Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Monark - 'new school RPG' by SMT veterans, out early 2022 [PC/PS4/PS5/Switch]

Puukko

Arcane

https://personacentral.com/new-school-rpg-former-smt-staff/

Update (2021-06-02): The “New School RPG” game has been officially announced as “Monark”—as a slightly different spelling from “monarch”—along with the logo, from the latest issue of Famitsu.

Information on people involved with the project can be found blacked out on the official website, to be revealed on June 10th (corroborated with a red countdown in the background of the site). It includes the Megami Tensei series staff involved:

• Kazunari Suzuki (Shin Megami Tensei writer)
  • Aya Nishitani (Digital Devil Story and SMT series writer)
  • Tsukasa Masuko (SMT and Devil Summoner composer)
  • Ryotaro Ito (Digital Devil Story and SMT series writer)

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
  • Kazunari Suzuki (Shin Megami Tensei writer)
  • Aya Nishitani (Digital Devil Story and SMT series writer)
  • Tsukasa Masuko (SMT and Devil Summoner composer)
  • Ryotaro Ito (Digital Devil Story and SMT series writer).

Puukko

Arcane
I interpreted is as 'new' school, as in not old school. Which is welcome, aping classic JRPGs has gotten a bit stale.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Neat. According to Mobygames Ryotaro Ito was planner for SMT I, II, if... and Devil Summoner.

I interpreted is as 'new' school, as in not old school. Which is welcome, aping classic JRPGs has gotten a bit stale.

I think it's a new - school RPG, not new school - RPG. I've put their Tweet in the translator and the words they've used mean "educational institution; school; academy; campus".

grimace

Arcane
Youkai Watch Jam: Youkai Gakuen Y - N to no Souguu

The super elite school Y Academy is shrouded in many mysteries. The ‘YSP Club’ tackles those very mysteries. And not just that, they can also transform into 'Yo-kai Heroes’. They are entrusted with the mission of solving the greatest mysteries in Yo-kai history. An overly powerful student council, a ruthless disciplinary committee, and even an alien invasion.What awaits Jinpei, and the other 'YSP Club’ members? A bright future? Or perhaps...Sudden gag overload. Touching developments that’ll move you to tears. A completely new experience is waiting for you. Unravel the biggest mystery of the Y Academy...no, the entire world.

These Yo-Kai are less scary demons and in some ways are babby's first Megami Tensei.

Monark sounds like a butterfly collection sim.

Vorark

Erudite
Caligula Effect was marketed as a big deal, what with Tadashi Satomi being involved, and it turned out to be on the underwhelming side. Besides, naming the project after a butterfly doesn't inspire much confidence that it won't be a reskinned Persona.

We'll see.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Caligula Effect was marketed as a big deal, what with Tadashi Satomi being involved, and it turned out to be on the underwhelming side. Besides, naming the project after a butterfly doesn't inspire much confidence that it won't be a reskinned Persona.

We'll see.

A reskinned Persona 1 or 2 is okay, though. 3 is still alright-ish, but the changes it made are where the demographic and entire focus shifted and then everything else happened in the series as we know it today.

lightbane

Arcane
Why do Nippons go back to school setting over, over, and over? Don't they hate it forever due being the start of their woes? Why would they larp going back there, no matter the circumstances?

Ressentiment (from the guy who wrote I am a Hero) was one of the few Japanese works that criticized that bit and did so correctly IMO.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Why do Nippons go back to school setting over, over, and over? Don't they hate it forever due being the start of their woes? Why would they larp going back there, no matter the circumstances?

Ressentiment (from the guy who wrote I am a Hero) was one of the few Japanese works that criticized that bit and did so correctly IMO.

Maybe because a lot of them realize, that school, even though they had to study a lot, was still the most fun and social time in their life, which they want to relive in a more positive and lengthy manner. Now combine that with rough japanese work culture after graduating, or the rising amount of hikikomori in the country (no social contact at all), and we might get a hint why they love to be back in school.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So it's just one composer and three writers? Why would I be excited? Unless any of them had something to do with game design it's a big fat whatever.

lightbane

Arcane

Maybe because a lot of them realize, that school, even though they had to study a lot, was still the most fun and social time in their life, which they want to relive in a more positive and lengthy manner. Now combine that with rough japanese work culture after graduating, or the rising amount of hikikomori in the country (no social contact at all), and we might get a hint why they love to be back in school.

Funny that, that work does address and criticize that, as given a chance most weaboo losers would indeed go back to school... But only to fool around and have the fun they didn't have in their youth, nothing else.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Caligula Effect was marketed as a big deal, what with Tadashi Satomi being involved, and it turned out to be on the underwhelming side.

That game was such a fucking letdown. I kept playing hoping it'd get better.

It never did.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Neat. According to Mobygames Ryotaro Ito was planner for SMT I, II, if... and Devil Summoner.
So this is all old SMT staff then? This could be interesting in that case.
I dunno, Persona, while its inspired a lot of games, hasn't really been imitated to my knowledge, outside of that one edgy indie game I forgot the name of. There are worse options than bootleg Persona IMO.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
From some of the anime I saw on netflix some Japanese seem to have a ball in school. Stressful yes, but I wonder how accurate those depictions are.

School pride where the students police the grounds and clean the school.

More clubs than I thought existed.

school rivalries beyond just the sports arena.

Journaling

and probably a hell of a lot more. Only shit I recalled from school is blah blah blah, homework, test, blah blah boredom. Get your diploma and forget school shit.

edit..
Anyway, I saw this alert and wondered about it. Here's hoping its great.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well the development studio is FuRyu of Caligula Effect series, with more or less the same art style.

Release only five months after Caligula 2.0.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
News about the project:
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/06/new...-for-ps5-ps4-and-switch-developed-by-lancarse

The development studio is Lancarse which had nothing to do with Caligula Effect. According to their website they've provided some assistance with such Atlus Titles as Etrian Odyssey 1&2, Strange Journey and Persona Q2. Game releases on October 14th PS4,5 and Switch in Japan. The trailer should drop in about 20 hours.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It seems to be posed as a spiritual successor to SMT if....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom