Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter Rise

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Seems like a spiritual successor of psp portable games aesthetic wise, also inherited some mechanics from Worlds+ doggo mounts.

Vorark

Erudite
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/monster-hunter-rise-announced-for-switch
Monster Hunter Rise announced for Switch

MH-Rise_09-17-20.jpg

Capcom has announced Monster Hunter Rise for Switch. It will launch on March 26, 2021 worldwide.

Here is an overview of the game, via Capcom:

About
Monster Hunter Rise is an action RPG that will transport players to the colorful Kamura Village, an all-new serene mountain locale that attracts visitors with its unique culture and innovative hunting technologies. After hunters equip their armor and select from one of the various weapon types, all-new hunting grounds await, including the ancient Shrine Ruins and more. As players defeat monsters and progress through the game, items from fallen foes can be used to craft unique weapons and armor that will increase their chances of future success and survival. Hunters can tackle these challenges solo, or with up to three other players in local or cooperative online play.

Evolving the Monster Hunter series, Monster Hunter Rise will provide players with an inventive set of new tools to track down and defeat threatening monsters. For the first time ever in a Monster Hunter game, wire-based grappling actions can be performed by using a “Wirebug” while standing or in mid-air, adding an all-new level of aerial maneuverability to hunting strategies and attacks. The game will also debut new hunting partners called Palamutes, personalized and rideable “Canyne” companions that will provide players with a new set of attack options, while “Felyne” Palicoes will return as support characters for actions like healing.

Key Features
  • Rise to New Heights – The debut of the new “Wirebug” mechanic allows for wire-based grappling actions that can be used to scale cliffs and other hard-to-reach areas, providing new traversal and aerial attack options.
  • New and Returning Monsters – The game will introduce Magnamalo, a menacing new flagship monster, as well as other new monsters like the shape-shifting Aknosom, the amphibious Tetranadon, and more. Hunters can also expect to encounter numerous fan-favorite and returning species from previous Monster Hunter games.
  • Canyne Companions – New hunting partners called Palamutes can be personalized and used to ride across the terrain, providing players with all-new traveling and attack options. On solo hunts, players can select both a Palamute and Palico to assist them, while multiplayer hunters can bring one or the other into the field.
  • The Rampage – In addition to the plethora of solo and multiplayer quests, the immersive story mode will task aspiring hunters with discovering the secrets behind the puzzling “Rampage” events that threaten Kamura Village.
  • Hunting Options – Play solo, or join up to three other hunters in local or online co-op play. The Nintendo Switch system also allows for hunting anywhere, anytime and with anyone!
  • Seamless Gameplay – Featuring maps with no loading times, the continuous gameplay ensures that players will remain on their quests as soon as the hunt begins, without transitions between areas.
Game Editions

In addition to the physical and digital standard editions of Monster Hunter Rise available for pre-order for MSRP $59.99, a special Deluxe Edition and Collector’s Edition are also being offered. The Deluxe Edition for MSRP $69.99 will include the standard edition of the game (physical or digital), as well as a digital DLC pack voucher that can be redeemed for bonus in-game content such as a “Kamurai” full layered armor set, exclusive gestures, cosmetic items and more. The limited Collector’s Edition (physical only) for MSRP $99.99 will contain everything from the Deluxe Edition, in addition to physical items including a monster icon sticker pack, Kamura Mark enamel pin and an amiibo figure of Magnamalo, the flagship monster featured in the game.​

And another MH stories game was announced too:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/monster-hunter-stories-2-wings-of-ruin-announced-for-switch
Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin announced for Switch

MH-Stories-2_09-17-20.jpg

Capcom has announced Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin for Switch. It will launch in summer 2021 worldwide.

Here is an overview of the game, via Capcom:

Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin offers both RPG and Monster Hunter fans a unique new experience with a rich storyline featuring charming characters, challenging quests and friendly encounters with familiar monsters from the Monster Hunter series. Assuming the role of a young Monster Rider who can use a Kinship Stone to form strong bonds with monsters, players can gain experience and improve their skills to form deeper connections with these wonderful creatures. When ready, players can embark on memorable adventures filled with dramatic events and heartwarming friendships as the epic tale unfolds.​

- Edit

Watched the trailer and Rise appears to be a downsized World (no loading times when traversing the maps, revamped clutch claw - "wirebug", mounts, interactive environments) mixed up with Portable 3rd eastern thematic. Wonder if it's running on the modified RE engine like the rumours claimed.

That being said, not too thrilled by the announcement. Wanted a sort of "back to the roots" game, with less gimmicks and story and more focus on pure combat. Meh.

Last edited:

Zerth

Arbiter
Stories was a mediocre jrpg that went nuts implementing rng on practically everything. Despite the game was also released on mobile, it got crappy sales . So I don't expect much of it unless they do a serious revamp of TB mechanics.

In regards of Rise. It's indeed running on the RE engine. I'll await until some sneak peek of the weapons movesets and whether they will hold on G-rank for an ultimate edition to decide if is worth playing.

Palamutes are meh, I don't see the appeal on a gimmicky hound hunting simulator.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I don't think MH is going back. Ever since MHGen where they added the questionable stance system it has been slowly inching toward more and more faster paced action gameplay. Who knows, hopefully this will be good. At least it looks like it's going back to the old MH aesthetic instead of going for the drab style of World.

Last edited:

Ialda

Learned
I hope the grappling hook will feel good. And while I'm not a fan of World, I wouldn't be totally against the idea of reusing some of the new MHW movesets in Rise.

Vorark

Erudite
Capcom's TGS presentation showcases the wirebug and the doggos. If the timestamp doesn't work, skip to 28:12.

Zerth

Arbiter
So they kinda went sekiro route. A more seamless gameplay implementation compared to Worlds grappling hook. I suppose the aerial vault from Mhgen was scraped in favour of wirebug aerial gimmicks. Wonder whether is gonna have iframes or will work like the IG vault.

Vorark

Erudite
General gameplay footage starts at 1:36:14

Dual blades gameplay at 1:46:58

Longsword gameplay at 2:42:26

Surprised to hear this game is running on RE Engine and not MT Framework like MHW, especially since this is a Switch game and I'd assume that older engine would run better on the weaker hardware than RE Engine would.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Surprised to hear this game is running on RE Engine and not MT Framework like MHW, especially since this is a Switch game and I'd assume that older engine would run better on the weaker hardware than RE Engine would.
Most likely they want the game logic code to be shared with future crossplatform MH instead of maintaining two game branches, and the RE engine isn't that heavy weight by itself, much of a game performance depends on the assets used/amount of effects/polycount etc.
RE2/RE3 can run in potato mode on intel hd if you can tolerate the occasional drop to 20 fps so a game optimized specifically for the switch shouldn't be a problem.

sys0nar

Educated
If you spend 500+ hours killing monsters so you can kill more monsters than I'm sorry but your fucking retarded, play a good game with actual meaning and purpose like Final Fantasy II.

Zerth

Arbiter

The Demo will be released soon. Now you can mount and control monsters as a puppeteer like in Shadow of Mordor.

Riding tigrex really is going to be something.

Last edited:

ultimanecat

Arcane
Demo thoughts from a hammer user:

-Mobility seems to be the key here; wirebugs mean you should technically never be without a “dash” of sorts, and monsters seem to be designed with your mobility in mind.
-Fully MHW in feel, from looser movement to item collection to tons of random birds and bugs and stuff floating around giving out small bonuses. Overall it’s okay but I never preferred MHW’s feel to the earlier stuff since it all felt kind of sloppy or haphazard.
-No idea if it’s just for the demo but I was knocking out/stunning monsters fast with just a few big hits. Mizu still carted me since I was dicking around figuring out moves though.
-I like the Palamute in principle, riding it is fun, plus the shrine map is pretty expansive. Not sure that’s really all that much of an improvement. Running from one end of the map to another on foot would probably take over five minutes.
-Monster riding seems sort of gimmicky. I got to ride Arzuros while on the Drome-clone quest by just running up to him and doing a single wirebug attack. Attacked the -drome with him for a bit and then the timer ran out and Arzuros fucked off. Damage wasn’t all that impressive, maybe got the equivalent of two full golf swing combos. Rathian was hanging around the map during the Mizu fight but I ignored her entirely to see how things went on my own.

So overall it’s fun and I’m sure I’ll get it, but might benefit to hold out for the leaked PC release when I’m sure it’ll have more content included.

Zerth

Arbiter
Still considering whether to get a switch for this game and SMT V.
That would be great if the leak comes true this year. However, I don't expect It to be released in less than 8 months or so. But I dunno.

Monster riding seems sort of gimmicky. I got to ride Arzuros while on the Drome-clone quest by just running up to him and doing a single wirebug attack. Attacked the -drome with him for a bit and then the timer ran out and Arzuros fucked off. Damage wasn’t all that impressive, maybe got the equivalent of two full golf swing combos. Rathian was hanging around the map during the Mizu fight but I ignored her entirely to see how things went on my own.

Well then It seems like might be more worth it on multiplayer as an amusing way of tanking. Does the mounted monster's attacks topple or trip foe monster easily?. You gain more aggro like having the taunt armor skill?.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Well then It seems like might be more worth it on multiplayer as an amusing way of tanking. Does the mounted monster's attacks topple or trip foe monster easily?. You gain more aggro like having the taunt armor skill?.

I’m going to play some more but from my single play-through this morning it went like it does in the video: I slapped around the monster with Arzuros for a bit until his “super” meter filled, then I did his super attack which did knock the monster over. I think you can jump off somewhere during that attack but Arzuros turned around and attacked the monster on the ground automatically. So yeah, maybe just the equivalent of a relatively easy topple for your team.

Jinn

Arcane
Having watched a fair amount of the demo gameplay, it personally looks to be a great improvement over World, not only in terms of gameplay, but aesthetically too.

While I'm fairly certain we will, really hope we get a PC version sometime this year.

Sentinel

Arcane
https://twitter.com/AsteriskAmpers1/status/1338597050968133632
After much idiocy and speculation floating around the PC version of Rise, I've decided to compile all of the info relating to this from the Capcom leaks. Quick Summary: Nintendo Exclusivity Terms Stories 2 and Rise Collab on PC Rise PC Plans/Mkt Rise Technical Specs
Rise (Snow) and Stories 2 (Rush) are slated to have a collab. One of the board meetings references evaluating extending this to the PC versions for each.
https://pastebin.com/aSBi3ktB
Marketing Strategy on a board meeting discusses the Nintendo exclusivity deal but cautions about locking to one platform https://pastebin.com/x47CK6dt The presentation it links to treats the PC version as certain.
There's technical specs for the PC version even. Uncapped Framerate. Mouse direct input (no joystick emulation). Optimized UI. Variable resolution and frame rate. Heavy warnings about not hard coding shit. https://pastebin.com/Ekn0b5Dn
Additionaly The MH Rise Demo has a string "/Render/PCTargetAPI: DirectX11", something that has no reason to exist on a switch only game. DX is a windows only thing.

Vorark

Erudite
They removed Hot Drinks.
https://twitter.com/MH_Rise_JP/status/1354384909658251268
Hi, Ichinose here.
We already showed you a bit of the ice region, but what is the #1 most forgotten item? Hot drinks! You won't have to look for them anymore because they're gone.

Are cold drinks still in?

Either way, the removal isn't an issue if you consider World made the mechanic pointless since the player: a) can grab them/restock from the camp chest; b) is never far away from a fire herb or cold shroom; c) can outright ignore the debuff to health/stamina.

That being said, they are "traditional" in the series and it is a bit disconcerting to see them go. Would have been better to change the drinks so they provide temporary resistance to fire/ice blight or a small elemental boost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom