Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler - now in Beta

SophosTheWise

Cipher
You never played Mirror's Edge?
Platforming in FP isn't near as bad as people make it out to be.
I hate platforming in any form, it's stupid, twitchy and unrealistic. I just don't play side-scrollers, so they don't bother me.
But I would argue that it is indeed worse in FP because you can't see your own body.

Yeah, seeing your own body is much better, as evidenced by Ultima VIII

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Interestingly enough the jumping system in U9 seemed to be "inspired" by the patched version of U8, since the Avatar always just jumped where the cursor was, as long as it was close enough. It was just as pointless once you figured it out.
I wonder whether that was actually a remnant of the isometric version of the game. It would make sense.

Either way, I never really had problems with first person platforming as long as the controls were tight enough.
And that means no body-physics simulation shenanigans that slow down the character or add unexpected momentum.
Unfortunately, Arx (and to lesser extent DMoMM) did exactly that, so I can understand why people didn't like the platforms in the dwarven section.
Additionally the jumping itself just catapulted you forwards. At least sometimes. Sometimes you just jumped in place.

I can assure you, that Monomyth does this very, very differently. There is some momentum but it's way more predictable.
Movement speed is not entirely binary, but it's much easier to estimate your trajectory when you press the jump button.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Nah, my issues with platforming go at leas as far back as Battlespire, if not Super Mario. But I'm not saying you should scrap all the platforming sections, even if my fervor might suggest otherwise. Just make some alternative non-actiony paths, as is the spirit of UUW/Arx anyway.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Btw this might sound kind of funny but given the inspiration from Ultima and Arx... is there going to be cooking?

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Btw this might sound kind of funny but given the inspiration from Ultima and Arx... is there going to be cooking?

There is. Cooking is the only interaction that doesn't work with the regular item combination system at the moment.
Instead you have to physically place the ingredients at a fire (like in Arx). It confuses the hell out of people, so I might automate the placement in case of a regular combination.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I admit cooking was an absolute pain, and nothing would likely be funnier than watch me panic as I try to flop fish into the little stove next to the homeless dude.

It felt real, but also please dear god have a cook button.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
I admit cooking was an absolute pain, and nothing would likely be funnier than watch me panic as I try to flop fish into the little stove next to the homeless dude.

It felt real, but also please dear god have a cook button.

That probably didn't work cause that little stove isn't really for cooking :D
You need an open fireplace or a chimney with a grill.

Either way, I added the automatic placement yesterday. So now you can just "combine" the ingredient with the fireplace and it is placed there automatically. No more fiddling around.

Paper

Educated
Nah, my issues with platforming go at leas as far back as Battlespire, if not Super Mario. But I'm not saying you should scrap all the platforming sections, even if my fervor might suggest otherwise. Just make some alternative non-actiony paths, as is the spirit of UUW/Arx anyway.

your issue with platforming goes back to you being an absolute scrub in denial, git gud

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Platforming in older immersive sims had a tendency to be really clunky. There's no reason it has to be that way in a newer one though.

Paper

Educated
all im saying is that if you're bad you should lose, maybe you should practice instead of getting all defensive like a loser

RatTower

Arcane
Developer

Largely back on track. Gonna focus on fixing things for the next patch now.
(Mostly completing the skill system and perhaps character creation depending on how much time i have)

Kitchen Utensil

A few screenshots

Everything you've shown and communicated so far about Monomyth is fucking awesome and I'll almost certainly be buying the game regardless. However, one thing I'm really a bit worried about is environments or, to be more precise, variety of environments. With the whole game taking place underground (as I understand it), you're wasting a lot of opportunities of atmospheric and moody locations that I'd miss sorely, like moonlit lake, enchanted forest, sunrise etc... please try and think of a way to implement as many of those (not only the ones I mentioned, there are countless others) as possible. Because your game is about exporation, and every exotic location players encounter will strengthen their will to explore further.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
A few screenshots

Everything you've shown and communicated so far about Monomyth is fucking awesome and I'll almost certainly be buying the game regardless. However, one thing I'm really a bit worried about is environments or, to be more precise, variety of environments. With the whole game taking place underground (as I understand it), you're wasting a lot of opportunities of atmospheric and moody locations that I'd miss sorely, like moonlit lake, enchanted forest, sunrise etc... please try and think of a way to implement as many of those (not only the ones I mentioned, there are countless others) as possible. Because your game is about exporation, and every exotic location players encounter will strengthen their will to explore further.

I could be wrong, but I think the game's supposed to be set underground (apologies to the Dev if I'm mistaken). So I don't see many chances of very green jungles or extremely yellow deserts appearing.
Still - even if Monomyth's supposed to be centered around very dark, deep and scary abysses - RatTower could pleasantly surprise us and create some underground biomes (like the jungle with dinosaurs on Verne's Journey to the Canter of the Earth, etc). But it's his creation, so he last word. And what a mighty fine creation it's looking up to be! :salute:

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

Yeah, there are certainly a lot of possibilities to realise variety underground, I just hope there will be enough of it. Because so far all we've seen are undeground mines and variations. All very nice looking, but not enough to really spark that sense of wonder and exploration that video games are capable of and that this game deserves.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe adding a few different cave environments; a mossy cave with an underground river or a crumbling ancient mausoleum would fit perfectly
One of my favorite moments in Peter Jackson’s LOTR trilogy is when Gandalf talks about the Kingdom of Moira and they enter a wide open space with these massive pillars and a celling so high... great stuff too

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Though as a solo dev, rattower has limited means/development time, so I wouldn't be surprised if we only got underground dungeons

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
I still gotta fiddle around with different lighting scenarios, but yes there will be a few outside environments.

In the meantime I optimized my workflow for simple dungeon environments a bit (in other words, I got sick of aligning the hundredth modular hallway piece - even with grid snapping).
No replacement for hands-on level design but basic areas can be done very quickly with this:

It's like drawing a PnP map on graph paper except with multiple layers/levels.

In fact, it works so well, this might be me in a couple months:
https://youtu.be/xDyXSCd2Lp0?t=607

Last edited:

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
RatTower Very impressive! Keep it up. This game is shaping to be the game of the decade. The demo was very nice and promising.

EDIT: I wrote demo, but I meant alpha/beta (can't remember which it was I had the chance to play).

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In the meantime I optimized my workflow for simple dungeon environments a bit (in other words, I got sick of aligning the hundredth modular hallway piece - even with grid snapping).

Is there any sort of 3D tile-based mapping addon for UE4? I think something like the map editor in Neverwinter Nights 1 but with the ability to stack the tilemaps and add additional freeform objects would be perfectly fine for pretty much any indoor or mostly indoor environment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom