1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Capcom Monster Hunter Rise

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Zerth, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Zerth Savant

Zerth

Seems like a spiritual successor of psp portable games aesthetic wise, also inherited some mechanics from Worlds+ doggo mounts.

• decline decline x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Vorark Liturgist

Vorark
    https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/monster-hunter-rise-announced-for-switch
    And another MH stories game was announced too:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/monster-hunter-stories-2-wings-of-ruin-announced-for-switch
    - Edit

Watched the trailer and Rise appears to be a downsized World (no loading times when traversing the maps, revamped clutch claw - "wirebug", mounts, interactive environments) mixed up with Portable 3rd eastern thematic. Wonder if it's running on the modified RE engine like the rumours claimed.

That being said, not too thrilled by the announcement. Wanted a sort of "back to the roots" game, with less gimmicks and story and more focus on pure combat. Meh.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Zerth Savant

Zerth
    Stories was a mediocre jrpg that went nuts implementing rng on practically everything. Despite the game was also released on mobile, it got crappy sales . So I don't expect much of it unless they do a serious revamp of TB mechanics.

In regards of Rise. It's indeed running on the RE engine. I'll await until some sneak peek of the weapons movesets and whether they will hold on G-rank for an ultimate edition to decide if is worth playing.

Palamutes are meh, I don't see the appeal on a gimmicky hound hunting simulator.

^ Top  
  4. Ontopoly Hater of Larian

Ontopoly
    Keep monster hunter pure please. World is a cancer and should not inspire any other monster hunters than it's own lane.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • No No x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    I don't think MH is going back. Ever since MHGen where they added the questionable stance system it has been slowly inching toward more and more faster paced action gameplay. Who knows, hopefully this will be good. At least it looks like it's going back to the old MH aesthetic instead of going for the drab style of World.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ialda Educated

Ialda
    I hope the grappling hook will feel good. And while I'm not a fan of World, I wouldn't be totally against the idea of reusing some of the new MHW movesets in Rise.

^ Top  
  7. Vorark Liturgist

Vorark
    Capcom's TGS presentation showcases the wirebug and the doggos. If the timestamp doesn't work, skip to 28:12.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zerth Savant

Zerth
    So they kinda went sekiro route. A more seamless gameplay implementation compared to Worlds grappling hook. I suppose the aerial vault from Mhgen was scraped in favour of wirebug aerial gimmicks. Wonder whether is gonna have iframes or will work like the IG vault.

^ Top  
  9. Vorark Liturgist

Vorark
    General gameplay footage starts at 1:36:14

Dual blades gameplay at 1:46:58

Longsword gameplay at 2:42:26

^ Top  
  10. Assisted Living Godzilla Liturgist

Assisted Living Godzilla
    Surprised to hear this game is running on RE Engine and not MT Framework like MHW, especially since this is a Switch game and I'd assume that older engine would run better on the weaker hardware than RE Engine would.

^ Top  
  11. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    Most likely they want the game logic code to be shared with future crossplatform MH instead of maintaining two game branches, and the RE engine isn't that heavy weight by itself, much of a game performance depends on the assets used/amount of effects/polycount etc.
    RE2/RE3 can run in potato mode on intel hd if you can tolerate the occasional drop to 20 fps so a game optimized specifically for the switch shouldn't be a problem.

^ Top  
  12. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Choose generic title name addition:

Dark
    Rise
    Returns
    Tales
    Legacy
    Etc.

^ Top  
  13. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Dark Rise Tales Legacy: Returns

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. sys0nar Educated

sys0nar
    If you spend 500+ hours killing monsters so you can kill more monsters than I'm sorry but your fucking retarded, play a good game with actual meaning and purpose like Final Fantasy II.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. sys0nar Educated

sys0nar
    Ok, who edited my post?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Ataraxia Novice

Ataraxia
    Infinitron

• Funny Funny x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Zerth Savant

Zerth

The Demo will be released soon. Now you can mount and control monsters as a puppeteer like in Shadow of Mordor.

Riding tigrex really is going to be something.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    • incline incline x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Dishonoredbr Savant

Dishonoredbr
    Hope there's Kirin , so can mount her. :P

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. ultimanecat Cipher

ultimanecat
    Demo thoughts from a hammer user:

-Mobility seems to be the key here; wirebugs mean you should technically never be without a “dash” of sorts, and monsters seem to be designed with your mobility in mind.
    -Fully MHW in feel, from looser movement to item collection to tons of random birds and bugs and stuff floating around giving out small bonuses. Overall it’s okay but I never preferred MHW’s feel to the earlier stuff since it all felt kind of sloppy or haphazard.
    -No idea if it’s just for the demo but I was knocking out/stunning monsters fast with just a few big hits. Mizu still carted me since I was dicking around figuring out moves though.
    -I like the Palamute in principle, riding it is fun, plus the shrine map is pretty expansive. Not sure that’s really all that much of an improvement. Running from one end of the map to another on foot would probably take over five minutes.
    -Monster riding seems sort of gimmicky. I got to ride Arzuros while on the Drome-clone quest by just running up to him and doing a single wirebug attack. Attacked the -drome with him for a bit and then the timer ran out and Arzuros fucked off. Damage wasn’t all that impressive, maybe got the equivalent of two full golf swing combos. Rathian was hanging around the map during the Mizu fight but I ignored her entirely to see how things went on my own.

So overall it’s fun and I’m sure I’ll get it, but might benefit to hold out for the leaked PC release when I’m sure it’ll have more content included.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zerth Savant

Zerth
    Still considering whether to get a switch for this game and SMT V.
    That would be great if the leak comes true this year. However, I don't expect It to be released in less than 8 months or so. But I dunno.

Well then It seems like might be more worth it on multiplayer as an amusing way of tanking. Does the mounted monster's attacks topple or trip foe monster easily?. You gain more aggro like having the taunt armor skill?.

^ Top  
  21. ultimanecat Cipher

ultimanecat
    I’m going to play some more but from my single play-through this morning it went like it does in the video: I slapped around the monster with Arzuros for a bit until his “super” meter filled, then I did his super attack which did knock the monster over. I think you can jump off somewhere during that attack but Arzuros turned around and attacked the monster on the ground automatically. So yeah, maybe just the equivalent of a relatively easy topple for your team.

^ Top  
  22. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Having watched a fair amount of the demo gameplay, it personally looks to be a great improvement over World, not only in terms of gameplay, but aesthetically too.

While I'm fairly certain we will, really hope we get a PC version sometime this year.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    https://twitter.com/AsteriskAmpers1/status/1338597050968133632

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    They removed Hot Drinks.
    https://twitter.com/MH_Rise_JP/status/1354384909658251268

^ Top  
  25. Vorark Liturgist

Vorark
    Are cold drinks still in?

Either way, the removal isn't an issue if you consider World made the mechanic pointless since the player: a) can grab them/restock from the camp chest; b) is never far away from a fire herb or cold shroom; c) can outright ignore the debuff to health/stamina.

That being said, they are "traditional" in the series and it is a bit disconcerting to see them go. Would have been better to change the drinks so they provide temporary resistance to fire/ice blight or a small elemental boost.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.