Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by RatTower, May 7, 2017.

1. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Just try the demo.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Button Button x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Yes, at $1000 level at minimum. Everyone who knows their RPGs already done that.

• Prestigious x 5
    • incline x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    It's never worth backing, that for any game, you end up paying the same price , that if the game ever release . Wait no, you pay more as the game usually get heavily discounted not long after or on gamepass. The only good reason is if you like the guy and want to suppot him, prevent him to starve.

• retadred x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • consume product x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    :hmmm:

This is an obscure indie meant for PC, not a ShitBox title you dolt

• Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. The Wall Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

The Wall
    As I said, Codex is declining and turning into Discord. This is fifth example today of moron who doesn't even read title of thread (further then three first words) let alone post above him, and getting familiar with what others have said on last few pages or what's state of the game is out of question and moron's mental league

People used to think before pressing [ENTER]

• Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Nope codex is turning exactly like reddit, go with the crowd or you get negative karma. I'll never go with the enthusiastic dumb crowd, kickstarters are most often just advertisement or barely some preorder ,most of the time the amounts does not cover anything,certainly not pay a team. In this rare case it may eventually pay a lone dev a year of expanses , it's charity or patronage .
    But from the wallet point of view its never worth it , you are taking a risk , no guarantee it release , no guarantee it wont be a 4 hours game either. Nothing goes faster on sale on steam than a rpg.

• Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Harthwain Magister

Harthwain
    Kickstarter is essentially an investment into something you find interesting. From that perspective it is worth backing (although it's still possible to fail, or end up being a scam), because it is your only direct way of supporting projects you want to see happening. The alternative is not backing them (and saving yourself some money), but you will never get anything worthwhile from that and will have to rely on whatever the industry wants to throw at you, so I would rather have Kickstater games as a possibility, even if we may end up being disappointed by the end result.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Nyast Arbiter

Nyast
    Kickstarter is, has always been, and should always be, considered as a donation. You're not pre-ordering a game, you're giving money to a developer to help him realize his dream. If you're not convinced by his abilities or the potential of his project, nobody forces you to pledge. It's not a "risk" if you're treating it as a donation, which it should be. If you're looking for the best bang for the buck, then yeah, just wait until the game's at a discount in a few years.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. geno Learned

geno
    How many years do you think this one will be delayed? I say 2024 is a safe bet.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. SharkClub Cipher

SharkClub
    Strap Yourselves In
    NO. GRUG MUST POST NOW. GRUG NEED DOPAMINE HIT OF BROFIST JUST FOR UTTERING AN OPINION. GRUG MASH ENTER. OOGA BOOGA ZUG ZUG.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/3263784

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    In a way it is very complete already.

But the potential for "polish" is almost infinite. It is kind of a Grimoire situation. There are some micro-issues remaining?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. garren Arcane Patron

garren
    Played around a little, just wanted to mention two issues I immediately noticed, sorry if this has been mentioned before. I'd really life a quick button for lighting or extinguishing a torch, I know you can ready it in your hands and switch the loadout but I prefer to put it in the inventory, a quick button to do that would make things smoother. Also, I tried making bread and noticed you can't drag&drop the dough into the fireplace ala Arx, would be a nice feature to be able to combine things in the world with drag&drop without the extra clicks.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Narushima Savant

Narushima
    Hold the bread/fish in front of you, then left-click to throw it onto the grille.

^ Top  
  15. Bastardchops Scholar

Bastardchops
    This looks good.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Kalarion Arcane Patron

Kalarion
    Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Finally got around to trying out the demo, I was only able to play about an hour and I'll have to put a pause on it for the moment.

- Game already looks gud, no glaring issues or holes in the world etc. Everything seemed to work as advertised so far. I expected as much since I've been following the thread for a couple years now.
    - My box with 2-3 year old parts on Win 10 ran it just fine. I didn't get very far though, maybe that changes further in.
    - Combat seems decent, I second the people saying that hitboxes are a little misleading right now. I did enjoy having to crouch in order to whack slimes with my club :D
    - Interactivity is good so far, I like the fact that it's pretty intuitive to figure out what's just props/toys and what's going to be important. Kept my inner packrat/item experimentation autist in check.

Most of my negative impressions have already been said by others:

- The motion sickness is real. RatTower please, for the love of God, turn off movement sway. This was the reason I had to stop playing, it was making me nauseous and giving me a headache. Never had this happen to me in a game before, it was super disorienting.
    - I second whoever said the movement areas were unintuitive. I was surprised multiple times by not being able to move to places I thought I would be.
    - I think this is a minor bug, but I may just not understand what's going on: in the courtyard area leading to the first shrine, there's a barrel that can be broken that holds one of those blue glowies that indicates an item to pick up. Only I can't interact with it and I can't move close to it (it seems like the barrel I broke is keeping me from doing so maybe?).
    - The level up screen, and the process of levelling up itself, is a little weird. As I understand it, you buy stat points directly with your experience, which then allows you to click the level up button to get your skill points? I'd suggest giving the process an easier flow. Something like, Light up Level Up button > Click button to get both attribute and skill points. You could make clicking Level Up either give you all available points up to the maximum level you can attain at that point, or one click > one level.
    If you want the process to stay as is, maybe one of those tutorial blurbs could pop up explaining what to do the first time you go to a shrine after getting enough experience for a level?

Anyways, I had fun. I've never been able to get into interactive 1st person RPGs (I was too dull-witted and uncoordinated to consistently cast spells in Arx Fatalis, for instance), but I could definitely see myself finishing this one. Backed.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    Holy shit, I thought I was just tired or something!

Anyway, despite the motion sickness, I've backed too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/3268026

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. Old Hans Cipher

Old Hans
    it has the best difficulty system. most people just don't even realize its there. easy difficulty is called "heavy armor and tower shield"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    Fatroll, b*tches!

^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/3269359

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. geno Learned

geno
    This made me reinstall Arx Fatalis (I only played like half of the game back then on Xbox) and what an awesome game Arx is. Just the quest design puts the game on another league and most of other RPGs to shame.
    Best of luck to Rattower but he's facing a beast. I get Monomyth tries to be its own thing and AF is just one of many influences but I feel like I l'll watch it under AF shadow. This said, I made my pledge because there are not enough games like this.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Thal Augur

Thal
    Now you made me install it.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Narushima Savant

Narushima
    The quick bug-fixing is quite impressive. This game is in good hands.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. FreshCorpse Arbiter Patron

FreshCorpse
    Strap Yourselves In
    I've long since finished the demo but yeah it's very reassuring. He already has a largely working piece of software and is clearly able to iterate quickly on it.

The only thing that strikes fear into my heart are his stretch goals which just look absurdly ambitious for the money he's asking. But I work in business software where the costs are astronomical, largely because of the huge number of people involved. He only has one person and that is a benefit as well as a risk.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.