Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by RatTower, May 7, 2017.

1. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    It's not the gamers, it's the dev who changed it for the crying cretins. He lost a sale right there.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. The Wall Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

The Wall
    Devs are scared of losing any customers. Different game modes are Solomonic solution

^ Top  
  3. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    No it's not, because it corrupts the artist's vision, assuming he has one. Trying to please everyone is the best way to produce shit, as evidenced by the state of games (and pretty much everything else tbh) in 2021.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. LudensCogitet Learned

LudensCogitet
    I'm a little baffled here. How has adding save anywhere corrupted the design of this game?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    Too dumb to realize if you don't like the feature you can always not use the save feature unless you're in shrines or whatever.

"But muh imma big brain gamerZz i am trained to use every toolz at mah disposals!"

Yeah sure your problem.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ysaye Savant

Ysaye
    TBH I would have preferred the original save system (I like the tension of not being able to save anywhere) but I accept RatTower 's take on it; Ultima Underworld (one of the inspirations for this) allowed you to save any time and as such you can experiment with stuff / tactics / etc. He didn't invoke the argument of lost time/ casual gaming, and to be honest I don't see how someone could have been concerned about that because in the demo there was a shrine at short distance to anywhere.

The shrines are still used to level up, so they retain a purpose. If the decision on the free-saving is final then it would be good from a design perspective if the rest of the game had Shrines only placed sparingly. Perhaps as DLC there can be a "Rodents will die" version that only allows the use of the original save system?

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Butter Arcane

Butter

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Narushima Learned

Narushima
    I guess that's one way of reaching that chest.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    reminds me of Vaporum

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Gazing at his slowly refilling game shelves ;-)
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/3326158

Any time you use Thief and Underworld as examples is pure designing gold in my worldview!!!

:martini:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2021 at 9:49 PM
    • Brofist x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Well, that's shitty for him about the big money backer doing that. Could be for any reason, really.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Phos Magister Patron

Phos
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    According to Kickstarter, something like that should not be possible:

^ Top  
  15. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    A dropped pledge is unfortunately not the same as a cancelled pledge.
    A pledge is dropped if a user's card information is invalid and the money can't be collected.
    More correctly one should probably say the pledge was dropped by Kickstarter.
    But then again, it's the users managing their card information.
    Can't really say how much intentionality is behind it.

There were actually a couple more of these pledges, but they barely amounted to 200 euros.
    The money was transferred and the invoice was entered. It's a kick in the nuts, sure, but there is no point brooding over it. Especially since the next one (20% taxes) is just around the corner. The Kickstarter fees were actually slightly lower than expected (8.6 instead of 10%).
    Anyway, it's still a very good result I am glad about.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Narushima Learned

Narushima
    ^ Top  
  17. Phos Magister Patron

Phos
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I assume you have already tried reaching out to the backer as that Kickstarter article suggests?

The fact that Kickstarter isn't making sure that the provided credit card data is valid (by charging it with $1 for example - at least for pledges > $100) and isn't holding backers accountable for this kind of shit really makes them look like an unprofessional company. Even more so as something like that might actually break a creators neck in the worst case.

^ Top  
  18. Narushima Learned

Narushima
    They do, but if it's valid during the kickstarter and expires after it ends, the card can't be charged.

That being said, that does seem disingenuous, because their payment processor seems to be able to redirect a refund from an expired card to the one that replaces it. You'd think they could do the same for the payment of pledges.

^ Top  
  19. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    Tried it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    They already received three or four reminders during the "Errored" phase.

• Rage Rage x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. FreshCorpse Arbiter Patron

FreshCorpse
    Strap Yourselves In
    Why is it that you pay 20% tax on this income? Austrian VAT? I ask because companies usually pay taxes on net profits not on general cash transfers.

Commiserations on the deadbeat backer. What a shit

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    Yep, it's VAT. I have to declare it every quarter.

Now, I'm a layman in the field but technically VAT is a "pass-through tax", meaning that it shouldn't affect companies and is paid by the end-consumer of a product. Unfortunately, it isn't quite so simple.

Basically what happens is, every time you buy something you pay 20% VAT. That's just included in the price.
    Vice versa, every time you sell something 20% of those profits have to be declared as VAT (KS pledges count as selling something as far as I know).

The "idea" is that you declare that 20% of your profits as VAT and (as a company) you can deduct that other 20% you paid.
    Ideally, this is a zero-sum game for the company, but here comes the problem: What if the company barely buys anything?
    Well, then you're shit outta luck, cause you can't deduct anything either and the full 20% from your profits go to the taxman. The only way to "avoid" paying that tax is immediately spending those profits on VAT-relevant goods and services again. Now, I have already allocated a good chunk of that money, but spending it all till December is neither sensible nor feasible. So to a certain extent, you basically gotta bite the bullet there. But wait! Here comes the next slap in the face: All the Kickstarter money that's still on the company's bank account on the 1st of January '22 gets taxed another 25% (profit tax). So, in the worst case, the full tax rate would be ~40%. With my current allocation, it's like 35%. Perhaps my accountant can still come up with something.

Another thing to mind here: After all that taxing, I have not paid a single rent - cause that money is company money and in order to finance core development (=paying bills) I would have to pay myself a part of it as a salary, which is taxed yet again (because it is compounding with my income from the beginning of the year when I was still employed). The only way of avoiding that is bleeding (private) cash till January and then paying myself in the lowest tax class.

And then that cash will sustain me for around seven months (btw on a level that is lower than my unemployment benefits were, so there's another fun twist to the story).

So at this point, you can probably see, why I also emphasized that I will try and activate further funds. But you know what?
    If that succeeds (and that's a big if), who's waiting around the corner?

Show Spoiler
    It's the taxman saying...

But the real chef's kiss is this: There are people who are absolutely baffled by the low numbers of company foundations around here.
    That's like the final punchline of a divine comedy. That's how perfect it is.

Don't get me wrong. I greatly enjoy my situation and I can arrange myself with these things, but some of it is just laughable.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021 at 6:18 PM
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.