Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler - now in Open Backer Beta

fork

I've been here for more than 5 years, I've regulary argued against the ignore function and called poeple who use it faggots. But if I think about it, I can't remember a single post of yours that wasn't completely retarded. So grats, you made it. You're first, subhuman, and you know the competition is fierce on the Codex.

Divinity: Original Sin
The thing is, if you die, should be gameover. This "recover you body/soul" gimmick does work when you have respawning enemies on ressurrection. Like diablo 2, and dark souls games, which are completely different games but has this element.

My experience with monomyth was like this: I died fighting against a slime, but every enemy I killed to reach it were dead after I respawned at the shrine. I managed to recover my "soul" and killed the slime. Everytime I managed to recover the soul (its very easy to do so, unlike darksouls where you can die before havesting you xp because the enemies could be unforgiving). I don't know what happens if I die again before getting the soul, but since there's no enemy to kill me, it's just an unecessary, redundant thing. In another outcome, if I die again, I lose the soul, the xp of 7 enemies I killed before, and therefore, cannot level up enough for harder areas later in the game.

Also, when dying you lose no equipment, items.

One thing I noticed, is that some enemie spawn in a previous area after you pass, like the bridge before a shrine, where 2 zombie archers spawn only after you passed over it.

About the architecture I mentioned before, The level is too square-angled there are not many diagonal walls, or random curves. the caves are somewhat better, and of course, this is just only one area, so just a small nitpick.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I die again, I lose the soul, the xp of 7 enemies I killed before, and therefore, cannot level up enough for harder areas later in the game.
This does sound like weak design. When resources aren't renewable, it's bad to make them permanently destructible. Could lead to a 'failure spiral'.

In general, not a fan of "clear cutting" style games where there is a lot of backtracking but there's nothing interesting when you visit areas the 2nd time. I don't need to fight more goblins every 30 seconds to stay interested but empty levels aren't great either. Do it System Shock 2 style instead where you can never completely clear an area.

Harthwain

Magister
I played a bit more:

- Need the way to reconfigure keybinds (I don't like to press mouse wheel to light stuff up).

- Adding the option to toggle to sprint would be nice.

- Need visible key configs to tell what shortkeys are for what.

- Can't tell what the "Ready" option does. Is it for the weapon? If so - I have no idea how to unholster it and removing it from inventory to be able to cast a spell feels way too cumbersome to be intentional.

- Save on exit has "exp" next to it. Am I paying with my experience to save each time I leave the game or is this simply "experimental"?

- I love interacting with the environment (baking bread, cleaning bandages).

I die again, I lose the soul, the xp of 7 enemies I killed before, and therefore, cannot level up enough for harder areas later in the game.
This does sound like weak design. When resources aren't renewable, it's bad to make them permanently destructible. Could lead to a 'failure spiral'.
I assume you only lose experience you didn't spend, am I correct? Are there any drawbacks to resting at the shrine?

Gerrard

Arcane
Gerrard you fucking nigger, what's the downside? What point do you disagree with?
Having one static difficulty, where the only option is to git gud, doesn't fly at all nowadays. That would significantly shrinken the potential player base for no benefit at all.
Go write another whiny Kotaku article about it, retard.
https://blog.activision.com/sekiro/2020-07/Sekiro-Shadows-Die-Twice-Free-Update
Since the release of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice on March 22, 2019, over five million copies of FromSoftware’s epic adventure set within a mythical feudal Japan have found its way into the hands of a community that welcomed the challenge of becoming the “One-armed Wolf.”

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/3261312

2nd Stretch Goal Achieved | About Item & Character Creation

Hi, dungeon-crawling fans!

The Kickstarter campaign is a bigger success than I could have ever imagined! In less than a week we already reached the second stretch goal! I must sound like a broken record by now, but I cannot thank you enough for your support!

At release, the game will be available in English and (shortly afterward) in German. With the second stretch goal achieved, the game will also be translated to Polish, Russian, Spanish, French and, Japanese.

If you pledged on the Lysandrian Knight level or higher you will have an influence on the game's content (items & characters). Since there have been some questions in this regard: I have added a short list of rules concerning item and character naming (respectively their creation) to the FAQ.

Most of it should be rather intuitive. I just wanted to specifically point these things out so there are no surprises. In case you have any doubt that your idea will conform to these rules, please do not hesitate to contact me directly here on Kickstarter.

More updates to come!

Best wishes,

Michael

Ysaye

Arbiter
I think it's a good idea not to have enemies respawn, not every game needs to be a Dark Souls clone.

Then how do you propose the problem of permanently losing XP should be fixed? And do you think implementing difficulty levels is an overall better solution at this budget level?

Was playing last night and experimented; basically as the game stands there are multiple experience memory recoveries to re-pick up if you die multiple times, so is there no loss of experience.

Narushima

Cipher
Yes, the harp is nice.
I managed to get something that sounded like a slow version of the piano chords in that Snoop Dogg song:

Narushima

Cipher
Have you tried to use the middle mouse button?
I have. If it didn't work, it was the game's fault.
I still don't quite understand why the firestone exists. Surely if you have torches and candles that are automatically lit when you use them, what's the point in having a disposable item to create sparks?

Last edited:

Thal

Prophet
I completed the demo couple times and tried some different skills to boot. Some quick thoughts:

• Great level design. There are lots of secrets, optional areas and treasures. I like the verticality and visual cues for new areas. It's quite telling that I had some trouble finding all the seals even after completing the demo once.
  • Combat is a bit wonky. I have hard time suspending my disbelief for bows with 10 meter range. Also, i can't hit anything with them. Melee is a bit better, but in many cases you only need one trick to kill the enemy, such as backtracking or circling. In principle, the stamina management system works fine, but I'd take another look at the combat and encounters as a whole. Even though this is not a combat game per se, it should still feel satisfying. Currently it's merely ok.
  • Save system is fine. If Monomyth had free save/load, most of us would just try harpy herbs, etc, just to see whether its worth using the consumable. Because the level is pretty small, there's very little extra running after dying. From the market standpoing, I believe the common wisdom is that players are willing to suffer 3 minutes of lost playtime after dying. You're mostly under that mark, imo.
  • Many things lack documentation (atoning sins, adventurer memories, etc), but given that this is Alpha or pre-Alpha, I'm not really concerned. I also don't know what some skills do, and what's the point of some spells. What's the point of creating mushrooms, for example? I also found no use for barrel bombs, though I expect I could kill enemies with them.
  • Some skills seem underpowered. I tested Search with 3 and then 6, and I mostly got the audio cues for traps and digging spots - the easy ones. No cues for books in bookcases, for example, even though I was standing pretty close of them.
  • Interesting to see that you're going for the similar "authored look" that Underworld Ascendant was going for, but that it works better here. I'd prefer Thief-type horror, but I find the forlorn atmosphere pleasant as well.
  • Edit: Mantling was a bit janky. With some ledges I had hard time figuring out, whether I failed because I couldn't jump high enough, or because I didn't click at the right time or at the right pixel. Moreover, I lost health while trying to stack boxes

Amazing that you're doing this by yourself. Naturally, I'll chip in some cash and look forward to the full release.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I sent you a couple bug reports about ladders, one with coordinates. Activating ladders while holding 'w' forces me back down and off the ladder. Its as if the controls get inverted. This will be a problem if I'm being chased by enemies, or chasing someone down if there is such a scenario, and I don't have time to face up and stop just to activate the ladder. Activating ladders on a descent, without pressing 'w' or 's' key is glitchy and throws me off the ladder.

RatTower

Last edited:

geno

Savant
Have you tried to use the middle mouse button?
I have. If it didn't work, it was the game's fault.
I still don't quite understand why the firestone exists. Surely if you have torches and candles that are automatically lit when you use them, what's the point in having a disposable item to create sparks?
I just tested it and yes you can. Thing is it doesn't aoutomatically align the torch so you need to find the point to ignite it.

JDR13

Arcane
You can't light the barrel bombs with a torch. I tried that. Unless he changed something in the updated demo.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
You can't light the barrel bombs with a torch. I tried that. Unless he changed something in the updated demo.
fwiw I downloaded the demo Wednesday or Thursday, and I can light barrels with a torch.

Narushima

Cipher
OK, after a bit of fiddling and finding juuuust the right angle/height, I was able to light a barrel bomb with a torch, in demo 1.0.
So now the firestones are definitely useless.

JDR13

Arcane
I assume the firestones will have additional uses in the full game. Plus you might want to use one instead of a torch if you don't have a lot of torches.

*Edit* I just found that you can also light campfires with them.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
It's a little weird that smashed barrels respawn upon loading a save. The barrel bombs respawn as well. I hope he changes that because it's somewhat immersion-breaking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom