Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Monomyth now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Monomyth; Rat Tower Software

As promised, the Kickstarter campaign for Rat Tower Software's Ultima Underworld-inspired dungeon crawling RPG Monomyth went live this evening. So did the game's demo, which is available on itch.io and will be released on Steam later on. The pitch video includes last week's trailer along with an additional segment in which RatTower finally reveals his face to his adoring fans. Here it is along with a brief overview:

MONOMYTH is an immersive, first-person dungeon crawling RPG in the vein of Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis, and the King’s Field series.

Travel through an open, highly interactive game world, unrestricted by scripted sequences, hard-coded barriers, or tiled movement.

Use swords, daggers, hammers, maces, bows, or a wide range of versatile spells to overcome your enemies in real-time combat!

Remain unseen and unheard by sneaking through the shadows of eerie dungeons deep below the surface of the world.

Talk with the inhabitants of the underworld via a detailed, keyword-based dialogue system. Trade with them or press them for information. But don’t go too far or you may suffer the consequences!

Experiment with a wide range of utility items: Speed potions, water arrows, lockpicks, and many more!

A highly interactive world awaits you! Douse torches, bake bread, drink from fountains, and even play instruments!

Unravel the mysteries of Lysandria as you uncover hidden passages, dive through flooded caves, and overcome the living nightmares that inhabit the ancient halls far below the mighty fortress.​

RatTower is looking to raise a minimum of €16,500 to bring Monomyth to the finishing line, with a whole set of stretch goals already planned out afterwards. I expect everybody to pitch in so we can show those clowns at OtherSide Entertainment how it's done. A basic copy of the game will cost you just €15, with a rather exclusive closed beta access available starting from €125. The estimated release date is June 2022.

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
Really looking forward to this. One thing I'm hoping for is a strong atmosphere; Arx Fatalis had that in spades. I think a large part of it was probably due to the game's exceptional sound design. Not sure if Monomyth will have these things or not, but I'd love to get another game with that Arx feel and this is certainly a good candidate.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
for the discord, maybe he just want to control the population who's going to be there; also less people means less moderation work.

I'll back after trying out the demo

fork

discord..

It's apparantly kinda hard to resist the Zeitgeist.

Angry Roleplayer

Literate
In the vein of King's Field.. mmm.. okay. VERY in the vein as it seems
King%27s_Field_logo.png

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Stretch goals scream out feature creep / development hell. Hope they stick to what they have, make their Kickstarter goal and aim for next year with the original plan.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
for the discord, maybe he just want to control the population who's going to be there; also less people means less moderation work.
Its probably a double edged sword; this way he only gets people who are really invested in the game and likely have the same vision, which cuts down on the noise. However, there is then the risk of a lack of diversity leading to a niche outcome with potentially serious lapses in some aspects. May not be fatal if your niche is still enough of a market to be economically successful. However, it can still lead to a lot of noise in reviews by people who don't fit the demographic and bought it anyway, which eventually may turn off even your target audience once it gets bad enough. e.g. About the time you hit "mixed" on Steam.

Man, I am glad I am not an indie game developer; its a fucking thin tightrope to have to walk.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
nice! will back later. don't forget to not overpromise with the stretch goals, keep it realistic and if you do have extra fund to add more stuff, don't tell people until some time because overdelivering is better than fulfilling promise PR wise.

JDR13

Arcane
I just finished playing through the demo. I'm definitely backing this. It has a huge amount of potential.

If you're on the fence, try the demo.

Curratum

I would have backed, but then I saw the stretch goals. Just give us a decent dungeon crawler with tunnels and baddies and glowing mushrooms and lava and spells... :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom