Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Monomyth coming to Kickstarter on July 27th

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Monomyth; Rat Tower Software

Back in January we reported that Monomyth, the promising indie Ultima Underworld/Arx Fatalis successor whose development we've been following since 2017, would be coming to Kickstarter this year. It took RatTower a little longer than expected to conclude his academic work and set up his business, but he's now ready to announce that the Kickstarter campaign will be launching on July 27th. As promised, the campaign will launch with a public demo that will include the entire first part of the game. Here's the new Kickstarter trailer, which offers a look at exploration, combat, environmental interaction, and of course, baking bread.

Greetings, dungeon-crawling enthusiasts!

Today I bring you some great news:

Monomyth will be coming to Kickstarter on the 27th of July, 2021, at 7 pm CET / 1 pm EST.

As a part of this Kickstarter campaign, you will be able to try a demo of Monomyth yourself! In this demo you will travel to the Serpent's Bastion, an outpost of Lysandria, and a bulwark against the many dangers that lurk in the wastelands surrounding the ancient fortress.

You will be able to create your own character and customize its stats to your liking. The demo will feature dialogue, puzzles, combat, and the full tutorial area of the game - though, it won't hold your hand too much and there is enough room for exploration.

Why a Kickstarter?
    You may wonder, why now? Why a Kickstarter after all these years. The answer is, that Monomyth is now entering a phase of development where certain costs arise (equipment, software tools, legal fees, etc), and some assets - most of all the music - have to be done by contractors. While I do a lot of assets myself I am not a musician, so, besides financing core development, that is where the money would go.

So, when will Monomyth be released?
    There is still some content to be made, some dialogue to be written and some assets to be created. Feature-wise Monomyth is already on a good track. There will still be some changes to NPCs and the AI.

Monomyth is scheduled for Q2, 2022.

Originally I wanted to go for early 2022 - and I still think that is realistic - but I do not wish to delay it yet another time in case something unforeseen pops up. I tried to calculate a realistic goal and added a little bit. This time is actually a hard deadline. If you followed past updates you know that this is now my full-time job, and given how it went over the last couple of months I would really like it if it stayed that way.
    As stated, the final release of Monomyth is scheduled for Q2 2022. RatTower already has plans for what he might be doing afterwards, which you can read about it in the full announcement.

• incline x 22
    • Brofist x 4
    • Salute x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • nice x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    For any poor codexers, I have no interest in this game, but I will be pledging to help a fellow 'dexer and the first person to DM me will get my copy

Edit: PLEASE don't be cheap. If you can afford it, please do not DM me. Help out a fellow man.

• Friendly Friendly x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    Please, God, make it decent!

Please. I CREATED a KS account specifically for Underworld Ascendant. Let that sink in.

If this isn't good, I'll hang myself from the rafters and it will be on your consciousness, RatTower!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • +20 Social Credit +20 Social Credit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    I was tempted on reaching out, as a third world hobbo that I am, but I reminded that I'll probably and should buy this on release instead of Kickstarter. And If I get this for free right now, I'll not buy it later and I'll feel bad for that.

The King's Field are one of the the best series that I've most enjoyed in my life, if this gives me any of that feeling, I'll be a very happy hobbo.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Lord Commissar Alexer Learned

Lord Commissar Alexer
    An Arx Fatalis successor would be really nice but sadly such projects have a high chance to crash down.

^ Top  
  6. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    conscience

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Dr Schultz Savant

Dr Schultz
    I'm sold. Actually I was sold before the Kickstarter.

But please, get rid of that enchanted axe effect! It reminds me of Morrowind in worst possible way.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    The private alpha was pretty good. Still needed work and a few layers of polish to be presentable to the general public, but it was already good in that state.

I won't be pledging to the KS, but I'll buy it when it comes out.

^ Top  
  9. PrettyDeadman Arcane Patron

PrettyDeadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah, that fits.

^ Top  
  10. OctavianRomulus Learned

OctavianRomulus
    Can't wait to throw money at this.

^ Top  
  11. Tihskael Educated

Tihskael
    You can bake bread :bounce:

• incline incline x 4
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    what i really want for all those years is a remake of DEMISE or MORDOR. this intro reminded me of it

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    Looks like Arx Fatalis and King's Field had a baby.

I like.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I would be concerned about the scope of this, but RatTower seems like a well adjusted individual who has considered the scope of the project carefully.

I will happily back this when it appears on KS.

If this does end up doing really well on KS and going over target, then please be careful to set realistic stretch goals. It seems like the downfall of many a promising KS has been feature creep due to going over target.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Delterius is the bread baking realistic? We need the opinion of an expert.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    "We'll add one additional month of development per ~$10,000 raised over target to deliver a bigger, better, and more polished product." would be a ballsy and realistic stretch goal.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yes, the less specific the better. The only stretch goal a KS should ever have is "More dev time".

Promising the world and the kitchen sink always seems to end badly.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    the teleporting school of breadmaking is ancient and true

^ Top  
  19. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    It doesn't LOOK half bad.
    I'll keep an eye on this.

^ Top  
  20. Van-d-all Liturgist

Van-d-all
    Wish they'd succeed, but then again I also hoped Underworld Ascendant would...

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. PrettyDeadman Arcane Patron

PrettyDeadman
    Additional months of development should be added after game release.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Iluvcheezcake Liturgist

Iluvcheezcake
    They are, with paying customers as free quality control and bug testing, sadly.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Iluvcheezcake Liturgist

Iluvcheezcake
    On topic, looks good, will probably throw some money on it when KS hits

^ Top  
  24. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    I would be willing to pledge as much as 20 bucks into this thing. Not because I only think it will be worth no more, but because of fucking Underworld Ascendant.

That butthurt will never heal. Ever.

• Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. PrettyDeadman Arcane Patron

PrettyDeadman
    Very nice, this gives me confidence.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.