Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler - now in Beta

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Awww shit... gotta hit that fishing stretch-goal, bros!

ThewDev

Novice
The zone right behind the gate is slightly larger than the demo.
All zones roughly conform to the level design principles of Ultima Underworld, which means four thematically different quarters forming a map, with a "hallway" connecting them.
In the demo, this isn't as noticeable because the "hallway" is less obvious (since it's the beginning of the game and supposed to be a more linear introduction to the features), but the quarters are there:
Lower Bastion, Upper Bastion, Trading Post (including the cliffs and the bridge) as well as the caves.
The connecting elements are the valley, the tower, and the elevator. Given the right skill, you can basically go to any quarter right in the beginning.
Thanks for the detailed answer. It sounds like the rest of the game will be more non-linear, especially for players who use skills in clever ways. This sounds great -- very few games get exploration right! One thing I'm personally hoping to see is for some secrets to be more than just simple rooms with loot. There were a lot of cleverly hidden things in the demo (and I'm sure I missed a bunch), but they were mostly very minor in nature. I'd love to see some hidden lore pieces and maybe some especially difficult, hidden level sections with substantial rewards.

Btw, the two-handed combat looks like fun. I hope you find the time to re-implement it.

Nyast

Cipher
Shame that the most interesting stretch goals are at higher levels. I'm looking forward to the new zone and the expanded faction gameplay. Language support is a must IMO, even if you don't reach that stretch goal, because it can massively affect your sales. The soundtrack, the arena or the microfeatures are nice, but not as interesting as the new zone + faction gameplay, so I wish the stretch goals were in a reversed order :o

The talk about the map design makes me very excited :)

Narushima

Cipher
Well, I also just finished the demo. I certainly got very strong King's Field vibes from it, which I really like. The exploration is well balanced, and there are little extra you can reach if you pay attention at your surroundings.
I think it's a good idea not to have enemies respawn, not every game needs to be a Dark Souls clone.

A nice moment was when I was in front of a locked wooden door. I couldn't pick the lock, so I swinged my sword at it in frustration, thinking "Oh come on, in real life I could totally destroy that thing! Damn you, video game logic!" And then the door broke open. That was neat.

Random notes:

– When you have a container screen open, you should be able to close it with F, or even Esc.
– It would help to use a different icon between what can be manipulated and what can be picked up into inventory.
– Torch light is very orange. Also, I know torches are a staple of fantasy, but lanterns make so much more sense. Three related videos about it: one, two, three.
– From what I can tell, you cannot put torches in a quick slot.
– The ability to compare a weapon in inventory to the one currently used would be useful.
– The mana sphere looks very faint, so it looks empty even when full.

I did not enjoy the sin system. I didn't even understand what it does until I read the explanation here. Apparently, I killed the rat trader (I think, I never found a note about him, like someone mentioned), I did pay at the shrine, but I still don't know where he is (does he respawn?). It feels like I've unjustly been denied content through no fault of my own.

Another frustration was the shovel, and where to use it. I had to watch the speedrun video, since as far as I can tell there are no hints about it.

I never did figure out the barrel bombs. How do you use them?
Combine the firestone with it. It seems weird that you can't light it with a torch.

fork

I think it's a good idea not to have enemies respawn, not every game needs to be a Dark Souls clone.

Then how do you propose the problem of permanently losing XP should be fixed? And do you think implementing difficulty levels is an overall better solution at this budget level?

JDR13

Arcane

JDR13

Arcane

Then how do you propose the problem of permanently losing XP should be fixed? And do you think implementing difficulty levels is an overall better solution at this budget level?

Just make the shrines save points like in the King's Field games. Why does every game have to have a respawn system now? Can gamers no longer handle the prospect of losing progress if they die?

fork

I consider Dark Souls' rolling save to be superiour in almost every way.

With King's Field's system, you'll get lots and lots of complaints about not being able to save on short notice should real life require it and thus losing progress unnecessarily. While I personally wouldn't mind, I still find that to be a valid point. And then there's the biggest advantage of Souls' type system: It's basically a dynamic difficulty system. While the game will still feel hard to plebs, with a little time investment everyone will be able to beat it. That's a million times better than having to implement half-assed difficulty settings, where none of them feel right for half of the players.

JDR13

Arcane
Why would he need to implement difficulty settings?

Not being able to save on short notice isn't that significant. There are enough successful games with save point systems to show that gamers aren't really bothered by that.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I consider Dark Souls' rolling save to be superiour in almost every way.

With King's Field's system, you'll get lots and lots of complaints about not being able to save on short notice should real life require it and thus losing progress unnecessarily. While I personally wouldn't mind, I still find that to be a valid point. And then there's the biggest advantage of Souls' type system: It's basically a dynamic difficulty system. While the game will still feel hard to plebs, with a little time investment everyone will be able to beat it. That's a million times better than having to implement half-assed difficulty settings, where none of them feel right for half of the players.
Dragon's Dogma has a save system inspired by Demon's/Dark Souls, but instead of just a single rolling save there is also a second checkpoint save that is replaced whenever the player rested or used a riftstone. The player always has the option of reverting to the last checkpoint save, which permits the player to erase a blunder at the expense of losing progress, but otherwise can rely on the rolling save so as not to lose (much) progress if dying or needing to suddenly terminate the game.

Nyast

Cipher
I did not enjoy the sin system. I didn't even understand what it does until I read the explanation here. Apparently, I killed the rat trader (I think, I never found a note about him, like someone mentioned), I did pay at the shrine, but I still don't know where he is (does he respawn?). It feels like I've unjustly been denied content through no fault of my own.

Another frustration was the shovel, and where to use it. I had to watch the speedrun video, since as far as I can tell there are no hints about it.

The rat is the one giving you multiple hints as to where to dig :)

fork

Not being able to save on short notice isn't that significant. There are enough successful games with save point systems to show that gamers aren't really bothered by that.

People even complain about missing difficulty settings in Souls titles (where they'd be completely superflous as explained above). Having one static difficulty, where the only option is to git gud, doesn't fly at all nowadays. That would significantly shrinken the potential player base for no benefit at all. Same as not being able to save and quit. While those might be no major hindrances for you and me, they sure as hell are for many people. And they can be solved (among other things), by implementing Dark Souls' saving system. I don't see why one would be opposed to it. Where's the downside exactly?

Zed Duke of Banville well, yeah, that may be even better, but probably also harder to implement for a minor benefit at best.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
My favorite bit from the demo was messing around with this particular pressure plate trap. Died a couple of times trying to "lean" out the fireball's trajectory. Put a whole bunch of books on top of it, but that didn't seem to make a difference, and I couldn't find a way to drag vases, or boxes, or barrels onto it (Disappointed!). I can also confirm the door can be destroyed by the missile. Playing this demo, the game does feel like an one man's job. Good luck, though RatTower

6CSUyR.jpg

Vs4fv6.jpg

Sorry, RatTower. This can only mean Underworld Ascendant is better than Monomyth. :martini:

JDR13

Arcane

People even complain about missing difficulty settings in Souls titles (where they'd be completely superflous as explained above). Having one static difficulty, where the only option is to git gud, doesn't fly at all nowadays. That would significantly shrinken the potential player base for no benefit at all. Same as not being able to save and quit. While those might be no major hindrances for you and me, they sure as hell are for many people. And they can be solved (among other things), by implementing Dark Souls' saving system. I don't see why one would be opposed to it. Where's the downside exactly?

Zed Duke of Banville well, yeah, that may be even better, but probably also harder to implement for a minor benefit at best.

I don't think the dev is worried about trying to please everyone. I also don't think the difficulty is an issue. In fact, you're the only person I see bringing it up.

fork

No, I just don't see why you would want to implement a worse saving system. I guess I'd have to be as retarded as you are in order to understand. But since you seem to be too stupid to even try to explain, I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that my pets (every single one of them) are more intelligent than you and move on.

JDR13

Arcane
I already mentioned what I didn't like about it, troll boy. I, and others, would like death to have more consequence than just respawning with all the items I found since my last save.

fork

Consequence my ass. If you really think King's Field's system is better for a game like this, well fair enough.
I hope for something better than that.

What's kinda funny is that I argue against any kind of saving system in arcade games in the savegame limitations thread. But this is no arcade game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/3261109

Monomyth's Demo is now available on Steam!

Hi, dungeon-crawling fans!

First, let me thank you all once again for your great support! With your help, Monomyth was funded in less than three days! That is fantastic and I am very happy that there is so much enthusiasm for this type of game!

And just in time for the weekend, Monomyth's Kickstarter Demo is now available on Steam!

You can find it on the game's shop page.

In the following days, I will go through the demo feedback and update the available build.
Just a little heads-up: In this version (1.02), there is still is a small problem with the Wooden Club (the weapon's range was accidentally reduced). This issue, as well as a couple of other things, will be resolved in the next version!

Best wishes and have fun,

Michael

JDR13

Arcane
A Souls style save system makes sense for a game with Souls level difficulty. This game obviously doesn't have that.

fork

A Souls system makes sense for good, somewhat challenging games (and King's Fields, while great games, would have profited from it).
I hope Monomyth's going to be that.

And now leave me alone, retard, it was a mistake engaging you in a conversation.

JDR13

Arcane
You've obviously never played King's field. Now go bullshit somewhere else, and tell your mom I said hi.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom