Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Monomyth Beta Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Monomyth; Rat Tower Software

RatTower's Ultima Underworld-inspired dungeon crawler Monomyth was successfully crowdfunded on Kickstarter last year. Development on the game has progressed steadily since then, but it has taken a bit longer than expected to finalize due to RatTower's decision to refactor the codebase in order to make feature development easier. The benefits of that extra work will hopefully be apparent with yesterday's release of the Monomyth backer beta. The beta consists of an area called the Lysandrian Heartlands, the caverns surrounding the game's main settlement, and it includes features such as dialogue, blacksmithing and swimming. Details about these features (including brief gameplay snippets) are available in last month's Kickstarter update. There's no launch trailer for the beta, so here's a longer progress report video RatTower put together back in May.

Unfortunately, it seems that only 34 backers actually have access to the Monomyth beta build, so I'm not sure we'll get to see much of it. The game's demo is still available, but I would recommend expanding beta access to all backers eventually. The final release of Monomyth is now scheduled for autumn.

Skdursh

Savant
Pretty much this, Peripeteia and Shadows of Doubt are my three most wanted right now. The demo was truly a joy to play and if the full game keeps that level of quality then this is going to be something really special.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Super excited about this, it's one of the most anticipated immersive dungeon crawlers for me. Demo video looks great and definitely an impressive achievement for a one-man-show type of project.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Guy has hands that know no pain when picking up hot pies from the oven. I also just hurl my pie in the oven. Cook you bastard!

The only thing i didn't see was burning everything up like uh.... Underworld.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
It's not a matter of budget but artistic skill

Anyway your game looks a lot like underworld ascendant

i.e. soulless with WoW colors
It was a joke, but I'd say the budget is a factor in so far that a single person can only do so much, given a limited amount of time.
Regardless, what would you consider a style with "soul"?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

its crazy that u need to ask this

but anyway...

- u said Thief was your main aesthetic influence, well you cant see that anywere. It looks more like Grimrock/Skyrim/Underworld Ascendant
- why must everything be colorful in a high-tech medieval world. Fluoroscent mushrooms? U need to base your palette of a certain color spectrum to make it distinct and memorable. Atm u have WoW colors
- u need more original enemies. in ur screenshots/video there are bandits, undead and rats. Forget about bandits, undead and rats. There are few machines tho which is cool. Add some golems, gargoyles. Oh I just had an idea - Clockwork Knight. These all fit into high-tech medieval. Also look to Quake 1 for influence
- get more variety/creativity in level design. Im bored from simple rooms that look like Grimrock with crates, chests and barells. Add some shafts, stairs, large chains, stained glass, gothic elements, woodem beams, reliefs, sculptures, torture machines, religious symbols, contraptions, enginges, pipes, valves. Experiment. Again look to Quake for influence. Your geometry sucks
- ur interface is horrible
- ur font is horrible. Make ur own font, its not that hard
- ur game logo is horrible

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
- get more variety/creativity in level design. Im bored from simple rooms that look like Grimrock with crates, chests and barells. Add some shafts, stairs, large chains, stained glass, gothic elements, woodem beams, reliefs, sculptures, torture machines, religious symbols, contraptions, enginges, pipes, valves. Experiment. Again look to Quake for influence. Your geometry sucks
did you play the demo?

it's a King's Field throwback.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Wtf, the look of this game is freakin awesome. Made me wanna crawl ‘em dungeons real hard. Yet the most important thing is how it feels and plays. I haven’t yet tried the demo. Hope it runs buttery smooth for the combat looks promising.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer

but anyway...

- u said Thief was your main aesthetic influence, well you cant see that anywere. It looks more like Grimrock/Skyrim/Underworld Ascendant
- why must everything be colorful in a high-tech medieval world. Fluoroscent mushrooms? U need to base your palette of a certain color spectrum to make it distinct and memorable. Atm u have WoW colors
- u need more original enemies. in ur screenshots/video there are bandits, undead and rats. Forget about bandits, undead and rats. There are few machines tho which is cool. Add some golems, gargoyles. Oh I just had an idea - Clockwork Knight. These all fit into high-tech medieval. Also look to Quake 1 for influence

I believe most of the stuff you are looking for is further downstairs in the dungeon really.
The reason why everyone and their grandmother have bandits in their RPG is that they are the perfect template for aggressive humanoid NPCs though.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It'll get released, I ain't worried. Maybe I should boot up UA and put STEAM on my newer laptop.

NOTE: If i do, then time to buy a better laptop with a a bigger SSHD.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

but anyway...

I want to see you make your ultimate dream RPG, you miserable cunt.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, you can never make everybody happy, nor should it be your goal. Just make the game you want to make, and based on what I've seen so far, I'm going to like the end result very much.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I don't know luj1 but he's prolly the bro of mar10 and hates being number 2. Even princess buttercup dumped him and mar10 has two bitches.

What games does he like? Who the fuck knows. I'm sure if i cared to look I'd find something.

As to rats.....
THEY WILL ALL DIE!!!
:evilcodex::evilcodex::evilcodex:
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom