Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler - now in Open Backer Beta

LudensCogitet

Learned
As for impressions: The first beta phase will be quite a bumpy ride, I can already guarantee that.
I am still pushing for it because it's probably high time to get a proper feedback loop going.

The one portion of this beta phase that needs the most attention from testers is probably the quest structure. The quests' code/scripting is alright (as far as I can see), but there may be situations where dialogue needs to be adapted simply because people solve the quests in unexpected ways. As for the core character features - there are still a couple of things that need to be addressed (especially in AI), but nothing that would stop you from solving the first area.
Most other problems (I know of) are more or less of an aesthetic nature (which tend to look more critical than they actually are - for example, the relocation of NPCs after a dialogue currently happens instantly which has kind of a comedic effect but from a technical perspective its no big deal. I might even fix it by tomorrow if I can get other stuff out of the way first).
I backed the project, though I'm not in the beta (feeling a little regret about that!) If I may be so bold, I sense a bit of (perfectly natural) nervousness in your recent posts about the beta. I hope the development isn't taking too much of a toll, and I think you can be pretty confident that people in the beta want to help. I wouldn't sweat the rough edges, I'm actually sorry I'll miss them.
Really looking forward to this game, and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for beta tester reports!
:shittydog:

Ysaye

Arbiter
So, what's going on? Did anybody get the beta?
I got my key 2 hours ago from Rattower.

Can you post the email he sent (without the key obviously)?
Dear NAMEGOESHERE,

you supported Monomyth on the "LEVELGOESHERE" level. Your rewards
include access to the project's closed beta phase.
Please activate the following key on your steam account to download the
game:

KEYHERE

This key will be active throughout the entire beta, however, it is not
the final game key. A separate key will be sent to you once Monomyth is
released.
Please remember that this is a test version for quality assurance and
not representative of the final game. You will undoubtedly find many
bugs and design flaws which will be corrected throughout the testing phase.
While I am trying to avoid it, some patches may also invalidate your
save states. Regardless, I hope you will still have fun testing Monomyth
and accompany its development to a stable release. If you find any bugs
please report them through the form linked in the character menu
(standard key: TAB).

Thank you for your participation and best wishes,

///

Stuff in caps replaced obviously.

sosmoflux

Educated
RatTower I stupidly thought backing at any tier would get one in the Beta, and it seems only 25ish people backed at the Beta tier?
If you want some more feedback I'd love to do some playthroughs if you want to throw a couple of sneaky keys around here.

+M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/3522621

State of the Game: Beta Start​

Hi, dungeon-crawling fans!

Monomyth's closed beta has finally started! Those of you, who backed the game at the "Seventh Oath Cleric" level (€ 125) should have received their invitation mail by now. In case you haven't, please do not hesitate to contact me via contact@rattower.com.

The first beta phase will still be a bit of a bumpy ride with many bugs and some missing features. It is mostly a focus test for the new code base and the first area of the game (hence the name Beta 0). What follows now is a constant loop of feedback and patches that will push the project closer and closer to a stable release.

In that regard, the game already received various hotfixes over the weekend. Among other things, these fixes included the following:

• Slimes are no longer invincible
  • Various level design fixes
  • Swimming should be much less of a pain now (still not entirely painless)
  • Comfortability features + fixed bugs in container GUIs
  • Some adjusted/corrected dialogue options
  • Books should display correctly while being carried around
  • Torches burn longer and burnt-out torches are now placed in the inventory
  • The GUI for money should update correctly now
  • Fixed a bug that would respawn the player in a mysterious Ankh room
  • Fixed a collision problem that made leaning impossible
  • Visual updates to the environment
And so on. At least until next week, I will still focus on hotfixes of this nature. After that, I will start focusing on the first beta content patch. Speaking of which, the roadmap for the coming months looks as follows:

Update 1: To close the gap between the beginning of the game and the current beta content I will first reintroduce the "Serpent's Bastion" - the area you may already know from the demo. In the full version, this area will be slightly extended. In the same patch, item balancing will be overhauled as well.

Update 2: This patch will include the game's main settlement as well as the updated trading systems. It will also include some portions of the game that may not be accessible until later but are possibly interesting for testing at this point.

Update 3: This patch will introduce the area below the heartlands, where players will really start their vertical descent into the depths of Ariath. Releasing this patch will probably take the most time because the area in it is still at a very early stage of development.

Update 4: This patch will introduce the most classic dungeon crawling experience Monomyth has to offer. Lots of dark hallways, lots of traps, lots of tough enemies. Stressful and my personal favorite at this point. The development of this area has already progressed nicely.

Update 5: This patch will introduce the final area of the game. This area is slightly smaller than the others. The core focus of testing here will likely be level mechanics, as well as the conclusion of the main quest.

Polishing: At this point in time the content creation phase should be concluded. After that, I might open the beta to all backers or go for a short early access phase before the final release.

And that's the entire plan for the beta. Some parts may still be adapted in terms of scope but overall this is how I will attempt to push the project forward. Something that will be helping me in this regard is a highly useful debug tool I implemented some time ago. This tool is, by the way, also available to beta testers. You can bring up the GUI by pressing "K".

Due to popular demand, I will also be re-opening the Kickstarter Encore. I will send out a short update about this later this week. The same goes for the backer-created content rewards.

Until then!

Best wishes,

Michael

Gargaune

Magister
Slimes are no longer invincible
:balance:

Fixed a collision problem that made leaning impossible
jcd-dat-Ass.jpg

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/908360/view/3327612290704779378
Monomyth - June Update

Monomyth's closed beta has finally started! Those of you, who backed the game at the "Seventh Oath Cleric" level (€ 125) should have received their invitation mail by now. In case you haven't, please do not hesitate to contact me via contact@rattower.com.

The first beta phase will still be a bit of a bumpy ride with many bugs and some missing features. It is mostly a focus test for the new code base and the first area of the game (hence the name Beta 0). What follows now is a constant loop of feedback and patches that will push the project closer and closer to a stable release.

In that regard, the game already received various hotfixes over the weekend. Among other things, these fixes included the following:

• Slimes are no longer invincible
  • Various level design fixes
  • Swimming should be much less of a pain now (still not entirely painless)
  • Comfortability features + fixed bugs in container GUIs
  • Some adjusted/corrected dialogue options
  • Books should display correctly while being carried around
  • Torches burn longer and burnt-out torches are now placed in the inventory
  • The GUI for money should update correctly now
  • Fixed a bug that would respawn the player in a mysterious Ankh room
  • Fixed a collision problem that made leaning impossible
  • Visual updates to the environment

And so on. At least until next week, I will still focus on hotfixes of this nature. After that, I will start focusing on the first beta content patch. Speaking of which, the roadmap for the coming months looks as follows:

Update 1: To close the gap between the beginning of the game and the current beta content I will first reintroduce the "Serpent's Bastion" - the area you may already know from the demo. In the full version, this area will be slightly extended. In the same patch, item balancing will be overhauled as well.

Update 2: This patch will include the game's main settlement as well as the updated trading systems. It will also include some portions of the game that may not be accessible until later but are possibly interesting for testing at this point.

Update 3: This patch will introduce the area below the heartlands, where players will really start their vertical descent into the depths of Ariath. Releasing this patch will probably take the most time because the area in it is still at a very early stage of development.

Update 4: This patch will introduce the most classic dungeon crawling experience Monomyth has to offer. Lots of dark hallways, lots of traps, lots of tough enemies. Stressful and my personal favorite at this point. The development of this area has already progressed nicely.

Update 5: This patch will introduce the final area of the game. This area is slightly smaller than the others. The core focus of testing here will likely be level mechanics, as well as the conclusion of the main quest.

Polishing: At this point in time the content creation phase should be concluded. After that, I might open the beta to all backers or go for a short early access phase before the final release.

And that's the entire plan for the beta. Some parts may still be adapted in terms of scope but overall this is how I will attempt to push the project forward. Something that will be helping me in this regard is a highly useful debug tool I implemented some time ago. This tool is, by the way, also available to beta testers. You can bring up the GUI by pressing "K".

Due to popular demand, I will also be re-opening the Kickstarter Encore (slacker-backer option). I will send out a short update about this later this week. The same goes for the backer-created content rewards.

Until then!

Best wishes,
Michael

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/3554239

Quick Update: Backer Content Rewards | Slacker Backer Option​

Just a short update: I have sent out the e-mails for backer-created content rewards. If you have backed the project at the "Lysandrian Knight" level or higher, you should have received a short message with a form to fill out. If you have not received such an e-mail please get in touch with me via michael@rattower.com. You can take your time filling out the form since backer-created content will probably be added to the game last. I will notify you in time when the deadline is coming up.

Due to popular demand, I have also re-opened the slacker backer option, which can be found here:

Monomyth - Slacker Backer Page

All rewards are the same as on Kickstarter. The slacker backer option will be open until the end of the month. So if you know anyone that wanted to back the project last year but could not at the time, you can send them this link.

As for the project itself: The beta is going well. The testers and I are locating and fixing bugs almost every day. Since the last update, there have been numerous hotfixes, adjusting menus, gameplay mechanics, visuals, etc

Besides that, I am also preparing the "Beta 1 Update", which will reintroduce the Serpent's Bastion into the game.

e8eb22c8d806ce817032994faa8ae0c4_original.png

You may remember the Serpent's Bastion from Monomyth's Kickstarter demo.

8a16ed6237304a321b8195d03fbcda1a_original.png

In the full version of the game you will also gain access to a formerly closed cellar section.

And that's already all for the moment! Until the next update!

Best wishes

Michael

Ysaye

Arbiter
Can someone post Beta impressions?
I wonder if anyone here happened to even back the game at the right level.
From the little I have played (and as I mentioned in the news thread), the Beta (compared to the demo) still feels incredibly slick, even on my uselessly old computer, but (because of work commitments and now illness) I have not made my way past the first area that was in the demo so not really in a position to comment on level design etc. Not run into any breaking bugs or anything (even though clearly Rattower was expecting that to happen) but then I am not really qualified as a QA tester so I wouldn't know if I need to be trying to break a wall with a loaf of bread or cooking a sword. Sorry to be an abject disappointment; if I am feeling up to playing games later in the week will try and give more concrete impressions.

Also, as noted above, he has opened up late backers, so always an opportunity to support the game (and presumably get a shot at the Beta).

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Can someone post Beta impressions?
I wonder if anyone here happened to even back the game at the right level.
From the little I have played (and as I mentioned in the news thread), the Beta (compared to the demo) still feels incredibly slick, even on my uselessly old computer, but (because of work commitments and now illness) I have not made my way past the first area that was in the demo so not really in a position to comment on level design etc. Not run into any breaking bugs or anything (even though clearly Rattower was expecting that to happen) but then I am not really qualified as a QA tester so I wouldn't know if I need to be trying to break a wall with a loaf of bread or cooking a sword. Sorry to be an abject disappointment; if I am feeling up to playing games later in the week will try and give more concrete impressions.

Also, as noted above, he has opened up late backers, so always an opportunity to support the game (and presumably get a shot at the Beta).

Please post impressions, when you can.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/3568637

State of the Game: Current Progress | Beta 1​

Another month, another update! Beta 1 is just around the corner and in the last few weeks, plenty of significant improvements have been implemented. So let's take a look at those!

Current Progress

As you know, Monomyth's beta has been out for about a month now. In this short period of time, there have been numerous hotfixes. Beta testers have been very busy reporting various problems and as a result, both major and minor bugs were corrected. One particularly nasty bug involved the functionality of NPC navigation, which, luckily, could be tracked to a simple, incorrect engine setting.

Besides fixing bugs, I have also been adding various features that would improve the overall experience of the game. NPCs will now greet the players via text messages over their heads. The same system is also used for idle chatter and combat taunts.

53501b5a0f21330cd95e537faac59cda_original.png

NPCs have a lot to say - both nice and nasty.

I have also re-introduced Offhand Actions, which were sort of a last left-over from the old codebase's feature list. This means you can now, again, press the middle mouse button and use your torch to light other torches in the game world (and set certain inflammable objects on fire as well).

Some of you may have been unaware of it, but the Kickstarter demo also featured a shield-bash that could be activated in the same way. This feature is back as well, however, this time it is far more impactful. It can be used to knock enemies down or push them off ledges.

Combat AI has been improved as well and while it still needs work encounters are now more balanced. The rebalancing in the latest version of the game also affected weapon durability. A frequent feature request from the Kickstarter demo was the possibility to pick up the weapons dropped by enemies. This was an option in Arx Fatalis and Ultima Underworld. However, in Monomyth, this feature devalued some weapons, because of their sudden high availability. More precisely, it had an effect on the urgency of keeping an eye on your weapon's durability. This called the necessity for the durability feature into question (at least with regard to highly available weapons). Ultima Underworld circumvented this problem by permanently breaking weapons. This introduced an element of resource management into the game and reduced the effects of readily available weaponry.

I have been experimenting with a similar system in Monomyth's early game now. You can still repair your weapons at a forge, but if you don't pay attention to their durability you will risk losing them permanently. So far, at least in my experience, this little change makes the early game significantly more exciting. Obviously, this feature will be somewhat less relevant for rare weapons. These aren't readily available in the first place and some of them are indestructible anyway (they still wear off over time though, so they have to be repaired to fulfill their potential).

I have also been thinking about the save system during the rebalancing process. At the moment free saving is the standard game mode on the basis of which the distribution of level-up shrines is balanced (these were originally used to save). I might actually turn this around and balance the distribution around the classic system from the Kickstarter demo. People will still have the option to turn on free saving during the character creation though.

I have also reworked the object carrying/placement system since I have noticed that players kept having problems with putting bread near a fire or into an oven. Therefore, I implemented a feature with which they can drop items from the inventory directly into their character's hands. Players can then precisely rotate and place the item with the help of a "ghost object". This is also very useful for stacking boxes.

Beta 1

The rest of the time, I have focused on closing the gap between the actual beginning of the game and the current beta content. This required a rework of the "Serpent's Bastion", an area you already know from the Kickstarter demo.

The patch integrating this content should be ready within the next few days. With its release, Monomyth will enter the "Beta 1" phase. Just like after the release of "Beta 0" I will then shortly focus on documenting and fixing various bugs found by the beta testers. Afterward, I will shift my focus toward working on the next beta patch. Going strictly by the plan from last month's update that would include the game's main settlement, I might, however, switch Update 2 and 3 around, since the latter still requires more work.

Either way, there is still a lot to do. I will keep you posted!

Best wishes,

Michael

Oremus

Novice
I like the "ghost object" for placing and orientating things but it looks a bit wonky with the actual object blocking half of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom