Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Monomyth now on Kickstarter

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Jul 28, 2021.

1. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    Just uploaded a new build.

Controls are now listed under game settings.
    [​IMG]

You will have to redownload the demo, but you should be able to continue playing with your old character.

Gonna write the full patch notes on KS later (basically just a hotfix for motion blur, Y invert, and mouse sensitivity)

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  2. Dr Schultz Savant

Dr Schultz
    RatTower, allow me this humble suggestion: Drop the dependence between dexterity and hit chance.
    I'm a squad tactics fag, I LOVE stat based games, but I find few things annoying like missing a target because of a stat in a first person action combat. It creates moments of complete dissonance between what you see and what you do.
    If I were you I'd drop entirely the hits chance, link the dexterity stat to the damage output of ranged and "fineness" weapons and, of course, keep the strength stat for the damage of "heavy" weapons.

But, of course, your game, your rules...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    where's the turn-based stretch goal?

• Funny x 3
    • STOP! posting x 2
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Racist x 1
    • Someone has issues x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    By any chance: Were you using the wooden club?
    Cause I just saw that thing had a reduced range for some reason.

There is no dependence between Dex and hit chance - you probably just couldn't reach your enemy :D
    Already fixed it. Gonna be in the next build.
    In the current system, dex actually determines the damage bonus/penalty on top of your regular damage (which scales of strength and the respective weapon skill).

• Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Dr Schultz Savant

Dr Schultz
    Understood.

More than the bug, tough, was the description of the stat that fooled me. It is somewhat ambiguous.

So, if I get it right, you hit what you hit and the demage is modified by both Str and Dex.Correct?

^ Top  
  6. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I donated $20 to the codex fundraiser. I'm still good for a copy, right?

DarkUnderlord

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. OctavianRomulus Learned

OctavianRomulus
    I really loved the level design. Very clear, varied, vertical, with lots of secrets. I do have one big gripe though. The lower right green stone was quite hard to find. And I got lost for an hour searching for it. I remember an NPC that gave some kind of clue but I accidentally exited before I read it all and when I talked to it again, I couldn't get the information again. I had to look for a YouTube video to see where it was. I don't know how I would have found it on my own.

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    Correct. That and your respective weapon skill.

There are "Personal Notes" under the documents tab in the inventory. That tab should probably be called "Notes" instead.
    Regardless, that seal is actually quite tough. At least for the beginning of the game.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. OctavianRomulus Learned

OctavianRomulus
    RatTower

Oh, I didn't know you could click Personal Notes. In fact, I didn't even notice it until you told me about it. I thought it was just a header for the notes below.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    Quite a common problem. I'll probably have to rework the UI there somehow.

^ Top  
  11. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    I don't like that getting killed simply means respawning at the last shrine I was at with all my items. I hope you're not going to keep it that way for the full game.

I'd much rather you went old-school where death means death and we have to reload from our last save.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. OctavianRomulus Learned

OctavianRomulus
    Woah, the game is funded and then some!! Congratulations!

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Butter Arcane

Butter
    It was at ~13k euros when I went to bed, and when I woke up it was at 22k. Nice.

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Dr Schultz Savant

Dr Schultz
    I suppose in the final game there won't be any last save, only shrines, like in Demon's/Dark Souls.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    ^ Top  
  15. asspiss Educated

asspiss
    Noice! and still going. This thing looks great!

^ Top  
  16. OctavianRomulus Learned

OctavianRomulus
    Forget about voice acting, give us better combat and animations instead.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  17. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    For money raised over (E)1000, you should roll it up into the highest kickstarter tier it supports, and so on. Such that if you raised (E)1850 post-fees, the codex makes a (E)1000 pledge, (E)600 pledge, and (E)250 pledge.

Maybe this is already the plan, but if not I think it's a good way to add more content to RatTower's game.

^ Top  
  18. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Getting 'dem attentions.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    I hope not. I'd rather have a traditional save system. Even if we can only save at the shrines that would be preferable to simply respawning.

Make death have more consequence than just having to recollect XP at the spot where we died.

^ Top  
  20. Dr Schultz Savant

Dr Schultz
    Honestly, I have an hard time thinking to a game that creates more tension after a death than Dark Souls.

:eek:

^ Top  
  21. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    I don't know if it's appropriate for the genre, but if a player is respawning at a shrine, make them respawn naked and do a corpse run. Those are a blast.

edit: probably making it a difficulty option to respawn naked and have to retrieve corpse vs fully geared.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    That's a very different kind of game though. I don't think copying that mechanic adds much here.

^ Top  
  23. LudensCogitet Learned

LudensCogitet
    I agree. Enemies do not appear to respawn (and I think that's a good thing), which makes having to run back to where ever you were tedious (especially given the size of the environments). A run from point A to point B in Dark Souls is like a brawler / platformer level; a sequence of challenges that can be mastered through repetition and can provide interesting situations even after multiple attempts.

Monomyth so far seems much more about exploration and continuous progress, conquering the environment over time. Dark Souls is good at being Dark Souls, and there are plenty of them. Monomyth is carrying the touch for a much less represented class of game.

^ Top  
  24. OctavianRomulus Learned

OctavianRomulus
    Right now you can just die to the enemies, respawn and then finish them off. I think this can lead to abuse and therefore unfun gameplay. I'm not saying it needs to be like Dark Souls but maybe something different.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    Let me say that it needs to be like Dark Souls then. It would be a good fit for this type of game and it solves several problems, like it makes difficulty settings unnecessary, prevents save scumming, punishes death, but is motivating because in order to recover your xp, you'll probably have to beat a couple of enemies again, just to name a few.
    It's the perfect fit for a game like this.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.