Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monsters in the Dark: The Making of X-COM: UFO Defense

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...s-in-the-dark-the-making-of-x-com-ufo-defense

The author, David L. Caddock wrote a few other game development post mortems( Shovel knights, Rogue-likes, FTL, original Blizzard).

a067d4e0158405da85de4a126ac2e876_original.jpg

I haven't read any of his work, but the subject should be of interest to some.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Sounds interesting... except for the fact that some content, such as the John Broomhall interview, is restricted only to the rather expensive "special edition" paperback. That seems rather scummy.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Sounds interesting... except for the fact that some content, such as the John Broomhall interview, is restricted only to the rather expensive "special edition" paperback. That seems rather scummy.
Access to the "exclusive content" makes the price go from 10 to 75 indeed, which is a shame (and it is not available as an e-book)...

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Free of charge.

It has very little content though.

I've watched and read other retrospectives and none of them go that deep into the background of the game so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

That is my point actually: There is very little available on X-COM's making off, compared to some other games that had much less influence (also, I don't like spreading the content of 3 pages of reading over 13 minutes of video).

sser

Arcane
Developer
Free of charge.

It has very little content though.

I've watched and read other retrospectives and none of them go that deep into the background of the game so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

That is my point actually: There is very little available on X-COM's making off, compared to some other games that had much less influence (also, I don't like spreading the content of 3 pages of reading over 13 minutes of video).

There's actually a lot if you're willing to dig around, which I did. When I made that video none of that info was widely available and nobody had really gone over a lot of it, nor did people seem interested in X-Com's place in the context of its own era and amidst a sea of peers. I was pulling newspaper articles from the early 90s and looking at financial statements. What's left to speculation are matters of business, which I put my thoughts on in the video itself. I think this book will get it straight from the horse's mouth which is obviously the way to go, though judging by what I've read of it some of those business matters will probably never be known. Other retrospectives tend to just focus on the game itself, those are a dime a dozen.

Don't disagree about video vs. written format, just a matter of taste.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
My bad, it was indeed the first time some of it was compiled. I hadn't noticed it predated most other elements, and you are right, they were scattered around a lot, so yes, the video is more insightful then I have it credit for. Thank you, and my apologies for the previous comments. You did a great with actually.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021...ctive-look-of-the-original-x-com-ufo-defense/

Developing the distinctive look of the original X-COM: UFO Defense
Devs speak in an excerpt from Monsters in the Dark: The Making of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Monsters in the Dark: The Making of X-COM: UFO Defense tells the story of the early years of legendary strategy game designer Julian Gollop and the making of the original X-COM and is funding now on Kickstarter. In this excerpt from the book, Julian and his brother Nick coordinate with X-COM publisher MicroProse UK on the design of alien enemies and the game's cinematic intro.

Julian and Nick Gollop signed a contract with MicroProse UK in 1991. The agreement granted them approximately £3,000 per month (roughly $2,224 in 1991 US dollars) to tide them over while they developed UFO: Enemy Unknown, which the publisher estimated should take 18 months.

"They didn't really have any sophistication about planning a development release schedule for a game," says Julian. "It was 18 months: That's how long these games take, so that's how long it will be. Of course, it took a lot longer, almost twice as long as that, which got us quite worried, actually."

Nick was content with the arrangement. "To have proper funding made a huge difference to us. Before, we didn't really have money."

At the start of the project, MicroProse UK's Pete Moreland asked Julian to provide Mike Brunton and Stephen Hand, the designers assisting with UFO, a design document. Julian was as confused by this request as he was by MicroProse's earlier appeal for a storyboard. "When I produced an initial game design document for them, which was about twelve pages long—I'd never written a design document before, by the way—it was a very high-level thing. It didn't go into a lot of detail," Julian admits.

Design documents have grown into understood constructs. Developers write them to explain a prospective game's art style, atmosphere, gameplay systems, production needs, costs, and a timetable with milestone dates for completing tasks and showing playable builds or demos of the game to the publisher. In the early '90s, they were virtually unheard of.

Steve Hand called Julian to complain. The design document was so poor, he declared, that if not for his love of Laser Squad, he would have dropped the project. Julian returned to the MicroProse UK office to walk them through his plans. "I think they were happy enough with the explanations I gave, but clearly the document wasn't good enough."

The meeting illuminated Enemy Unknown's grand scope. Players would fight back against aliens through two interfaces. The first, called the Geoscape, showed a view of Earth from space. Players started with a base in a random location on the globe and built others to more quickly research technologies, build weapons, train soldiers, and more. The Battlescape interface took place on Earth and gave players control over their soldiers, where they deployed and positioned them to search out and exterminate aliens.

You’ve got the look
Julian's breakdown of the design document gave MicroProse UK's team a chance to weigh in on all aspects of development. For instance, Julian's document included sketches of aliens players would encounter. Steve Hand raised concerns about the artwork. "The original aliens were boring or comical. Some graphics were almost childlike," Hand remembers.
Hand realized he and Julian were approaching aliens from different perspectives. He was thinking of creatures seen in Marvel comics, classic horror films such as Dracula remade by British production studio Hammer Film Productions, and Gerry Anderson's UFO show. Julian seemed to have a more contemporary vision, such as abductees taken by flying saucers, experimented on, and dropped back to Earth with no memory of the encounter. Little gray men worked as a cultural touchstone, Hand thought, but the rest of Julian's sketches portrayed fantasy creatures such as gnomes, or Vikings with floppy faces and elephantine noses.

Moreland assigned Tim Roberts as Enemy Unknown's project manager, and Roberts, with input from MicroProse UK's art directors, added John Reitze and Martin Smillie to handle artwork. Reitze had been busy drawing sketches of aliens, so Julian, Brunton, and Hand went to Reitze's office to look at what he'd come up with. "We went down to John's computer and he had a whole selection of sprites. Steve Hand and I picked from those sprites which aliens would be in the game," Julian remembers.

Hand was impressed by Reitze's creations. He had combined the artistic flair of Marvel artist Jack Kirby, renowned for illustrating characters with distinctive texture and line weight and recognizable symbols such as a soldier holding a rifle to communicate visually a character's intent, with Japanese-influenced portraits far ahead of their time in 1991. "John had a superb art style that everyone at MicroProse thought was brilliant for the game: it was manga-esque," says Mike Brunton. "And it was a way of MicroProse giving added value to the product: day-to-day design and coding was being handled extremely well by Julian and Nick. Art was an area where we could bring something really worthwhile to the party."

"I didn't talk too much to John directly," Hand says, "but I'd helped to form John's brief, and I looked at all his finished work and was involved in choosing which graphics we planned to 'persuade' Mythos to like most."

Julian needed little persuasion. "I think I did most of the picking, and I was trying to pick things that would be interesting in terms of what aliens could be doing," he says. "From the images John made, I had to sort of retrofit what the alien was about and what was his role in the alien hierarchy."

War on “terror units”
Over development, MicroProse UK and the Gollops sorted aliens into low-, medium-, and high-threat categories. Sectoids, the most common type, resembled the classic "Greys," or little gray men. Sectoids wore no armor and fell easily to most weapons, but packs of them could overwhelm players who grew reckless. The aliens hailed from different species, and each species had special fighters known as terror units that intentionally challenged players' understanding of low, medium, and high threats. Terror units accompanied standard units such as Sectoids on more difficult missions, but wise players viewed low-threat invaders such as the Reaper, a bipedal creature coated in armor and able to chew on players at close range, as formidable obstacles. Any alien was a dangerous alien.

John Reitze showed off more alien types in Enemy Unknown's striking introduction cinematic. Painting in vibrant colors that came to life over MicroProse UK composer John Broomhall's eerie score, UFOs arrived on Earth and unleashed aliens such as the purple-skinned Muton, a behemoth outfitted with high-tech weaponry, on Earth's cities. That was when the X-COM Force hit the scene. Soldiers clad in space-age armor opened fire with heavy-duty rifles and machine guns. The invaders roared their fury before fleeing in their spaceships. With the attack squashed, the X-COM Force returned to base to tend to their wounded and continued surveillance, knowing that another large-scale attack was a matter of where and when, not if.

Reitze's use of colors, smooth animation, and scenes that flowed perfectly between unsettling and action-packed galvanized the team. It also set the table for players' primary mission. Obliterating aliens was step two. Step one as commander of the X-COM Force was to win the allegiance of Earth's governments, who would repay X-COM's loyalty and protection with funding for players to perform research.

"Everyone loved it," Hand remembers, "and it seemed to crystallize more clearly than anything previous what the finished game should be trying to represent: violent, comic book action, with a dark, realistic kick."

The team dreamed up more alien types than they could use. Mike Brunton proposed an editing program for players to create invaders. "Once the tactical, turn-based combat was going to be linked to an alien invasion game and planetary defense management system, those ideas fell by the wayside," he says.

Another unused special unit (men in black as created by Julian) would have infiltrated governments to sow dissension in countries funding the X-COM Force. Over several turns, funding from those countries would dwindle as the aliens spread. "We were told to remove the men in black from the game because MicroProse had another title in development which featured men in black, and they didn't want it to conflict with UFO," remembers Julian. "That game never saw the light of day. So it was on a bit of a whim that we removed it, and a bit silly, really, given the success of men in black in the Men in Black film, which came later."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dp...ightmare-set-the-stage-for-the-original-x-com

How a Publishing Nightmare Set the Stage for the Original 'X-COM'
The Gollop brothers achieved a breakthrough with 'Lords of Chaos', but a publishing deal gone bad would force them to invent a masterpiece.

Monsters in the Dark: The Making of X-COM: UFO Defense tells the story of the early years of legendary strategy game designer Julian Gollop and the making of the original X-COM, and is funding now on Kickstarter. In this excerpt from the book, Julian and his brother Nick collaborate on the gameplay for Lords of Chaos, a fantasy-themed sequel to one of Julian's earlier hits, and an influence on X-COM, the game he would turn to next.

Julian set aside lasers, grenades, and droids. It was time, he decided, to return to one of his earliest creations, the wizarding wars of Chaos. Sales of the ZX Spectrum were still going strong in Europe. That platform would make an ideal launching pad for Lords of Chaos, a sequel he wanted to encompass everything he'd learned about game design over the past several years.

Although Games Workshop owned the publishing rights to Chaos: The Battle of Wizards, the rights had reverted to Julian by the time he was ready to expand on what he viewed as one of his most threadbare games. Chaos was fun, but lacked depth in mechanics and visuals. Julian wanted to design more than another tactics-heavy wargame. A fan of roleplaying games, he stirred RPG elements into Lords of Chaos such as earning experience points through combat and equipping wizards with more and more powerful spells.

"As you earn experience points, you can improve your wizard to go on to the next mission," says Julian. "We added an option whereby you could just create a character for one particular scenario. I also had this idea, because I still liked the idea of multiplayer, that some scenarios would be multiplayer and others would be single-player. The single-player-only ones would be more quest-type [scenarios] where there were certain objectives you had to complete."

Lords of Chaos included a character editor, accessible through a separate program that could be finicky on the cassette tape edition of the game; the version available on floppy disks worked much better, enabling players to invest more in the creation and evolution of their wizard. "In particular, the idea with multiple scenarios was that you had a wizard character you could carry over from one mission to the other. There's a lot more of a role-playing element in it, I guess. I don't think the idea of a tactical RPG existed at the time."

Not all the systems and concepts of Chaos made the jump to its sequel. Instead of pushing players to battle one another and their creature minions, players in single-player or multiplayer sessions gathered treasure. "So, in theory, you might never encounter another wizard," Julian says. After gathering treasure, they must step through a portal that transports them to the next scenario, or mission. "That's more important than battling because if you don't get through, you've lost. There's more of an emphasis on exploration, discovery, and finding treasures, rather than just killing your opponent."

1614982557300-lords-of-chaos-zxs01.png

AI-controlled wizards explored the world as well. Players could battle them and gain more experience, or stick to treasure hunting. Unlike before, where a single hit toppled every creature and wizard, characters in Lords of Chaos had hit points, so battles became more tactical engagements. Other variables determined how players chased victory. The exit portal remained open for a set number of turns, prodding wizards who crept around the map to move faster. Terrain was more sophisticated as well, such as forests impenetrable to the eye but able to be flown over, and buildings with roofs that prevent flying creatures from dropping into them.

"You've got two things," Julian says of the gameplay. "You've got a sense of time running out, because the portal only remains open for so many turns; and you've got a sense of risk because you might bump into the enemy wizard and he might try to stop you from getting through the portal. He doesn't have to kill you to win; he just has to stop you from getting through."

A few new spells stopped rather than killed players, leaving incapacitated wizards to either break free or sit and sweat while the portal's remaining turns trickled away. One returning strategy from Chaos was deploying monsters for actions other than combat. As a way around their wizards' finite action points, players moved their avatars into safe locations and continued exploring by controlling their monsters. Spells boasted levels, so players could specialize in one spell, or one type of spell, rather than learn lots of spells but master none.

"You could create a really [combat-oriented] wizard by leveling up your enchant spells to create really powerful magic weapons," Julian explains. "And if you rode into battle on something really tough, like an elephant, for example, you had quite a formidable force, there."

Not all creatures consumed the same amount of action points. Players had to think several steps ahead and mete out actions points as needed. Julian wasn't sure that flavor of complexity made for a better game. "It was more sophisticated, but whether that sophistication made the game more interesting to play is still debatable. Lords of Chaos gave you a lot to manage. Once you've got lots of creatures moving around, trying to collect stuff—it can be a bit of a headache trying to remember what you're doing with all of them."

Playing Lords of Chaos with friends, the main draw of the first Chaos, heightened the game's intricacy. "I think it was more successful as a single-player experience, because the multiplayer experience was a very slow game. On the Spectrum version, we played one multiplayer game with four players, and it took something like four or five hours," Julian recalls. "I was getting into this idea of making games more complex and sophisticated, which is not always the best thing to do, of course. So I think Lords of Chaos was a less successful game, more of a nerdy game, for sure. There was more depth to it in terms of its game systems, but it lacked immediate accessibility, even compared to Laser Squad."

Nick and Julian converted Lords of Chaos to the 16-bit Atari ST, while Blade Software assigned an in-house developers to convert the code to Commodore Amiga. Rather than clone the 8-bit version for the more powerful Atari ST, Julian and Nick reworked and added to Julian's design. "We wanted to make it more graphically appealing," Nick remembers. "I had to do some optimization of code. That was mainly something that I used to do. If there were areas of the game that weren't running fast enough, I'd change algorithms to see if I could make things run quicker."

Lords of Chaos on Amiga boasted animated sprites and backgrounds, such as swamps that bubbled and spit, characters that walked in place while awaiting orders, and candle flames that guttered in unseen breezes. The 16-bit conversion also featured a new gameplay mechanic, the fog of war, that tied in with enhanced visuals. A military term describing the uncertainty of a situation, fog of war had been incorporated into board games to hide obscure pieces by turning them face down or away from opposing players. Julian and Nick implemented fog of war in Lords of Chaos by cloaking unexplored terrain in darkness.

"The map was revealed according to what your creatures could see, so the game used a lot of line-of-sight checks in the 16-bit versions," says Julian. In the 8-bit versions, the map was just there. We were really reaching the limits of what you could do on a Spectrum in terms of the sophistication of the game."

"That became a major part of the tactical games that we did and added quite a lot to the gameplay," Nick adds. "It made our games more distinct from the board games Julian had been designing to games that could really only be done on the computer."

Despite its complexity, Julian and Nick hoped Lords of Chaos would prove as commercially successful as Laser Squad. Then a distributor phoned Julian asking when he could expect the hundreds of copies he'd ordered from Blade Software. "That set alarm bells ringing," Julian says.

The brothers investigated and discovered that Blade Software had been mired in financial problems. That only increased their anxiety: Were distributors missing copies of Lords of Chaos because Blade didn't have the funds to manufacture more games and boxes? The game made its way to retail slowly. Months later, Julian and Nick waited on royalty checks that never arrived. They confronted Jeremy Cook and Tony Kavanaugh, who had the gall to assume they would publish the next project from Mythos Games. "You're not getting Laser Squad 2 unless you pay us our outstanding royalties on Lords of Chaos," Julian told them.

Rather than keep working and hope the checks would arrive, the Gollops dropped Blade. "We realized we needed to find a good publisher for our next project, which is what we did," says Julian.

https://kotaku.com/x-com-ufo-defense-would-have-been-canned-if-its-creato-1846435323

X-COM: UFO Defense Would Have Been Canned If Its Creators Hadn’t Secretly Revolted
Chapter 11: Silent Mutiny

Great producers do more than keep development teams on track. When bureaucracy shake-ups send tremors through a publishing house, great producers stabilize their teams by shielding them from fallout.

While Sid Meier’s early strategy titles garnered critical and commercial success for MicroProse, other divisions within the studio floundered. The market for flight sims, the company’s big sellers before Meier branched out into other types of sims, was dwindling. Elsewhere, co-founder and CEO “Wild Bill” Stealey had invested millions in an arcade division that would engineer MicroProse 3D, an array of four boards stacked atop one another: one for video, a second for audio, a third for 3D calculations, and a brain that kept the other three in sync. The division only released coin-op two games, a version of F-15 Strike Eagle that boasted stellar graphics but lacked many of the features found in the PC version, and Battle of the Solar System, a first-person action title pitting players against robots. Both games wowed critics with flashy visuals but didn’t attract enough quarters to justify the arcade division’s existence, leading MicroProse to shutter it.

Other problems hit MicroProse overseas. On September 16, 1992, a day later named “Black Wednesday,” the pound sterling collapsed, causing a cascade of financial disasters that drove Britain into a recession. The housing market crashed and many businesses failed. Nine months later, on June 18, 1993, MicroProse co-founder Stealey reached out to Gilman Louie, a good friend and president of fellow sim publisher Spectrum Holobyte, to ask for help. Sid Meier’s Civilization was a hit, but between the millions Stealey had invested in the failed arcade division and the fallout from Black Wednesday, his company was struggling. Stealey and Louie drew up terms for a merger: Spectrum Holobyte would invest $10 million into MicroProse by June 30, and Stealey would resign as president and chief executive.

Following the merger, managers named the conglomerate MicroProse Inc., and made sweeping changes. They closed two UK studios, laid off 40 developers from the Chipping Sodbury office, and started to make publishing decisions.

“Spectrum Holobyte were given control, and they came over to review the product line,” remembers MicroProse UK’s deputy director Pete Moreland. “They looked at UFO and said to cancel it. We said to them, ‘We think it’s a great game. We shouldn’t cancel it.’ Gilman Louie, head of Spectrum, basically said, ‘No. It’s not what we want. Get rid of it.’”

Pete Moreland and MicroProse UK’s director of publishing Paul Hibbard were devastated. They knew cancelations were customary when studio ownership changed hands. New management brought a new vision for developing and publishing, and Enemy Unknown didn’t fit that vision. But their new bosses failed to comprehend the potential of Enemy Unknown.

A few days later, Gilman Louie and the rest of the company brass returned to the States. Moreland, Hibbard, and MicroProse UK CEO Adrian Parr shut themselves in an office, where they proposed a silent mutiny. “We all loved the game and weren’t prepared to kill it off,” Moreland explains.

Adrian Parr had been MicroProse UK’s lead accountant before his promotion to the head of the studio. He knew its finances intimately, so he thought that he, Moreland, and Hibbard could take a calculated risk. “Adrian said, ‘Look, this isn’t a high-cost project. For the amount of finances left to complete it, it won’t be a big draw on resources. We could probably keep it going with no one noticing,’” recalls Moreland. “Adrian said we could do this, so we could.”

Moreland, Hibbard, and Parr tightly guarded word of Enemy Unknown’s cancellation. Stephen Hand, designer and producer at MicroProse UK, and the project’s biggest advocate since 1991, found out years later. “This would all have happened at executive level and so would have been a Paul-and-Pete decision. I learned about it myself only following Julian’s GDC talk in 2013,” says Hand, referring to X-COM lead designer and programmer Julian Gollop.

Not even the Gollops knew what had transpired. To Julian and Nick, life seemed to go on as normal. “There were people within the UK studio, such as the QA team, who were very supportive and enthusiastic about the game,” says Nick.

“It would have been soul-destroying for them,” Moreland adds. “They’d been working so hard on it and had such trust in us. We thought it was better to keep them positive and doing good work. We’d already decided they would get paid for the rest of their contract. There was no reason to tell them at that stage.”

Andrew Luckett, a QA tester on Enemy Unknown, cackled when he won a mission by throwing a grenade through an open roof and blasting every alien in the household into bits. He knew the new regime wasn’t keen on the game and, along with other testers, had lobbied to continue production before MicroProse canceled it. “They had it wrong because it was one of the best games we’d played in a long while,” Luckett recalls. “We also knew our UK management team knew this and they had a certain amount of autonomy. It’s fair to say that without QA being so enthusiastic, it may well have been canceled.”

Just before Christmas, leadership came to Adrian Parr and Pete Moreland with a request: They needed a game, and they needed it yesterday. “The quarterly results Spectrum would have to report were not looking good,” Moreland explains. “They asked if we had anything in development that we could pull forward to the next quarter.”

Moreland smiled. “We said, ‘Actually, that game you told us to cancel? It’s nearly complete.’ And they were thrilled. Suddenly it was the golden game.”

https://www.polygon.com/2021/3/9/22314308/how-xcom-got-its-name

X-COM got its name, in part, because ‘XCON’ sounded like ‘ex-convict’
A new book excerpt tells the story of how the X-COM series got its start

Frowning, Julian Gollop hung up the phone and turned to his brother Nick. MicroProse UK wanted them to come in and discuss a sequel to their turn-based strategy game Laser Squad, but the publisher had a specific request. “They requested a storyboard of the game,” Julian says. “I was very confused by this request. I mean, how do you storyboard a strategy game? It’s not a film.”

Julian envisioned an introduction sequence that set the stage for the tactical gameplay to follow. When he and Nick arrived at MicroProse UK toting their storyboards, they were shown into a room where 10 developers waited. Pete Moreland introduced the brothers to Stephen Hand and Mike Brunton, two of his designers. Moreland would manage the project, but Julian, Hand, and Brunton would assist with design aspects. Tim Roberts, a producer who Moreland planned to assign to the project, was there, along with Rob Davis from the marketing department. If the studio was to make a new game, marketing needed to know what it was so it could prepare materials for it.

With pleasantries out of the way, Moreland got down to business. MicroProse UK liked the demo, but was less enthusiastic about producing Laser Squad sequel. Moreland wanted a bigger game. Julian asked him to define “bigger.” He half-expected Moreland to reference Civilization and was not disappointed. “They wanted an equivalent of the Civilopedia in the game,” Julian says, speaking to Civilization’s in-game reference manual detailing every unit, building, and technological evolution in the game’s research tree.

Craddock_Monsters_in_the_Dark_special_edition.jpg

The cover of the special edition of Monsters in the Dark: The Making of X-COM: UFO Defense

Moreland viewed the Civilopedia as one of many features to work into Mythos’ game, and something greater. Civ was successful for MicroProse U.S. in part because of its grand scope. The UK studio wanted a game that could compete. “Looking back, I think there was a rivalry between the U.S. and UK offices,” says Brunton. “I may be being unfair, but I think the U.S. saw us Brits as country bumpkins who didn’t really get the whole PC gaming thing, but were good for lightweight games on other systems. Partly, of course, this was because UK coders didn’t work on PCs: they were all people who’d grown up programming Sinclair machines and BBC Micros.”

“We were looking to compete with our American brethren were producing, which were much bigger games. What Julian and Nick had was, although a strategy game, it was small scale,” Moreland says.

“At the senior level, we were trying to make MicroProse UK successful, so this kind of competition was to be expected,” adds publishing director Paul Hibbard.

MicroProse UK knew that most of the company’s games made in the U.S. and brought overseas did well. However, games produced in the UK didn’t always translate to the States. The company wanted something that proved to its peers it was just as adept at making a bestseller. “Hence the requirement to do a ‘bigger’ strategy game that would have the same perceived weight as Civilization,” says Brunton. “It’s pretty remarkable that Civilization and X-COM came out of the same company, at much the same time, and are both still spawning sequels 20-plus years later.”

To Julian, interest in making a bigger and bolder game came as fantastic news. “It was really cool because I ultimately had designs to make bigger, more involved and interesting games for sure, especially on the PC.”

While both parties agreed that the game needed to broaden its scope, no one seemed able to articulate precisely how they should do that. The meeting went for half an hour, then an hour, then 90 minutes. “To be honest, it wasn’t going that well,” Moreland says. “We were going around in circles without much being decided. I was becoming quite frustrated. No one agreed about the way it should go. We’d been going for an hour and a half without anything registering as progress.”

Then Moreland was struck by an idea: How did Julian feel about aliens? When Julian stared in reply, clearly confused, Moreland elaborated. A lot of the team members were fans of UFO, a short-lived British TV series from the 1970s that centered on the covert efforts of a government organization to prevent alien invasions. Producer and director Gerry Anderson collaborated with his wife, Sylvia, to develop it as an action-adventure series influenced by UFO sightings reported during the late ‘60s. The Andersons added the terrifying concept of aliens abducting and harvesting humans for organs, a notion inspired by cardiac surgeon Christiaan Barnard, who attained fame for performing groundbreaking transplant operations. Set in a dystopian 1980s, UFO courted an adult audience by weaving in mature themes such as characters struggling to hold down personal lives while working on top-secret work, and dark scenes of murder, abduction, and harvesting organs.

“They also had a moon base with an interception squad, and a satellite surveillance system called SID: Space Intruder Detector,” Moreland says. “That was kind of how the stage was set for chasing UFOs.”

Julian hadn’t watched UFO and was concerned with how aliens would affect his game’s design. The designers pointed out the importance of a good hook. “It’s not enough to have a really cool game that plays well,” says Brunton. “As soon as you say ‘UFO,’ you’ve raised certain expectations in your audience. People know what’s coming when you tell them you’re doing a UFO game: flying saucers, mysteries, and bug-eyed monsters invading Planet Earth. The idea has instant traction, and it’s easier to market a game that is based on something that people already know than to sell the idea behind the game as well as the game itself.”

Stephen Hand recalls being one of its most enthusiastic supporters of the UFO theme and shepherding its incorporation. The Laser Squad 2 pitch was a blank slate. There was no story and only a vague setting. Without a hook, it boiled down to a generic spaceman-with-ray-guns-versus-alien-bugs encounters. A strong theme would bring it up to MicroProse’s lofty standards. “In its heyday, one of the tasks MicroProse UK excelled at was to take people’s diverse demos and ideas and to work with those people, if they wanted, to transform their original vision into ‘a MicroProse Game,’” he says.

MicroProse UK’s team knew its target demographic. Male, adult or middle-aged, patient, and detail-oriented. These customers bought MicroProse products not just for the strategy game in the box, but for the box and its goodies: huge manuals that added color to a product’s lore, outlined its baffling but nuanced control schemes, and hinted at all the advanced concepts players would have access to as they played.

Games branded with the MicroProse logo conveyed a verisimilitude that grounded players in their setting. Centering the Gollops’ game on alien invaders and the dread they inspired would transform their demo from a generic space setting into a world teeming with details, and a worthy peer to MicroProse heavyweights like Civilization.

Hand and the other designers impressed on Julian the value of setting the game on earth rather than in space. Players would respond better if events unfolded in their backyard, so to speak, rather than on a fictional planet. They wouldn’t just be fighting to kill aliens. They would be fighting to save their friends and family.

The meeting adjourned, and Julian ensconced himself in research. He bought video tapes of UFO episodes and gravitated to the concept of organizations that intercepted alien ships from locations such as moon bases. “That influenced the design, although we didn’t have moon base interceptions,” he says. “We intercepted ships in the air, and again on the ground when they landed.”

Although Julian came to understand MicroProse UK’s enthusiasm for UFO, he didn’t care for many of its elements. He felt the aliens, in particular, were boring. Too humanoid, too recognizable as actors in bad costumes. He preferred designs chronicled in Alien Liaison: The Ultimate Secret by Timothy Good. Ostensibly nonfiction, Good’s book covered everything from the mythology of aliens and their spaceships, to the Men in Black, to abductions and experimentation, to comments from Bob Lazar, an employee at Area 51 who claimed the government had captured nine flying saucers and attempted to reverse-engineer them. Further, Lazar asserted the government had captured and interrogated aliens, and flipped the script by dissecting them for their organs.

Good’s book also displayed classic interpretations of extraterrestrials, including the now-ubiquitous little gray men. “The actual alien, the main alien I wanted, was the little gray-man character,” says Julian. “My original designs for the aliens were very limited; I think I had about four or five types. There were some robots and some monster types. But I wanted the little grays to be the main alien type.”

Julian folded other ideas from Alien Liaison, such as the concept of aliens mutilating cattle into his design. Hand recalls Moreland championing the idea, which Moreland took from issues of Fortean Times, an ongoing British magazine that delves into strange happenings: “Julian remembers that after meeting with us, he went away and researched real UFO sightings and abduction stories. And yet I do have a strong recall of that being Pete’s focus. Maybe this was something Pete developed later.”

A short time later, MicroProse and the Gollops held another meeting and, agreeing on theme and project scope, signed a contract to publish UFO: Enemy Unknown, a strategy game meant to evoke mystery and dread over faceless enemies.

Much later in development, Hand, Moreland, and Brunton brainstormed names for the elite research organization that players would control in their effort to intercept and eradicate invaders. Julian had pitched several such as DISC (Defense Intelligence Security Corporation) but wasn’t attached to them. Brunton wanted a name that evoked U.S. military jargon like DEFCON. “I was the military history specialist with almost every Jane’s Recognition manual on my desk,” he says, “and proposed a few names as sounding like military nomenclature, a bit like NATO or U.S. military organizations. U.S. Central Command, for example, gets abbreviated to CENTCOM.”

One of Brunton’s suggestions was XCON, for eXtraterrestrial CONtact Force. Hand populated his list with more generic titles and preferred Brunton’s name but saw two problems with it. “XCON” sounded too much like ex-convict, and “contact” was too soft-sounding for an organization of hardened soldiers who fought and died to protect Earth against ruthless alien invaders.

Moreland pushed Hand to make the final call. Staring at his computer screen, Hand made a quick change, then considered the result.

X-COM, short for eXtraterrestrial Combat.

“And boom — there you have it,” Hand says. “Mike Brunton deserves 95 percent of the credit. But staring at that screen, looking at the list of names, I had no idea I was about to create a brand.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/1...e-author-david-ellis-on-qa-and-writing-guides

Pro Strats: X-COM (1994) strategy guide author David Ellis on QA and writing guides
Former MicroProse scribe David Ellis spoke with me about writing the guide for the original X-COM, taking charge of Civilization II's in-game encyclopedia, and more.

I've collected strategy guides since I was a kid. In fact, my collection got me into trouble more than once. I'd slip a guide between the folders of my Trapper Keeper and smuggle them into class, where I'd absorb pro tips and expert strats behind a wall of textbooks. Yes, I was that weirdo who read strategy guides like novels. I admired the artistry that went into their layouts and text, and was agog at the info organized so colorfully on their glossy pages.

That's what made talking with David Ellis, strategy guide author for many games, Sid Meier's Civilization II and UFO: Enemy Unknown among them, such a pleasure. He also authored the Civilopedia, Civ II's massive in-game encyclopedia—and a game construct that made a huge impact on the development of X-COM.

[Author's Note: Monsters in the Dark: The Making of X-COM: UFO Defense tells the story of the early years of legendary strategy game designer Julian Gollop and the making of the original X-COM, and is funding now on Kickstarter. This excerpt comes from the book's special edition, available exclusively on Kickstarter.]

mitd-kindle-cover-01.jpg

Monsters in the Dark chronicles the making of the original X-COM, and is funding now on Kickstarter.
David L. Craddock: What led to your interest in computer games?

David Ellis: I played my first coin-op video game when I was nine, Atari's Breakout, at a bowling alley where I bowled in a league. That would have been about 1974. I was instantly fascinated by video games, and I eventually got myself an Atari 2600 by saving up paper route money. I was hooked from that point on.

Craddock: Did you always want to be a designer, or were you happy working in any position in the industry?

Ellis: When the video game craze took hold in the late '70s and early '80s, I saw a 60 Minutes segment about Atari. One of the things they talked about was testing video games. I was a full-on video game junkie at that point, and I told my parents that the job that I wanted was testing video games. Not particularly realistic at the time.

I actually eventually wanted a career in film or television production. I really never thought seriously about a career in games until I was actually working at MicroProse.

Craddock: How did you come to work at MicroProse?

Ellis: While I was in college, I had a job selling computers at a small retail store. I got to play a lot of games on a bunch of different computers—we sold Commodore, Atari, and IBM compatible machines and software. After I left retail, I got a job working for the government in DC as a "telecommunications specialist," which amounted to a glorified telephone operator that also sent occasional telexes. Remember those? The money was better than retail, but I hated the commute and the job was boring. I started browsing the help-wanted ads in the paper every Monday morning.

One day, I saw an ad for a customer service rep at MicroProse. I loved MicroProse games and knew a lot about them, and I had a lot of practical experience in computer customer service, so I applied. I figured it was something I could do that was closer to home and more fun until I figured out what I wanted to do long term. That job turned into a career.

Craddock: What was the culture and atmosphere like at MicroProse?

Ellis: Second to none. If you ask pretty much anyone who worked at MicroProse, they'll tell you it was the best job they ever had. I've never worked in a more creative and fun environment. We worked hard, and we sometimes worked long hours—but, mostly, we did it because we absolutely loved what we did and we were proud to be a part of creating great games. We did things together as a studio all the time—from paintball to RC monster truck rallies to putting together an impromptu band to play at the company Christmas party.

We also got to do a lot of cool things that were directly related to work—like visit and tour the Oceana Naval Air Station while working on Fleet Defender Gold.

Like I said, we worked hard—but we had fun doing it. That's an important part of game development that is often lost in today's crunch time all the time game development studios.

Craddock: Your first job was in customer service, I believe. What did the job entail?

Ellis: Answering phones and mail (actual mail—we didn't have e-mail at that point, although we had a BBS which was run separately from customer service). People would call or write in with problems and we'd either talk them through the problem or send them a patch disk to fix known problems. There were three to four of us in customer service. We were always pretty busy.

Craddock: Everyone I've spoken to who worked in the industry in the '80s and '90s spoke of wearing many hats. Was this the case for you during your time in customer service?

Ellis: Not at all. I started in 1992, and MicroProse was really big by then—about 120 people in Hunt Valley, and offices in Japan and the UK. MicroProse was everything under one roof—development, marketing, sales, QA, customer service, even the warehouse was on-site. The only people who wore multiple hats, really, were the developers who had been there for a long time—like Sid Meier, Scott Spanburg, and Andy Hollis—who were both programmers and designers. Most everyone stuck to their own thing.

Craddock: How did you move to QA?

Ellis: Darklands. It was MicroProse's first (and only) RPG, and it was huge. I started working extra hours part time in QA after work to help test the game. That's how I heard there were going to be some full-time openings in QA. I had already proven I could test by the time I asked for a full-time position, so I could make the move pretty smoothly.

Craddock: How do you remember the QA work environment at MicroProse?

Ellis: QA was, mostly, a lot of fun. We were all crammed together at tables in what was actually supposed to be a hallway. Well, it was a hallway and it was used as such. We just happened to work there. Eventually, we expanded to take over the back half of the employee break room; there was a dividing wall that could be closed. It was close quarters, and that meant there was lots of camaraderie. It also meant that, if one person got sick, everybody got sick. Most of the department was down with mono one time. We shared a phone. It was a regular germ-fest.

As for hours, it varied from project to project. As I said, Darklands was a huge game, so a lot of overtime was worked on that game. It was still being tested a year after I started in QA! On some games, there was always a push from some management, especially marketing, for us to stay late testing—even if there wasn't a new build available for testing.

When I got to be a lead tester, I always resisted this tendency—I wouldn't let my team work what I liked to call "political overtime": Working late just for appearances. But sometimes you didn't have a choice. One of our testers—now the sound designer at Vicious Cycle Software, where I currently work—likes to brag that he once worked a 25-hour day in QA—it was the day the clocks changed in the fall.

The awesome thing about QA at MicroProse was that, for the most part, the development teams worked closely with us and respected our opinions and ideas as well as our bug reports. We got to learn a lot about the development process in MicroProse QA. Many of the QA guys I worked with became designers.

civilization-ii-encyclopedia.gif

Civ II's Civilopedia.
Craddock: What was the first game you tested?

Ellis: Darklands version 3.0, the original release. My first big game as a lead tester, almost a year later, was also Darklands version 7.0, the final release.

Craddock: What are some of differences testing games from different genres?

Ellis: There's a big difference. Understand, there were no automated testing systems back then. Everything was actually playing parts of a game over and over and over and over to find bugs.

The easiest games to test were the animated graphic adventures. I worked on all three—Rex Nebular, Return of the Phantom, and Dragonsphere. They were long games in terms of gameplay time, but they had the advantage of being divided up into discrete rooms, and there were a finite number of actions you could perform. So, a systematic test of the game systems could be done by making a checklist of all the rooms and all the actions, and then having testers go room to room pushing, pulling, talking to, etc. every object with which the player could interact. That made it easy to test the functionality of the game. (The flow and the connective elements of the game still had to be tested, of course, but the controls and functionality were straightforward.)

Sims were a lot harder to deal with. I only tested one or two sims, but those typically saw the team split up into those who were testing the simulated vehicle's performance while others tested mission flow, individual missions, and scenarios. Testing a scenario in a sim could be among the most tedious types of testing. You played the same scenario again and again, trying to come up with different ways to stress test (aka: break) it. After about 20 hours on the same scenario, you could come up with really creative things to do just out of sheer boredom.

Strategy games were the most difficult to test. Games like Civ generally had their systems tested and perfected during development, both by the developers themselves and QA testers, so when the game got to QA, most of the testing was about making sure the systems all worked together properly.

When Civ II was being developed, Bryan Reynolds sent builds every few days to several people who were good at Civ to get feedback on new units, new systems, and so on. By the time the game got to QA, a lot of the balance was already done—that makes it easier to deal with in terms of testing.

Craddock: You wrote the Civilopedia for Civ II. What did that process entail? I can only imagine how long it must have taken to track down all the information players might need for a game that involved.

Ellis: That was a pretty big project. Research was a little harder in 1995 than it is now (no Wikipedia) so a lot of it was book research and coordinating with the design lead, Brian Reynolds, on the things that he was trying to convey with some [in-game] Advances. (I remember "Machine Tools" being a hard concept to write about.) Then, we had to track down and get rights to the images we used in the Civilopedia. "Multimedia" was a buzzword in the industry at that point, so the Civilopedia had to be a "multimedia Civilopedia." Hence, photos instead of art.

I also programmed the Civilopedia using Macromedia Authorware, the scripting tool we used to add multimedia content to Fleet Defender Gold, which I also worked on. The programmers on the project had to do some pretty nifty programming tricks to get the Authorware executable to run seamlessly with the game itself.

Craddock: On the one hand, many players love Civ because they can read volumes and volumes of fascinating history. On the other hand, some players just want to find the info they need and get back to playing. In writing the Civilopedia, what was your goal in terms of the style and presentation of information?

Ellis: I took an encyclopedic approach that I probably wouldn't take today. Back then, there were players who liked to read. Now, most of them can't be bothered. At any rate, the player could click past the Civilopedia without reading it. I suspect the most useful part of the Civilopedia was the interactive tech tree, which I thought was pretty neat. You could click through Advances and see where they'd take you. Each was hyper-linked to the Civilopedia entries for their associated Advance, Units, Buildings, and Wonders. I'm guessing that at least some of that was interesting/useful to the player. I hope so, anyway.

x-com-playstation.png

X-COM: UFO Defense on PlayStation.
Craddock: What did you enjoy most about testing Civ II?

Ellis: Even though I was a designer by the time Civ II went into development, I got to be one of Brian Reynolds' test subjects when he was in early development on the game. I was one of the "Civ experts" who gave him feedback on the units, Advances, etc. that he was adding to the game.

Craddock: Jumping ahead a bit, how did you receive the opportunity to design Civ II: Multiplayer Gold Edition?

Ellis: By that time, I was a lead designer at the MicroProse studio in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Chapel Hill had done CivNet, the multiplayer version of the original Civ, for which I wrote and programmed the interactive tutorial, so they got the nod to do multiplayer Civ II. As the designer at the studio—and as someone who was very familiar with Civ II—I got to be the designer. It was an awesome opportunity.

Craddock: Civ 1 and II were games that had been designed for single-player experiences. What sort of design changes were made to make Civ II fun and interesting as a multiplayer experience?

Ellis: The main thing that had to be changed was the early part of the game. Until you get your cities going and get some units out there, you do little in the first few centuries other than press the spacebar to go to the next turn. This is fine in single player, but in multiplayer, you have 7 people just pressing space and waiting for a pretty long while before things really get going. Then, it takes a long time (especially on a larger world) to expand far enough to meet another player.

My solution to this was coming up with the idea of the Double Production option. When you selected this, every terrain square produced twice as much of what it normally produced, effectively doubling the speed of everything in the game—research, unit production, building construction, and so on. This made the earlier portion of the game (and the entire game) go a lot faster. The only negative side effect was that players often ended up producing pollution before they had the means to deal with it. Even so, this was a minor consideration that was far outweighed by the benefits.

The one other thing I did was move the Civilopedia text to a non-multimedia version of the Civilopedia. The multimedia version was too clunky and slow for network games.

Craddock: Can you give us a broad overview of what putting together a strategy guide for a game as complex and intricate as X-COM entails?

Ellis: Looking back at it now, the UFO Defense strategy guide is half manual, half strategy guide. I remember taking the approach of teaching the basics of the game and expanding on the manual because I thought the manual wasn't nearly clear enough to teach the game properly. For the actual strategy portion, I heavily relied on talking to the Gollops, who made themselves available to me for any questions, and getting raw game data from them. I also talked to the US testers who played the game the most to compile their strategies. Finally, I played a lot and wrote my own strategies.

My approach to strategy guides changed a lot after the first couple. More strategy, less instruction. But I always relied a lot on input from the designers of the games when available, and on personal experience playing the game.

Craddock: Since there are so many ways players can approach X-COM, how did you go about documenting strategies for winning the many types of ground missions; what to research first, second, and twelfth; etc.?

Ellis: I don't actually think I did a very good job of that in UFO Defense guide. I went more with a raw data approach—give the players a view of how everything works under the hood and let them decide how to best craft their research to get the stuff they want the fastest.

Craddock: The guide includes lots of charts, tables, and other graphics. How did you go about compiling that data and organizing it into a format players would find useful?

For UFO Defense, it was as easy as asking Julian and Nick Gollop for the data. They sent me a disc with everything I needed. I then put it into tables in a way that I found useful and hoped that other players would find it useful as well.

Craddock: What did you find most challenging about writing a strategy guide?

Ellis: Like testing games, the type of game you're dealing with determines the difficulty of writing the guide. Real-time strategy games and shooters make for the easiest strategy guides in my experience—when you can map out levels for the player and point out the locations and compositions of encounters, that's half your guide right there. Strategy games like Civ II are a lot tougher because there are so many potential play styles and paths to victory. That means a lot more in the way of viable strategies and potential approaches to the game.

The most challenging thing by the time I stopped writing strategy guides was the deadline. On the first few guides I wrote, I had several months to research and write them. Eventually, though, the deadlines got tighter and tighter. I wrote the X-COM Interceptor strategy guide in 28 days, which wasn't too bad, since I was the game designer; I knew all the strategies. But some later guides I did had to be researched and written in three weeks.

That's just not enough time to play the game and develop any meaningful strategies. That's why I stopped writing strategy guides. Too hectic and stressful.

Craddock: What did you enjoy most about writing the guide?

Ellis: Getting a behind the scenes look at the stats that went into the game. It was really educational in terms of learning game design. And, of course, I got to play a lot of UFO Defense. That's always a good thing.

Craddock: Looking back, what does the seminal game mean to you today?

Ellis: UFO Defense is a good example of how strong gameplay can make a game interesting even two decades after its release. The game isn't much to look at these days, but it's still as fun to play now as it was then. It's a testament to how good the game is that the Firaxis XCOM game is so similar to the original in terms of core mechanics. That's the mark of a good game—it stands the test of time.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
Hand was impressed by Reitze's creations. He had combined the artistic flair of Marvel artist Jack Kirby, renowned for illustrating characters with distinctive texture and line weight and recognizable symbols such as a soldier holding a rifle to communicate visually a character's intent, with Japanese-influenced portraits far ahead of their time in 1991.
:lol:
nnr47q9.png

The mythologization of non-existent grandeur will inevitably continue, perpetuated by plebs and washed up devs begging on Kickstarter after they realize that
they are sad hacks and actually sucked all along...

A horse of course

Hand was impressed by Reitze's creations. He had combined the artistic flair of Marvel artist Jack Kirby, renowned for illustrating characters with distinctive texture and line weight and recognizable symbols such as a soldier holding a rifle to communicate visually a character's intent, with Japanese-influenced portraits far ahead of their time in 1991.
:lol:
nnr47q9.png

The mythologization of non-existent grandeur will inevitably continue, perpetuated by plebs and washed up devs begging on Kickstarter after they realize that
they are sad hacks and actually sucked all along...

I want to have sex with that monke

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Last edited:
Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
X-COM's making off, compared to some other games that had much less influence
Btw, did XCOM actually have any influence on any industry trend? Cause I dont see it.
I waited for XCOM likes for a decade! And all I got was XCOM Enforcer...
Genre literally died and it wasnt even popular before. Genre as in tactics with a low amount of individual people/units combined with a strategic overlay, eg research. Afterlight came out in 2007. After Afterlight came no game that combined strategic elements and tactics until nuXCOM in 2012 - another 5 years?
While after XCOM games went the direction of FPS, RTS, """RPG"""

Eg if Maltese Falcon represents a popular start of post-factum defined Noir genre, a genre which continues through the 40s and 50s, than XCOM is an anomaly blip no one cared about.

And modern tactics dont ape XCOM - no - they ape XCOM2012...

sser

Arcane
Developer
Now that I think of it, it would be great to have the source material in the video description.

Probably have the original script somewhere on an HD or thumbstick but lord knows which. I think I found the playtesters by cross-referencing and collating videos/articles until I could nail down who was who. The business background info was also mostly publicly available documents as well as news articles. The wayback machine/internet archives had to be used for a few things in place of ordinary google searches. At the time, it was a bit of a bug hunt to find some of it. I did send some email feelers out to some people as well but got no response. In fact, the only dev I've really talked to was Ian Currie who was JA2's director/designer/producer etc. Harder to get someone's ear if you're just a schmuck from nowhere.

X-COM's making off, compared to some other games that had much less influence
Btw, did XCOM actually have any influence on any industry trend? Cause I dont see it.
I waited for XCOM likes for a decade! And all I got was XCOM Enforcer...
Genre literally died and it wasnt even popular before. Genre as in tactics with a low amount of individual people/units combined with a strategic overlay, eg research.

X-Com itself was heavily influenced by Civilization, so it kinda falls under that in the 'coaching tree' of sorts, but I wouldn't confuse a lack of immediate mainstream popularity with lack of influence. You also have to realize X-Com's place in time: the series got lost in a deluge of real-time strategy games. The revival of the series itself came in the void left by RTS's quick rise and fall. They were also under MicroProse, an increasingly desperate company looking for any success possible which is how you end up with garbage like Interceptor/Enforcer or just bad influences like throwing real-time into Apocalypse.

There's a feeling some standup comics have where sometimes you just to wait for the times to catch up to you. I think it was either said by or for Louis CK, who had a very cynical and dark sense of humor but it didn't fit your general comedy audience until the mid 00s started to come around. I think X-Com falls in the same category, because the core DNA of the game is far more prevalent these days than it was at its release.

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
I think X-Com falls in the same category, because the core DNA of the game is far more prevalent these days than it was at its release.
Why are you repeating what I already said? Also,
the core DNA of the game is found in Laser Squad and board games. Strategy overlay was tacked on by Microprose.
What do you think is the core of XCOM?
Name me a modern shovelware tactics that carries XCOM DNA?

The influence of X-COM is that it has a lot of internet fans, most of them are plebs, npcs and hipsters, but no one is trying to immitate X-COM.

Arguably, Dwarf Fortress is a closer relative to X-COM than XCOM2012...

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think X-Com falls in the same category, because the core DNA of the game is far more prevalent these days than it was at its release.
Why are you repeating what I already said? Also,
the core DNA of the game is found in Laser Squad and board games. Strategy overlay was tacked on by Microprose.
What do you think is the core of XCOM?
Name me a modern shovelware tactics that carries XCOM DNA?

The influence of X-COM is that it has a lot of internet fans, most of them are plebs, npcs and hipsters, but no one is trying to immitate X-COM.

Arguably, Dwarf Fortress is a closer relative to X-COM than XCOM2012...

How am I repeating what you said when you say it has no influence and I say it does? Literally two completely different things.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
bad influences like throwing real-time into Apocalypse

I don't know, mang, I kind of liked it, even if it did lead to notably higher fatalities and collateral damage on the missions :D Then again, I liked Apocalypse as a whole, even though I never finished it. It's biggest fault in my opinion is that they released it a bit undercooked. Especially the strategic layer would have benefited from more time in the oven.

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
the series got lost in a deluge of real-time strategy games. The revival of the series itself came in the void left by RTS's quick rise and fall. They were also under MicroProse, an increasingly desperate company looking for any success possible which is how you end up with garbage like Interceptor/Enforcer or just bad influences like throwing real-time into Apocalypse.
HWEW DUXKINF REPETETION
now name me a fucking imitator to x-com simulationists character faggotry

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom