Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Monark - 'new school RPG' by SMT veterans, out early 2022 [PC/PS4/PS5/Switch]

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Reviews are out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/stwqen/monark_review_thread/

KPoy5Td.png

:D

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
General opinion seems to be good combat, not so great everything else.

Might get on a sale. Too much to play, and ELEX II + Triangle strategy release very soon.

Puukko

Arcane
It's out. First impression: I have never played a game that hid its ini file this well. If someone finds it, please let me know. I'd like to see if there's an option there for the fps cap; it's 60.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I'm happy with the port. My gfx card stays cool and no gamepad detection issues. For reference: My card runs hot very fast and I still use a 100 year old PS2 controller.

After the initial personality test, my highest sin was lust. It appears to determine the first party member/disciple you get.

Puukko

Arcane
I'm happy with the port. My gfx card stays cool and no gamepad detection issues. For reference: My card runs hot very fast and I still use a 100 year old PS2 controller.

After the initial personality test, my highest sin was lust. It appears to determine the first party member/disciple you get.
I got wrath. Accurate, I'd say.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Furyu's worst game and i was fucking mad with what they did to Caligula with Overdose. Go with low expectations and you will have fun, at least the OST is good.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I just started this. Probably won't have more than about 30 minutes to play tonight but I thought the personality test was kind of interesting. Might be fun to see what kind of results we get. Here's mine.
qbsvq3.png

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
This is one of those game that you play if you are a NEET same as compile trash. It's too meh in all it's aspects to be really worth your time.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Only played for about an hour thus far, the game's far superior to Caligula Overdose (not that that was a hard task). Interesting characters, a semi-competent overarching plotline. Main character is an absolute nobody who's granted powers, some may like this, some may not (personally not a fan). Very Persona-like. It immediately throws you into the thick of things, but by doing that, it obviously loses a lot of the atmosphere-buildup Persona games have.
Art and UI are also improved since Overdose. PC settings are lackluster and basic.

Happy to keep playing.

Puukko

Arcane
I played a few hours of it to give me something to do before Elden Ring and I plan on returning to it once my immediate gaming plans clear. I'm an if... fag and the premise tickles that itch though that's where the similarities seem to end. It's far more story and character focused with lots of dialogue. It's got a pretty cool twist on the seven deadly sins and I want to see where they go with that. The combat is fun so far and it's got those vocal boss themes. Graphically it looks like an upscaled Vita game.

I'm very damn near the target audience for this game but I can't in good faith tell anyone to buy it. 60€ for a niche AA JRPG with a port that's functional and that's about it. Hard no.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I've played up to the first boss. Was going to do a full review, but this game doesn't really deserve it so I'm just going to copy/paste the notes I took while playing.

Models are pretty low poly. Nozomi has square boobs. This looks like the Neptunia Vita ports at best. It definitely looked better to me in trailers.
gjJ4UA.png

Non-human models look decent
You can respec but you only get 80% of your points back
Talking to people is important because you'll get psych tests that raise stats
Everything feels extremely linear with no way to grind and no real twists or turns in the skill tree. It's like the devs wanted to be lazy and make everything easy on themselves
9603iB.png

You get XP rewards for being good at the game so being good at the game makes it easier and being bad makes it harder
The soundtrack is pretty good. Probably the best thing about the game. This is my favorite song from it so far.

Overall this is the most mediocre game I've played in years. Not good, not bad. Might beat it, might not. :3/5:

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Doesn't sound too promising. Think I'll just skip Monark and get Atelier Sophie 2 instead. Maybe it'll be worth a look when it's heavily discounted.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Doesn't sound too promising. Think I'll just skip Monark and get Atelier Sophie 2 instead. Maybe it'll be worth a look when it's heavily discounted.
Atelier Sophie 2 is really good, go for it, yesterday i played it for 6 hours straight. I don't want to derail the thread so that's all i'm going to say about it here, once i finish it i will talk about it in the Atelier thread.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I've been listening to the soundtrack a bit in my car over the last two days and I have to say that this song is really good too

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Lots of bad reviews for this. Looks like a straight Persona ripoff which I did not know was a AAA thing yet but the price says it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom