Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by RatTower, May 7, 2017.

1. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    There is no addon that I know of at least.

Which is surprising cause all you really need is a three dimensional array filled with numbers and a table with correspondingly mapped 3D objects.
    The rest is really just convenience features.

^ Top  
  2. Maxwell's Demon Arcane

Maxwell's Demon
    Sometimes, I suspect game designers are ignorant of really basic things they should know before working on software. Seriously, watch an online intro course on computer science and discrete maths, game designers!

Edit: That wasn't in reference to you, RatTower.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. SophosTheWise Arbiter

SophosTheWise
    Finally managed to repair my PC (that was bricked literally a few days before I could install the Monomyth alpha), so I'm excited to finally delve into it!

• incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. SophosTheWise Arbiter

SophosTheWise
    Ah, now, this was literally the first game I've installed and booted since that heinous day. Didn't have much time, but spent half an hour exploring a bit and I love what I've seen so far. I liked how interlinked the level was, the way it rewards you for finding your own solutions, but also how it punishes you for your own failings. I got killed by poisonous mushrooms because I thought maybe sprinting past them would work, lol.

I'm still astounded that you're doing this on your own. The art style, sound design and atmosphere were really great. I never played King's Field, but from what I can tell (watched a playthrough for a short amount of time), you nailed the feeling. To me, it felt like a cross between Arx Fatalis and Dark Souls, so that's a good sign.

A few minor things:
    - Combat is not too engaging, but I think that might be because I'm so early in the game
    - Walking animations of enemies are a bit stiff
    - I'm a bit sad that I can't see my equipped torch in my off-hand
    - I didn't get how to grill the fish. Dropping it onto the fire didn't work, and the use-command doesn't work either. A bit unintuitive.

In any case, I'm amazed by the quality so far, this being an alpha and you being the sole developer. I'm really looking forward to the whole thing.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    More intuitive cooking (use command) is coming with the next patch.
    There was a lamp in an earlier version but it caused some trouble with animation states.
    I might still put it back in (it was a pretty alright model after all), but I gotta look into it.

Right now I'm trying to really speed up the level design process.

As mentioned: The only issue left is the NavMesh generation (essentially, getting the AI to walk on the generated environments).
    After that the only problem with this approach is me scaling environments properly (i.e. not biting off more than I can chew).

Show Spoiler

In reality all of this is me being jealous of Ultima-styled level editors:

:lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    • incline incline x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. HarveyBirdman Savant

HarveyBirdman
    Keeps looking better and better.
    Re: death penalties... If enemies don't respawn, then you could really get yourself into trouble. I could see myself scraping by while under-leveled, but consequently dying more and more often. Eventually, I'd be so under-leveled that the playthrough is basically impossible. A vicious cycle.
    Maybe there could be a temporary handicap instead. For example, death stunts your health to half it's max until you use a consumable, or find a special magic fountain, or pray at a special altar, or something.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I think that having a classic “death is death” approach is more classic and follows the influences of Arx and Ultima Underworld; enemies don’t respawn and dying means a reload.
    That way the sense of progression is preserved; the best game probably ever for that system was Gothic where the “set” gameworld made for some pretty awesome adventures

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
    Though on the other hand it doesn't follow the influences of King's Field, etc where enemies do not even have the decency to wait until you walk a few meters away before respawning :-P.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/908360/announcements/detail/4229396696544864992

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    Infinitron reposting at the speed of light!

Anyway, it's just a small update so the steam community doesn't think I'm dead.
    Mostly stuff you guys have already seen I guess.

I got some days off (finally) so I'm working on something pretty neat right now.
    Here's a hint (it's not horses btw):

If you played KF2 you might already know what's up.
    But let's keep it a surprise.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    KF2? You mean - King's Field2?
    And that tweet sounds familiar... I got flashbacks on the tram-headed NPC from bumthesda's Fallout.

^ Top  
  12. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    Yes, King's Field 2 (aka KF1 in the US)

The train hat was a special kind of architecture abuse though.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    Had some days off...

Busy with spells and weapons at the moment.
    Weapon meshes are finalized. Textures are about two thirds done. Still gotta rig/animate some bows.
    With regards to the amount of weapons, Monomyth is roughly in the same league as its inspirations.
    I also implemented about two thirds of all spells. The three maigc castes are still in. Their spells (and the stat requirements for those) are nicely distributed, so every spell weaving character should have a solid arsenal.

All of this was done pretty quickly now, since most item designs have been fully finalized (with scribbled artwork an everything).
    Now I can chop the remaining work up into easily managable chunks and finish one bulk of assets after the other.
    Armor is getting the same treatment once I apply all of this to NPC creation.

It's basically the same kind of work process optimization as with level design.
    It's a pity it took so long to find a feasible work mode. Before (even with the alpha) things were very prototypical.
    Assets weren't really produced in "series" so to say, so it was harder to really balance things and put a lid on certain parts of the game.

But now that this is the case, it really pushes the whole project to another level.
    More precisely, almost the level I want it on to get it out there and collect funding for the rest of development + polishing.

Anway, I hope I can soon write an update about the next few months.
    And I really mean it, cause after those...

Show Spoiler
    ...my work contract is cut down to 20 hours, so I might as well do this full time.
    :shredder:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 24
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    ^ man there's something going on at the edges of the screen there that look like UT99 with the FOV cut down RatTower

^ Top  
  15. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    That's just me playing with the aperture of the sequencer camera. The actual player camera has no such effect.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. The Fish Arcane

The Fish
    Could you upload some high resolution footage somewhere? The twitter gifs are quite small.

^ Top  
  17. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    Twitter's media compression is an absolute mystery to me - besides being annoying and unpredictable. If I remember correctly it accepts up to 512 MB videos, but everything looks like its compressed to 144p.

I'm thinking about a complete rebranding at the moment (company name, website domain, YT channel), so I can effectively upload material to a bunch of coherent channels.
    Then you'll see some better quality (and maybe a little longer videos + sound).

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. PrettyDeadman Victim of C*dex *dministr*tion Patron

PrettyDeadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Hello. You haven't send me demo key.

^ Top  
  19. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    Haven't forgotten about the alpha sign-ups. No need to worry.
    You may get a different alpha level than the testers before you though.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I'm surprised by the color of the lighting, isn't usually more blueish in other games?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Ysaye Savant

Ysaye
    Purple is a good colour for chain lightning, but regardless that looks like it could be an effective spell against mobs.

A variety of weapons are very important for this kind of game; hopefully Rat Tower will make an iconic weapon reminiscent of the MLGS :P Maybe it could be a ruby bladed halberd which turns into a wave of fire as its swung?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2020
    ^ Top  
  22. Bester ⚰️☠️⚱️ Patron Vatnik

Bester
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• nice nice x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Narushima Learned

Narushima
    Not that I really care about the colour of lightning, but here are counter-arguments from Diablo 1 & 2 (Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale lightning is also blueish):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    ^ Top  
  24. V_K Arcane

V_K
    [​IMG]

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Narushima Learned

Narushima
    I wonder if that would actually look good or not. Rather than being side to side, you could have the colours follow each other along the length of the lightning strike, sort of blending into one another.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.