Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Momentum - turn-based tactical RPG set in Vietnam War - CANCELLED

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
iu

In this case Czechian project with Vietnam war theme.
I'm lurking on their discord, but they haven't officially announced it yet and all screenshots have big "do not distribute" watermarks.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
iu

I'm lurking on their discord, but they haven't officially announced it yet and all screenshots have big "do not distribute" watermarks.
Link to their discord server:
https://discord.gg/e8bcEKB
(no idea if that works)

Some new concept pics there.

I will buy this if it allows me to burn down filthy communists villages
:timetoburn:

Any tactical game that relies on the existence of cover to have your units crouch or hunker down is an automatic fail lol.

deuxhero

Arcane
iu

(no idea if that works)

Any tactical game that relies on the existence of cover to have your units crouch or hunker down is an automatic fail lol.

The UI has a prone hotkey on it.

Grandlion1981

Lead Alchemist Studio
Developer
There are no thread for Momentum yet, so I will share here the new prototype video.

PS: I'm part of the dev team of Momentum.
PPS: I'm glad you noticed the prone button.

Grandlion1981

Lead Alchemist Studio
Developer
Thank you for creating a thread for Momentum. The project is still in the prototyping phase. We are very interested in collecting feedback and thoughts on our project early on.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Thank you for creating a thread for Momentum. The project is still in the prototyping phase. We are very interested in collecting feedback and thoughts on our project early on.

What exactly does the RPG mean in this case ? since it looks like XCOM in vietnam

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
iu

(no idea if that works)

I don't know, that CBS cameraman wasn't the only one hugging dirt once the feces hit the air con. Next time your unit goes on patrol, you be HERO and sign up for point.

Grandlion1981

Lead Alchemist Studio
Developer
CaesarCzech The combat looks like XCOM now, yes this is true, but we are going to update it later on. It is a mix between an RPG and a Tactical Game. The RPG part is because when you send a patrol on the strategy map. Once the patrol finds a village, for instance, you will move to the tactical top-down view. When this part starts you are playing in real-time and exploring the area. You can talk to NPCs and collect quests. You are talking to NPCs to gather information about enemy movements but also your goal is to convince to fight on your side. In order to earn their trust, you will have to do a few quests to build up the loyalty of the village. If you start a fight in the Real-Time mode the game switches to turn-based combat. If you sneak and see some enemies they will continue their routine/mission in real-time until the combat starts.

Morkar The game is a bit like the game Last patrol in spirit. Except that you are sending your men on patrols from your Firebase. It is not a FPS however.

Comte

Ok started watching you video why Laos and not South Vietnam? There were no FSB in Laos other then during operation Lam Son 719. South Vietnam had 4 military regions. CIA and special forces operated in Laos. No regular army units.

Grandlion1981

Lead Alchemist Studio
Developer
Comte The game start in the Military Region IV of Laos. The CIA HQ in the region is at Pakse, but you as a Paramilitary Officer reporting to Bill Lair, you operate in the Eastern part of the MRIV in an area that is currently under control of the NVA and the Pathet Lao, most likely East of Attapu. Your goal is to find and train local tribes to build Special Guerrilla Units. Your men are either CIA/Green Berets or Montagnards. You may or may not encounter people from MACVSOG since they are limited in how far in Laos they can operate by the US Ambassador (Sullivan). Your base is pretty small, you do quests and collect resources to help the local CIDG Hamlets to grow in strength.

The reason we did not pick South Vietnam, is that we wanted the player to play a more guerrilla role. The CIA in Laos, especially in 59-65, was really trying to help the local population to defend itself against the NVA that invaded the eastern part of the country. We wanted a conflict where the player would have to do more than just standard US Army missions as it will allow us to get people better understand how complex the conflict was.

There is a lot of very interesting stuff that happened during this period with a LOT of different factions. It is a relatively unknown conflict but a very rich one.

- NVA
- Pathet Lao
- Vietcong (at the border)
- Khmer Rouge (at the border)
- Neutralist Forces
- Irregular Forces (Vang Pao and the Hmongs for instance)
- Royalist Forces
- Chinese Advisors
- Soviet Advisors
- Corrupt Laotian Forces
- Corsican Mafia (Yep really)
- MACVSOG
- Green Berets
- CIA
- Air America
- USAF
- USAID
- Drug Lords
- Weapons Dealers

Last edited:

Comte

Comte The game start in the Military Region IV of Laos. The CIA HQ in the region is at Pakse, but you as a Paramilitary Officer reporting to Bill Lair, you operate in the Eastern part of the MRIV in an area that is currently under control of the NVA and the Pathet Lao, most likely East of Attapu. Your goal is to find and train local tribes to build Special Guerrilla Units. Your men are either CIA/Green Berets or Montagnards. You may or may not encounter people from MACVSOG since they are limited in how far in Laos they can operate by the US Ambassador (Sullivan). Your base is pretty small, you do quests and collect resources to help the local CIDG Hamlets to grow in strength.

The reason we did not pick South Vietnam, is that we wanted the player to play a more guerrilla role. The CIA in Laos, especially in 59-65, was really trying to help the local population to defend itself against the NVA that invaded the eastern part of the country. We wanted a conflict where the player would have to do more than just standard US Army missions as it will allow us to get people better understand how complex the conflict was.

There is a lot of very interesting stuff that happened during this period with a LOT of different factions. It is a relatively unknown conflict but a very rich one.

- NVA
- Pathet Lao
- Vietcong (at the border)
- Khmer Rouge (at the border)
- Neutralist Forces
- Irregular Forces (Vang Pao and the Hmongs for instance)
- Royalist Forces
- Chinese Advisors
- Soviet Advisors
- Corrupt Laotian Forces
- Corsican Mafia (Yep really)
- MACVSOG
- Green Berets
- CIA
- Air America
- USAF
- USAID

Nice sounds interesting

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Very excited about your game, and about how it throws light on the Laos operation. Laos and mentioning Bill Lair is a hint towards better-than-average research, which is a rare sight nowadays. At some point in the future, would you agree to give an interview about the game on the Codex? I'm thinking of collecting some questions, coming up with some my own, maybe in 3-4 weeks time?

Grandlion1981

Lead Alchemist Studio
Developer
AwesomeButton Thank you, we are indeed going a lot of research to make sure the game is immersive and feels authentic. For the people interested in the conflict I highly recommend the book Shooting at the Moon, which is unfortunately not available digitally (I bought 3 copies for the team).

It is nice to see that you appreciate the topic. Our team worked on Kingdom Come Deliverance before, we like historical themes, but it is definitely a challenge. A lot of people would like us to work on more fantasy topics. So every time someone expresses their support it is very meaningful for us.

We would be happy to answer questions about the project, however, since we are in the middle of negotiations with Publishers and Investors to fund the development of the next milestones, it would be more interesting to have the interview once this phase is over. :)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A lot of people would like us to work on more fantasy topics. So every time someone expresses their support it is very meaningful for us.

I liked Kingdom Come: Deliverance for trying something different (late medieval historical RPG), and I like this too for the same reason. When was the last time we had a Vietnam RPG? Let me check... ah, yes. Never. As a fan of obscure games I know some WW2 RPGs, but Vietnam? I don't think it has been done before.

Meanwhile, there have been plenty of fantasy RPGs released this year already... and last year... and the year before... and are scheduled for release next year...

Give me something new and fresh please, instead of familar and stale!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Men of War is a strategy game though, don't really see any RPG elements in it. Not even in the Jagged Alliance/Silent Storm way.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Men of War is a strategy game though, don't really see any RPG elements in it. Not even in the Jagged Alliance/Silent Storm way.
Hence, the closest, where closest is a cousin dozen times removed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom