Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler - now in Beta

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
RatTower Will all backers have access to the Beta or just those above a certain tier?
Closed Beta Access was part of the Lysandrian Minister backer level.
That's a bit of a dilemma because the more testers the better, but Beta Access generally seems to be considered a mid-tier reward.

Are you saying you consider a $600 pledge to be "mid-tier"?

Honestly, that's a ridiculously high bar just to allow Beta access.

I actually mixed up my own backer level names :oops:
It's the "Seventh Oath Cleric" reward at $125.

Narushima

Cipher
According to the Kickstarter page, access to the closed beta is actually at the "Seventh Oath Cleric" level (€ 125). Oops, beaten to the punch by the Ratman.

That might have been a mistake, because now you have only 25 people in that pool, which is people at that level + the one below it in the list, despite the fact that "Lysandrian Minister" is more expensive but listed above, so shouldn't get access (???).
And you're stuck with those, because giving beta access to other tiers would feel like you've cheated those who paid more.

I've never had people do beta testing for me, but I would guess that about 10 to 15% of testers will give you any sort of actionnable feedback.
And actually, about that, I did beta test Driftmoon, and the devs had created a shortcut right in the game that would take a screenshot and open a text box to describe the issue. You just had a button to click and it would be sent to them directly. That was a great way to do it, and I did send them a bunch of reports.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
According to the Kickstarter page, access to the closed beta is actually at the "Seventh Oath Cleric" level (€ 125). Oops, beaten to the punch by the Ratman.

That might have been a mistake, because now you have only 25 people in that pool, which is people at that level + the one below it in the list, despite the fact that "Lysandrian Minister" is more expensive but listed above, so shouldn't get access (???).

That's just a weird thing Kickstarter does with its layout once certain tiers are filled (similar on Geneforge's page).

This is the correct reward list:

BfKdXhR.png

JDR13

Arcane
You're going to let random people create characters and questlines in the game?

How is that going to work? I hope you have veto power over anything dumb.

Ysaye

Arbiter

Rattower has sent some correspondence on that process a while back (can't remember if it was only to relevant backers or not) around those who are in those categories working with him him and within certain defined parameters. I also (would like to) think that most people in those categories of backers don't care too much about being specifically involved in item creation; they just want to see the project succeed.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer

Yes. I wrote down a couple of rules to avoid rubbish quests/names/etc. (basically, anything you add has to fit within the setting).
A few people came to me with their ideas before backing and I already told them that their fetishes won't make it into the game, so that shouldn't be a problem either :D

Ninjerk

Arcane

Yes. I wrote down a couple of rules to avoid rubbish quests/names/etc. (basically, anything you add has to fit within the setting).
A few people came to me with their ideas before backing and I already told them that their fetishes won't make it into the game, so that shouldn't be a problem either :D
No enchanted piss forest :negative:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished Demo, some thoughts and question.

1. First, important question: does "Search" skills work? I got 5 from start, seems to do nothing.
2. And how skill points are awarded, i cant figure how exactly.
3. Also mana seems not regenerate, how much skill in Arcane connection is needed to regen?
4.Plenty of secrets, found around 20-25. Game really rewards exploration.
Spend 5 hours looking for cool things, but probably missed some loot/secret places.
For example, there 2 bows in area, i found only 1 (hint: torch). Where is 2nd?
5.How many dig spots? Found 2, key and ring.
6.What exactly glass sphere is showing in mage room on top?

Demo lengh: Full exploration is around 3 hours. Completionist around 4-5.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Also game is awesome, highly recommended. I cant think of modern game now like this one. Maybe Thief and Dishonored, but less "actiony" and more RPG.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

1. First, important question: does "Search" skills work? I got 5 from start, seems to do nothing.
3. Also mana seems not regenerate, how much skill in Arcane connection is needed to regen?
Spend 5 hours looking for cool things, but probably missed some loot/secret places.

- The level up screen, and the process of levelling up itself, is a little weird. As I understand it, you buy stat points directly with your experience, which then allows you to click the level up button to get your skill points?...

That's from a dozen pages ago, so I don't blame you for not having seen it. I agree that it's confusing to figure out with no prompting.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

- The level up screen, and the process of levelling up itself, is a little weird. As I understand it, you buy stat points directly with your experience, which then allows you to click the level up button to get your skill points?...

That's from a dozen pages ago, so I don't blame you for not having seen it. I agree that it's confusing to figure out with no prompting.

Yes, level-up mechanics (especially skill point gain) need to be explained in-game.

curds

Magister
Manuals are nice but I think in modern games there is no reason to not explain everything in-game with tool-tips, etc. It's not like you get the pleasure of having a physical tome open while you play, you're just alt-tabbing to a PDF which is no fun.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Any way to get into beta without being kickstarter?

And how much beta content has compared to full game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom