Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler - now in Open Backer Beta

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
You never played Mirror's Edge?
Platforming in FP isn't near as bad as people make it out to be.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It's not any more stupid than playing a game set in some make believe world with childish powers that constantly break the laws of nature.
And criticism leveled again FP platformers that you aren't aware of your body and the way it behaves became obsolete after Mirror's Edge.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Platforming in a FP really depends on how it's built up. In Mirror's Edge, all the game was built around this, it shows it can be done, but it doesn't mean that it will work for any FPS. And even in ME I wouldn't want to try a sequence like that, mostly because it's going to be very hard to land right on the pillars, regardless how platforming works.

Curratum

Platforming in FP only depends on how much of an easily disoriented old git you are.

Hot Lava is a game that exists and is great and it's all about fantasy parkour in first person.

Harthwain

Magister
What's the point of platforming though, however it is implemented? It's just a basically a proto-QTE.
Well, you could say that Dark Souls is all about pushing buttons... It's technically true, but it has more nuance to it than that.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Making 3D levels without even a bit of platforming is a quite frankly a waste of potential. There's so much cool stuff you can do with it.
Besides RatTower has to make use of the Athlethics skill.

It's just a basically a proto-QTE.

Boiling it down like that you can say the same about any real time game

V_K

Arcane
Boiling it down like that you can say the same about any real time game
Not really. In something like UUW or Daggerfall, where to-hit chance is stat-based, timing the clicks has a very minor effect.
And in most real-time games (that aren't Dark Souls) misclicking an attack doesn't mean you fall into lava and die immediately.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I know you haven't played many action oriented games, so this migth come as a surprise but in those games twich skills are of much less importance than knowing what actions to make and when to make it.

Also not in every platformer failing to porperly deal with an obstacle results in an instant or high loss.

And just because a game has a high penalty for a certain mechanics doesn't make it a QTE.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
D
Funding situation will probably change in the near future.
let us know when you join onlyfans

Weirdos posting their genitalia online is probably the only market that's even more saturated than indie games, so we might have to think of something else.
Do presale in GOG or Early Access on Steam fast before the looming economy crisis... and this is no joke; I can pay $20 $25 today for a videogamethis month but maybe not next month

Ysaye

Arbiter
D
Funding situation will probably change in the near future.
let us know when you join onlyfans

Weirdos posting their genitalia online is probably the only market that's even more saturated than indie games, so we might have to think of something else.
Do presale in GOG or Early Access on Steam fast before the looming economy crisis... and this is no joke; I can pay $20 $25 today for a videogamethis month but maybe not next month

Sadly I think you are right. One thing I expect though is that for some people who can still work and earn money but are in countries that will have social distancing for months, computer gaming and gaming will be a popular past time. It is said that the sales on board games in Australia has gone through the roof recently. Which all points to what Invictus is saying; the next two months may be a very good time to get in; later maybe not so much.

PrettyDeadman

Send me code pls.
Unrelated: I am learning Unity right now and was plannin to put my zombie game on sale for halloween this year. Do you think it will be a good time to get in the market?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Send me code pls.
Unrelated: I am learning Unity right now and was plannin to put my zombie game on sale for halloween this year. Do you think it will be a good time to get in the market?

Personally I'm so fed-up with zombies I'd rather become one myself than play another zombie game.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
A couple mutations here and there and you might be in luck!
Either way: The best time to get into a market was always yesterday.

Talking of times past, the safe area I posted last week also has a facade:

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Arxian as in Arx?
There's a city in your game world called Arx?

No, I'm just refering to the fact that - like in the city of Arx - some buildings in Lysandria are timber framed (besides being underground of course).

675570-arx-fatalis-windows-screenshot-welcome-to-the-city-of-arx.jpg

I just happen to like that style of architecture.

V_K

Arcane
buildings in Lysandria are timber framed (besides being underground of course).
It doesn't make a lot of sense underground though, does it? You'd imagine wood would be a rare and valuable material - unlike, say, stone.
But it's also funny in general how much you see of timber-framed buildings vs. e.g. sandstone ones.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
buildings in Lysandria are timber framed (besides being underground of course).
It doesn't make a lot of sense underground though, does it?

Yeah but it looks cool

:positive:

Just remember: In the world of Arx Fatalis apple pie was somehow a thing.
Doesn't make much sense either. Especially since the surface was frozen.

In the Stygian Abyss it made a little more sense, since there was an ordinary outside world that might send supplies down there every once in a while.
But if that was the case, why do prisoners (who actively tried to destroy the main gate) not wait for a shipment and try to break out when the gate is opened?
Maybe there was a reason, but it certainly wasn't too memorable.

And King's Field? King's Field, like many japanese games, doesn't even try to make sense in a lot of cases.
There is then some throw away line about cosmology or lore or some mystery that puts the pieces in the right place. Ironically that often sticks with people better than a "realistic" explanation.

For example in KF1 (US) it's always night on the island of Melanat, except for a single village and the reason is basically "a wizard did it".
My assumption there is, everything was always dark because level designers would have better control over the limited draw distance in open areas. But that's just a guess.

Creating worlds that are generally illogical is mostly about your own taste and a pinch of practicality for suspension of disbelief.
As long as you operate within the logical limitations of your own setup: "Cool is the rule".

ColCol

Arcane
I've been looking for more and more games like this and its sad how difficult it is to find good ones. I am waiting for this game with baited breath.

Rattower, you seems well versed, any indie games similar to yours that I might be missing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom