for extended periods of time. My most recent attempt at a character ended up destroying his clothes with an ultra miss and then I wasted all of my bullets on some zombies under P Schuylers. Went to spend every last gold I had on a whopping 40 more bullets, killed 4 more zombies, then it occurred to me that I made a character who was more than apt to be a crack shot and within a few days he was naked, broke, and out of bullets.

Time to find a balance mod.

I've seen an old thread here on a mod made by somebody named leonidus, but he also decided to move a bunch of items, around and make schematics rely on quest items that are completely unrelated etc, so who here knows of a mod that makes my dwarf pistolier-mechaniker viable without shitting the bed?

Wrong forum... I guess i shit the bed

Goblino

Savant
Self explanatory I guess. I read about a mod by a guy called leonidus, but he also changed the schematics in ways I'm not sure I agree with. Basically, I just need viability for my gunman.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Met rapper and Community star Donald Glover at a Subway in Illinois yesterday. Told him his last album was a complete piece of shit and he started sobbing and agreeing, just mumbling "I know, I'm sorry, I know" over and over through his tears. Raised my hand like i was going to hit him and he flinched away. Then I asked him to give me fifty dollars and he did.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Met rapper and Community star Donald Glover at a Subway in Illinois yesterday. Told him his last album was a complete piece of shit and he started sobbing and agreeing, just mumbling "I know, I'm sorry, I know" over and over through his tears. Raised my hand like i was going to hit him and he flinched away. Then I asked him to give me fifty dollars and he did.
:lol:

Funny thing, being a newfag actually makes you act more old school, here I am posting an useless emote reply just like before we had brofists

razvedchiki

Erudite
there is non of my knowledge,and to my humble opinion you dont need one.
i usually play as a dwarf storm trooper,using guns-explosives and didnt care about balance untill i read somewhere that someone decided that the game is unbalanced.

who gives a shit about balance in single player games anyways?

Goblino

Savant
Normally I share that sentiment. My problem is that bullets are either cripplingly expensive or too weak for viability. Just wanna have enough bullets to do the job. Better yet, do you know a way I can exploit the game for early game currency? The glass ceiling is pretty damn low from where Im looking

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
there is non of my knowledge,and to my humble opinion you dont need one.
i usually play as a dwarf storm trooper,using guns-explosives and didnt care about balance untill i read somewhere that someone decided that the game is unbalanced.

who gives a shit about balance in single player games anyways?
Anybody who isn't a larper

razvedchiki

Erudite
you can make bullets by buying a bullet shematic from the gunsmith shop in tarant.

you can make plenty money without cheats by exploring/doing quests,you wont get rich but whats the point having 50000 bucks on lvl 1 anyways.

i really dont get the whole balance thing,its like some mysterius power forces players to use glitches/exploits to play the game.
its like if they dont have a choice to not play as retards.

Prime Junta

Gunmen are totally viable in vanilla. Not only viable, they're a shitload of fun. You just have to hunt for schematics and components, craft a lot of bullets, and do everything you can to have the best possible gun at any given time. With a gunner even the combat becomes almost tolerable.

Very early game is tough though. I usually start with some Throwing and a boomerang and then just kite the fuck out of it until I find/can afford a rifle, which shouldn't take too long. Molotov cocktails are gud also. But yeah: craft your bullets and get a big gun. If you have a weak gun you'll blow through your ammunition too fast. You will be buying a fair bit of saltpeter but it's way cheaper than bullets.

Goblino

Savant
I guess I just need to back up a couple hours and play more carefully. Again I'd like to reinforce that I hate the concept of balance in rpgs. Balancing rpgs is why they don't exist anymore. For roleplay to exist, inequality has to exist, as well as limitation and vulnerability. Where most games fail at creating roleplay is where they make a game clearly to be played by one role. Easiest examples would be Bethesda and baldurs gate 1

Goblino

Savant
Bg1 makes it a shitty and excruciating game when you don't roll a maxed out guy with a big stick.

Goblino

Savant
Dat powercurve don't payoff until the second game. Unless you know what to do already, bg1 is a shitty game for any character that's not dickhuge enough to kick the doors out of candle keep.

Uninstall.exe, because a non-existent Arcanum is the only Arcanum that's even close to balanced.

'Sup Drog.

But seriously, Arcanum is easy enough that practically any build can clear the game...unless you happen to be a creative director (emeritus) at Obsidian, whose lycophobia keeps him from finishing a promised LP.

The real imbalance comes in how tech is not as realized and simply less fun than magic for a score of reasons. A typical Mage can teleport, summon ogres to his aid, disintegrate any doors/barriers in his way, and raise the spirits of the dead to extract information in certain (scripted) instances. A technologist is a glorified garbage picker whose level-up investments give him crafting schematics, often of dubious value. A mage feels like a typical master of the arcane, but a techie sure doesn't feel like Nikola Tesla, or even MacGyver.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Arcanum's balance problems go deeper than what a mod can fix.

So no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom