Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler - now in Beta

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't pledged yet. On the other hand, I am downloading the demo.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You get a description of stats and skills if you hover your cursor on them. Just making a warrior stereotype for now.
Intro was short and had a sweet tune playing. Might take a few screens while playing.
screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

There's a shrine where you can level up, attune magic, or atone for your sins.
Yes, I have smashed every vase and barrel in sight.
I lean at every corner.
I'm playing a buffoon. Have lockpicks, locks still too complicated.
Got surprised by a zombie, jumped off my chair. My torch is no more.
Stepped on a trap, fireball to the face.
I finally met my death and it looked like this:
screenshot3.jpg

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Can't wait for the OtherSide people to step up and publicly support this. Surely they'll appreciate someone trying to make a spiritual successor to UU after all the failed attempts...

Last edited:
This game really seems right up my alley so I gave you some bob. Happy to support game devs on the Dex as they usually make games I like or at least their existence entertains me like Grimoire.

Gargaune

Magister
Nice! I've got one more Thief 2 mission to go, I'll try making time for the demo after that's done.

RatTower, pitch is looking great though it wouldn't hurt to give it another proofing if you've got the time, you've got some hiccups with punctuation, capitalisation, phrasing etc. in there. However, this one really stuck out on the Arena stretch goal:
Lysandria, much like the surrounding wasteland, is a harsh place where unfree men and women are forced to fight for the amusement of the nobility.
If you're looking to avoid the word "enslaved" for any reason, try "captive" or maybe "subjugated", you may find "unfree" in Merriam-Webster but it's really not something you'd ever say.

Smerlus

Educated
Backed.

If this project never comes to light like a couple other projects I backed, hopefully you'll send us pics of all the hookers and blow you spent the money on.

Good luck and it looks great so far.

fork

This looks amazing. It looked amazing from the beginning and looked better and better the more the dev showed, downright incredible. I still don't trust the whole thing; it looks too good to be true, there must be something wrong.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
My favorite bit from the demo was messing around with this particular pressure plate trap. Died a couple of times trying to "lean" out the fireball's trajectory. Put a whole bunch of books on top of it, but that didn't seem to make a difference, and I couldn't find a way to drag vases, or boxes, or barrels onto it (Disappointed!). I can also confirm the door can be destroyed by the missile. Playing this demo, the game does feel like an one man's job. Good luck, though RatTower

Last edited:

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Update 1: Throwing the box at the pressure plate (found among others in the main room downstairs)

Update 2: Baiting the Zombie

This motherfucker is too fast and (through its pathfinding) avoided the trap completely.

Update 3:

What a fucking mess.

Update 4: Triggered the trap myself, the fireball hit the zombie, and...

SUCCESS!

Extra: Wondering what would happen if you put a wooden box between you and a raging flame-sphere-thing?

YOU DIE

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Gave my feedback in the proper place after finishing the demo. My 2 cents: I was impressed and surprised by the amount of satisfying elements that kept me playing long enough to see it through to the end. I was close to giving up (I had trouble remembering where I had and had not yet explored since it's a pretty vertical level). Thankfully I kept with it and was able to finish it and came away happy with my session.

strengths
-exploration, level design, puzzles. My favorite bit of the demo was a mandatory puzzle you have to solve in the barracks. It's one of those where the game shows you a room that you can't easily access but you know there's something nearby that must open a doorway to it
-impressed with the verticality and the eventual shortcuts you open up

weakness:
-melee combat needs work. the animations are ok (it seems like all melee weapons use the same animation for now), but enemy hit reaction needs work as it seems pretty absent (audio is present though).
-some visual effects for the goos would be nice, rats and zombies bleed just fine, but maybe some splash effect for the goos would work
-I had a hard time knowing when I was making contact with the goos (didn't find a bow to use against them, shame since I had plenty of arrows)
-not enough ambient audio
-personal nitpick cuz I'm old and impatient: default move speed is slow for MY liking, I wish a midpoitn between walk and sprint was the default

very impressed and more confident with this project. I do fear what combat will look like against larger enemies since it's already pretty turgid against normal humanoids. For reference, it reminds me of the little bit of Skyrim that I played. Tit for tat style of combat. I discovered the parry after I had killed the humanoids so I couldn't test it and see how satisfying it feels.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Going to try the demo later, but after taking a look at the campaign, I'm a bit worried about the stretch goals. Even though I'm familiar with the concepts behind UU/Arx Fatalis/King's Field, I think the amount you're asking for certain stretch goals is a bit too low and puts too much faith into the possibility that you'll get things right on the first try, unless you've already done research for this and the system is almost complete, with only a handful of things (covered by the requested amount) left to do to integrate it into the game.

I believe it would be a better idea to increase the amount of money required for stretch goals around 'Expanded Immersive Simulation' and up, since these don't sound trivial on paper, and the implementation might cost more than you're asking for.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
A few impressions:

- I like the logo.

- Lack of options in the main menu is decline.

- Not a fan of the unskippable intro.

- Letter could be bigger to make it easier to read (how about making the letter be centered on the screen and sufficiently enlarged to use the space?) and the walls of text should be broken in paragraphs.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I have spread good news of Monomyth arrival on dozen or so discord channels connected to RPGs in making. Many positive reactions, 10+ people said that they will pledge. Even few devs (lead dev of Encased pledged, for example)

This is what all of us can be. Couriers of Monomyth. Spread good news, about good game in making. Make $$$ numbers go up^ even faster!

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Also @Jarl Frank, this is excellent opportunity for you to further sharpen your writer's quil. Maybe you and RatTower can make out

So far writing seems pretty decent, maybe you can be this project's Chris Avellone, only difference: your writing doesn't get burned like heretical text

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Rattower, please disable motion blur. I think I've left about thousand messages on steam by now for developers who forgot to turn it off or forced it in the game. It gives nausea.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Going to try the demo later, but after taking a look at the campaign, I'm a bit worried about the stretch goals. Even though I'm familiar with the concepts behind UU/Arx Fatalis/King's Field, I think the amount you're asking for certain stretch goals is a bit too low and puts too much faith into the possibility that you'll get things right on the first try, unless you've already done research for this and the system is almost complete, with only a handful of things (covered by the requested amount) left to do to integrate it into the game.

I believe it would be a better idea to increase the amount of money required for stretch goals around 'Expanded Immersive Simulation' and up, since these don't sound trivial on paper, and the implementation might cost more than you're asking for.

Well #tbh, RatTower seems to be programming savant. Sure, he shouldn't bite more then he can chew, but I think he carefully calculated stretch goals. That's why first few, the most likely ones to be reached, are all about things with min impact on dev process (like languages etc...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom