Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonscars - Gorgeous Gothic Action Platformer

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg

ss-98412019bb28cb443a7faff1ea0a5b3ae9cf9ad7.jpg

ss-5b308a31969e6633b64cac2315d2bd6ade2615c0.jpg

ss-d442d0b9e735b7090c9c4a1bf9f58335f25706db.jpg

header_steam_candles_text.gif

Under grim moonlight, the fierce clayborne warrior Grey Irma battles, driven by a lonesome purpose: Find the Sculptor, and unravel the mystery of her existence.

Push the limits of your combat skills, and master new abilities to progress through an unforgiving nonlinear 2D world. Face off against the relentless darkness that seeks to destroy you. In Moonscars, every death is a lesson learnt—and as you overcome each challenge, new truths will be revealed.

Layer_63_copy_7.png

Before you rise, you first must fall. Mold yourself into a master warrior through a cycle of trial and triumph.

A_grimly_gorgeous_world.png

Explore the shadows and secrets concealed in the moonlight of a painterly nonlinear 2D realm marred by desperation and despair.

Test_your_resolve.png

Sharpen your skills and reflexes in challenging, action-packed combat. Slash and parry with your sword, wield unique special weapons, and command powerful Witchery.

____The_Moon_hungers.png

Unearth a strange, dark fantasy tale filled with twists and intricate worldbuilding. Seek the truth of your creation and be rewarded.

___Clay,_bone,_and_ichor.png

Bear witness to tales and memories of betrayal, suffering, and revenge as Grey Irma and her fellow beings of flesh and clay seek truth and purpose.

—---world marred by despair and desperation—---

notpl

Arbiter
Looks very muddy and indistinct, I don't find anything about the visuals praiseworthy whatsoever. In particular the enemies are totally illegible, which is presumably why the devs felt the need to add an obtrusive glowing red "INCOMING" marker before all their attacks.

Ivan

Arcane
This is up on gamepass so I gave it a spin. As a big lover of metroidvanias, I'm finding this hard to put down. The art is nice, if a bit muddy. The gameplay and combat is what has me hooked. Great difficulty with punishing enemies and thus far simple platforming. More Castlevania than Metroid in level design, the combat is the star here. There's a skill tree that unlocks powers that are assigned to the shoulder buttons that function off a mana pool that is also used for healing (kind of like Hollow Knight if memory serves right). Yeah, thus far having a great time with this. Better than "solid" I'd say.
:thumbsup:

Ivan

Arcane
update thoughts: encounter design remains strong, it's amazing how that alone can carry a game. this reminds me of Blasphemous with a lesser emphasis on world exploration/platforming. Highly recommended.

thus far a more-than-solid :4/5: (esp if you enjoy games w/tough combat)

Ivan

Arcane
Have experienced more bugs toward the endgame, particularly with gates blocking progression, forcing reloading to checkpoints. The more I play, the more I'm reminded of Sekiro's combat, at least when it comes to the lethality. You can get rekt quite fast, but you can also destroy fools if you nail the parry windows.

Rolled credits. Great combat experience. Not much else. Some tedious level progression bugs here and there. Some odd design decisions (namely that you can't pick your preferred special move/and I couldn't get why I wasn't able to unlock checkpoints toward the end, forcing longer treks toward the finale).
:3/5:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom